United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, coffee, gatorade... wait wait wait.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1/4 mile and stretched.
Swim
  • 04m 20s
  • 150 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

My best swim effort at a Triathlon to-date!
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Bike
  • 34m 54s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 16.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Best 3 laps at Rose Bowl I've ever done!
Transition 2
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

This was with a pretty long run to the pool area. UGH!
Run
  • 27m 50s
  • 3.36 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a gross drink from the Whole Foods tent after strolling back from the pool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went as fast as a possible!

Event comments:

This has to be one of my best Triathlons ever! I hit some Personal Bests on this race. I guess the course being a 'home' course or training area for me had a lot to do with how I planned to do this race and I'm thankful for that. I do all my BRick workouts at the Rose Bowl and my race plan was to go all out. No 'saving' myself for the bike or swim. Just let it all out on every single event.

My only issue I had with race day was the fact that I scheduled two triathlons within 5 days apart! Mental note - do not schedule two triathlons within a week apart! Why? Well, as I started my run, I realized that I was NOT fully recovered from the UCLA Triathlon after only 5 days rest.

That being said... I had a plan to go all out on the run. And that's what I did.

Coming up to the first mile I felt like maybe it was not a good idea! I was teetering with an 8 minute mile and decided that if I just get to the top and around the bend, I can cruise down and not work as hard and still maintain a pace faster than I'm used to.

Well, I did.

I got to the top and rounded the bend and I fought hard to maintain a solid pace as I passed the water station. I rounded the corner and headed down the road as fast as possible. Every so often I'd notice that my pace was a little slower than I wanted so I picked it up and tried to relax. Focusing on NOT tensing up helped me get to the finish line because I was really giving it everything I had and I was on the verge of walking!

But I didn't slow down!

And guess what! My 5K split was a personal best for a 5K distance but more importantly for a Triathlon. As a reverse Tri, I tend to 'save some' for the ride. But this time I figured I'd recover 'some' on the ride before giving it my all. I was worried that I wouldn't have anything left but maintained my race plan to run hard and to continue the pace into transition to my bike. Normally I take a walk as I reach transition just to catch my breath and rest my legs. But this time I ran to my bike in the Male 40-44 age group section.

So here are my splits:
Mile 1 0:08:08
Mile 2 0:08:25
Mile 3 0:08:22
Last .36 0:02:55
Total 3.36 miles: 0:27:50 (ave 8:17/mile, 7.24 mph)

5K Split: 25:28 (PERSONAL BEST!)

I'm a little disappointed on my Mile 2/3 splits because I felt I should have done those faster than my Mile 1 split. Usually I run my last mile faster but man, I was really fighting hard to keep it up. The downhill helped and yes, my race plan actually worked. But what if I went slower on Mile 1 and really pushed mile 2 and 3? Would that be better? I'll have to try that run around the Rose Bowl and see if I can match it on a training day.

Transition 1 was fast.

It always could be faster but it was fast enough. I decided to take off my bike shirt because it was getting warmer. So that took a few extra seconds. I slipped on my bike shoes and put on my helmet. But then my helmet was too tight for some reason! I tried it on before the race to make sure it was fitting correctly but I guess after the run, my head swelled with the sweat and heat. I made the adjustment, which again took several seconds. Finally, I grabbed my bike and headed to the exit where I struggled with clipping onto my pedals for some reason.

Mental note: Practice with shoes already clipped onto the pedals for next triathlon!

And off I went.

So despite the extra time spent with the shirt and helmet situation, my transition went smooth. Oh... except that I left my glasses on my towel! Ugh.

T1 Time: 1:48

I didn't dwell on the fact that I left my glasses in transition. And for a fleeting moment I thought of running back to get it but that would have been dumb. If it were a 50 mile ride, I probably would. But 3 laps around the Rose Bowl I'd let my eyes dry out and suffer a little (my eyes are really sensitive and I get infections [a stigh] if I ride or run without glasses for some reason).

I'm always thinking, I'd make up time on the downhill, but the time I really need to make up is on the uphill. This is where everyone passes me up. It doesn't matter if they have a tri-bike or mountain bike, I get passed on inclines. Small or large, a steady incline is my monster. On a steeper shorter hill I can really do well. I just need to work on it more. I was going a little faster than I normally do when I train around the Rose Bowl so that was good. And on the downhill I pass everyone who passed me up on the incline. So I know I can be fast on flats or inclines, or as fast as the other cyclists, but I need to be faster and stronger going up. I've been focusing on hill training more this year, and it seems to help the endurance part, but for some reason I can't get enough lasting strength through the climb and have to make it up coming down.

The bike went well though. I was a little dizzy the last 3 miles and tried to clear my head. I was worried I'd get off my bike in transition and fall flat on my face so clearing my head was a priority. I took it slow toward the dismount and lost time cruising to the transition area but I think it helped get my bearings together.

I posted the fastest mile splits for the Rose Bowl and overall for a 10 mile ride so it was another Personal Best at the Rose Bowl!

Mile 1 0:04:28
Mile 2 0:04:08
Mile 3 0:02:14
Mile 4 0:03:22
Mile 5 0:04:25
Mile 6 0:02:33
Mile 7 0:03:36
Mile 8 0:04:35
Mile 9 0:02:39
Last .85 0:02:54
Total 9.85 0:34:54

This isn't the fastest ride I've ever had, but it was the fastest 3 laps around the Rose Bowl I've ever had. The fastest ride I've ever had was in a Duathlon with rolling hills in Sacramento. I rode 16 miles and averaged 17 mph. But this was the best effort on the Bike at a Triathlon ever! That, following a PB 5K split! Wow.

Transition 2 went well too. No pain, no cramps and no falling flat on my face. I took off my helmet and shoes, grabbed my goggles, kept my socks on and slipped on my slippers.

Whew.

I figured keeping my socks on would prevent me from bending down again and possibly triggering a cramp. I ran from T2 to the pool which was what, 200 million yards or so away. It was a pretty good run and I got to 20 yards away before having to catch my breath.

And that's where I gave up a lot of time. I took off my socks and walked to the edge of the pool where I stood for about 5 seconds trying to catch my breath. About four people jumped in before I eventually went in. I plunged into the water which was nice and warm.

T2 (which includes the run, walk, and 5 second pause at the edge of the pool): 3:45

I got to the surface and focused on stroke and breathing and let me tell you, this was THE BEST swim effort I've ever had in a triathlon. It's not my Personal Best swim time, but it was my Personal Best swim effort of a triathlon to-date! It didn't matter that it was only 150 meters, what mattered was that I was focusing on moving and moving and moving!!!

The first turn was a madhouse. People touching the wall, a bunch getting under the lane, there was a couple pushes on my back (hey, it's LA haven't you heard of traffic?!) then it was another bump and grind for 50 meters. I was in the mix of things and it felt great to be swimming in a crowd. I was drafting someone in front of me, there was another person on my left that I was able to keep a lead on, and someone was nailing me from my right. I wasn't reaching as far with my stroke as there were feet right in front of me but I think it helped as a draft. The 2nd lap went smoother than the first and again, a crowd at the wall where people treaded water, pushed people on the back, and fought to get over to the last lane and the swim for home.

That last 50 meters was tough. I had to catch my breath swimming on my side before digging deep and just stroking my way to the finish. I was next to another guy who every time I took a breath he did so we were practically looking right at each other as we swum in close proximity. I was by the wall so I actually got to the line of people waiting to get out of the pool first. And that was a crazy situation in my opinion.

Race Volunteers were calling out bib numbers and punching it in their hand held thing and I'm not so sure this was an accurate 'finish' time for 150 meters, or the race in general. I was halfway up the ramp before someone shouted out my number. They didn't take the bottom part of my race number or anything so I have no idea how the timing of the event worked. But I didn't really care. I just wanted to rejoice in the fact that I gave it everything I had, it was the best effort I've ever given to a Triathlon, and I was feeling great!

From a personal best 5K split, to the fastest average 3 lap MPH at the Rose Bowl on my bike, to the best swim effort I've ever had, this has got to be the best performance at a Triathlon I've ever had thus far.

150 meter swim time: 4:20 (great for me!) Anything under a 3:00/100 meter swim is great for me and I did this in an average of 2:53/100 meters.

Final time: 1:12:38

WOW! I want all triathlons to be like this!

It will only get better!

The Pasadena Triathlon was a well-run event. I wish there were more vendors during the early morning pre-race period, and more vendors there overall. I was hoping to pick up some gels before the race but there weren't any being sold. The bathrooms at the Aquatic Center were nice and empty as I think most people didn't know about them. So I had some convenient bathroom visits a couple times in the 2 hours I waited for the race to start and not that outdoor smelly, dirty public bathroom stuff. Let's keep it hush-hush.

The transition area was extremely crowded; it could be bigger in my opinion - and closer to the pool if they could figure that out.

The swim should be 400 meters - this would definitely create more space because it was crowded in those lanes! The pool is definitely big enough for 400 meters! UCLA did it their first couple of years: A 400 meter snake swim. And this year UCLA did a 400 meter circle swim that seemed to work well despite the wave start times. Maybe Pasadena could do a Swim/Bike/Run as well.

There were a lot of beginner Triathletes there and I was happy to help them with their questions on transition area and where to exit, run with bike, and general race thoughts, etc.

There were a lot of participants, which makes me believe it was a success. I'd love to see a series of maybe three Triathlons in one year for The Pasadena Triathlon. Each race longer and more challenging - maybe utilize the neighborhood for a longer run and a longer, more challenging bike ride. Tour of California got to do a 5 mile circuit type race, why not The Pasadena Tri? And we could finish (or start) it off with a 400 meter swim or use both pools and have an 800 meter swim where you cross over from one pool to the other!

Overall, this race was extremely fun. It was especially fun because this is my 'home' training area - for BRicks. And - it was just a few miles from home and extremely easy to get to. Within thirty minutes after I got out of the pool, I was in a hot shower at home! And by 10:15 I was sitting with my family at Granville's in Burbank for breakfast; which is one hour after I crossed the finish line.

I'm definitely doing this race again next year!

Last updated: 2008-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:20 | 150 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Crowded lane swim!
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:54 | 9.32 miles | 16.02 mile/hr
Mile 1 0:04:28 Mile 2 0:04:08 Mile 3 0:02:14 Mile 4 0:03:22 Mile 5 0:04:25 Mile 6 0:02:33 Mile 7 0:03:36 Mile 8 0:04:35 Mile 9 0:02:39 Last .85 0:02:54 Total 9.85 0:34:54
Wind:
Course: Fast
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:50 | 03.36 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
My best 5K run ever! Mile 1 0:08:08 Mile 2 0:08:25 Mile 3 0:08:22 Last .36 0:02:55 Total 3.36 miles: 0:27:50 (ave 8:17/mile, 7.24 mph) 5K Split: 25:28 (PERSONAL BEST!)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-13 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: Pasadena Triathlon

2008-03-13 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1269264

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Pasadena Triathlon
Another race??? Less than a week after Ironbruin??? You cr-aaaaaaaa-zy! Wink Great job on the PBs! I could have never pulled down PBs so close to Ironbruin. You rock!
2008-03-13 12:45 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Excellent race report. I may have been right next to you the whole way, our times (what I know of mine) were very close. You took the exact same tack I did with this race, which was to go all out all the time and do it as fast as possible with nothing left at the end. Congratulations on your PBs, it always feels good to know you gave it hell and succeeded. You are a BAMF for doing IronBruin and then this one. Their proximity is exactly why I did not do IronBruin. I do all my bricks, or did up until a few weeks ago, at the Rose Bowl as well, maybe we'll run into each other sometime. In fact I'll be riding there tonight while my wife has our dog at handling class near the aquatic center. Overall great job!
2008-03-13 11:01 PM

User image

Newport Beach
CONGRATS on all the PB's...Great Great Job.

You should be very proud of yourself, and I some of the suggestions for additional races and improvements to the race are spot on.

Keep it up

Brad
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pasadena Triathlon Rss Feed