General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to determine race day nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-12 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Subject: How to determine race day nutrition
I did an indoor tri and got a horrible headache in the middle - I contribute it to poor pre/during race nutrition.  I've noticed on days I go really  hard, I get headaches.  I'm trying to work on figuring out a nutrition plan for my long hard workouts and for race day.  I'm lost on where to start.  I see people talking about salt tabs, powders, gatorade, and food.  My question - where do you start the process of figuring out what you really need with out going overboard.  I would prefer to stick to something simple, that is relatively easy to get in a store.  My indoor tri, I burned about 1260 cals according to my HRM, my sprint in June is about 2x the distance I covered at the indoor tri, so I know I will need to figure it out for then.

2008-03-12 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1268331

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: How to determine race day nutrition

Good question - I'm not sure I know the answer but here is what I did.....

I did a search on BT for something like "race nutrition" and found several people who had  VERY detailed plans.  Down to exact oz of fluids to take in at exactly what times, and food, and tabs, etc.....I found one the "felt" about right based on what I kind of new already and used that as my jumping off point.....  Tested it out on hard training days to get what felt comortable.

For me, I stick to just water and maybe an electrolite drink (gatorade, endurox, accelerade).  I like to ration it (when the weather is not too hot) by drinking one bottle per hour drinking every 15 minutes.  PLUS, I make sure I'm well hydrated before I even start.  I don't worry about gels/gu's or tablets an anything shorter than 3 hours....  If it's hotter, or I have a higher intensity, I plan accordingly and bring more fluids or know I can refill on the trip.

My HIM plan is obviously different.  since I'm out there 7+ hours (yes, I'm kind of slow) I bring along gels and tabs and/or shot blocks (just to put something more solid in the tummy).  I just follow the "dossage" on the gels/tabs/blocks.  I think it's every 30-45 minutes.  But I don't double up..  Maybe shot blocks then 30 min later a gu, etc....

My plan is simple, but that's how I like it.  Really, just trial and error.

IMO - headaches are from not being hydrated.  I get TERRIBLE headaches if I forget to drinik.  It's easy to ignore sometimes, but I have had enough migrains knocking me on my a$$ to remember now.

2008-03-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1268375

User image

Expert
Virginia

That does sound like a good place to at least start, I really like your plan because it's based on simple products.  I am very slow.  My indoor tri was 1 hr total and I literally did about 1/2 my sprint tri distance.  So assuming I get a little faster in all 3 areas, I still would think I'm looking at going at least 1.5 hours.  I don't plan on doing anything longer than a sprint this year, so I'm glad to hear that gatorade would suffice.

I don't know if my headaches are all dehydration though - on a typical day, I drink at least 3L of water, not including what I drink during exercise.  I don't really drink anything else except for the occasional diet pop or chocolate soy milk.  Do I really need to drink more water than that?

2008-03-13 12:36 AM
in reply to: #1268628

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I read an once for every pound you weigh is good.  I know I don't get in that much.  I just make sure I get plenty in me before a workout.....
2008-03-13 12:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
I also attribute headaches to dehydration. Were you drinking through your indoor tri?
Did you have enough to drink the day before?

I've done many sprint tris, one olympic and a few HIMs.
While completing sprint tris my only nutrition was Gatorade.
Olys were when I started adding Gu and HIMs was Gatorade, Gu & PowerBars.

Consulting a nutritionist was the way forward for me.
'
2008-03-13 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Yup, I drunk water before, during, and after.  I've always heard to drink around 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water so that's kind of what I aim for.  I fall a little short, but pretty close.  It sounds from you guys though that maybe I need to do more water, so I will try to start aiming for 4L a day and see if that helps.  And maybe just start using gatorade for long workouts/races.  Thanks.

2008-03-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1268999

User image

Sensei
Sin City

kimmitri408 - 2008-03-13 4:34 AM Yup, I drunk water before, during, and after.  I've always heard to drink around 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water so that's kind of what I aim for.  I fall a little short, but pretty close.  It sounds from you guys though that maybe I need to do more water, so I will try to start aiming for 4L a day and see if that helps.  And maybe just start using gatorade for long workouts/races.  Thanks.

That's probably it.  I just realize I have to be drinking ALL day to do that.  So I just try to drink ALL day.  It should even be more since I live in the desert.

2008-03-13 1:10 PM

Here's what I do for sprints if it helps any.  For the HIM distance I did get way more into it, but I usually don't get too involved for sprints.  Funny story - for my HIM, I ran with a girl I just met for a few miles.  She pulls out a packet of JellyBelly sport beans and a packet of gel and goes, "do you think I should eat these?  I've never tried them before.  What do they do?". 

2 hours prior: A sensible breakfast and some HEED or water as needed
Before start: 1 Gu
During bike:  1 Gu in last 5 minutes and 1 bottle Heed, but I never finish it all.  I usually don't bother with the bike Gu anymore, but needed them in the beginning.
During the run: nothing

Edited by DMW 2008-03-13 1:10 PM
2008-03-13 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1270073

User image

Expert
Virginia
DMW - 2008-03-13 2:10 PM

Funny story - for my HIM, I ran with a girl I just met for a few miles. She pulls out a packet of JellyBelly sport beans and a packet of gel and goes, "do you think I should eat these? I've never tried them before. What do they do?".

See that's what I'm trying NOT to do, lol.  I don't want to try something new during the tri and really get jacked up.  

Good advice though.  A sensible breakfast - what is that?  I eat a lot of stuff for breakfast - including left overs from dinner - depending on my mood.  I am reading a really good book on eating clean and eating super foods and just trying to improve my nutrition overall right now and from what I read, a little complex carb and a little protein is the key for pre-training..is it fine to go with that on race day?  When I'm training, I eat this, except for first thing in the morning, when I tend to go the banana and water out the door method. 

2008-03-21 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1271063

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Kimberly,

I finally met with a nutritionist since I am going to do a HIM this summer. For sprints, water and maybe some Gatorade on the run course works for me. For 6 hours, I need a better plan.

What the nutritionist is doing is helping me determine my sweat rate and then based on my estimated time to finish each leg of the tri, perscribing the amount of fluid, carbs, and sodium I will need to ingest to keep me from "running out of gas".

I think one could do this on there own, though I was impressed with her "math" skills in coming up with the numbers.

If you are interested on more, we can talk offline, so I don't bore others with the details.

But then again if you are doing a sprint, I wouldn't get to concerned. Up to one hour, most people can live on just water. Fro 1.5 - 2 hours, add some Gatorade or Accelerado on the bike if your stomach can handle it. On my training rides over 1 hour, I take Accelerade and I notice that I stay stronger than with just Gatorade.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to determine race day nutrition Rss Feed