General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat position on cycling shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-12 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Cleat position on cycling shoes
I have been messing around with the cleats on my cycling shoes in an effort to make sure the ball of my fore-foot is lined up with the center of the pedal. This activity prompted another question . . . should my shoe be pointed straight forward? Or angled ever so slightly towards the bike (peigon toed)?

Welcome your thoughts / wisdom

2008-03-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1268209

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Cleat position on cycling shoes
I think that really depends on you.  Personally I have cleats that float to allow my feet to move some.
2008-03-12 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1268211

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think perfect mechanics would have it straight forward, just like walking and running.  That's why I place them to be straight, but there is enough float in the cleat to make some adjustments.

Many people probably don't have perfect mechanics, so It's probably more up to comfort but I would avoid anything too extreme (more than a degree or two).

Let me take a second to do the math.... at 90 rpm, you repeat the pedaling motion 5400 times in just one hour.  If your mechanics are wrong, that adds up to sore knees or injury in a hurry.  IMO.

I'm no bike expert so someone with more experience can trump my opinion, but it makes logical sense to me....

2008-03-12 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1268209

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Based on what i've been told/read 

You want it to be a neutral pedaling postion, not forced one way or the other.  If you are naturally pigeon or duck foot, then you may need to do that to your cleat position.  Most people are going to be straight or close to it.  cleat postioning can cause ankle, achilles, knee and other injuries if done wrong.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cleat position on cycling shoes Rss Feed