Ottawa Irish Rugby Club
-4C / 25F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 15s
Overall Rank = 182/201
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 47/49
Pre-race routine:

Up early and jumped in the shower. Had some oatmeal for breakfast. Picked up Anne-Marie and arrived at the race venue about an hour before the start.

The forecast called for some freezing rain so we wondered if we'd race at all but it turned out okay.
Event warmup:

Since the 5k started 10 min before our 10k, it was not possible to warm-up on the course. As an alternative, Anne-Marie and I warmed up by doing loops of the side streets and then running back behind the start line. I was well warmed up before the race start and felt great.
Run
  • 1h 15m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I am really pleased with my performance in this event. My focus all week has been on ensuring that I was mentally prepared. I was! I was able to stay focused on the moment for most of the race and kept up some really good positive self-talk. On the few occasions where I started to lose it I was able to snap back to focusing and to my plan. I was back into "piloting the ship" mode for most of the race like back in the Cookie Run.

I was able to run the entire distance. I did not take a single walking step. Not one. I even ran through the water stations and ran while drinking , which is a new one for me. Another new phenomenon was that I actually passed some people in the second half of the race. ;-)

What would you do differently?:

I forgot my gloves but I probably wouldn't have worn them for most of the race anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the high school and stretched in the gym.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In training, we have been concentrating on building up my distance to get ready for the 1/2 marathon. So I've been doing a lot of long slow running and am not really used to picking up the pace right now.

Event comments:

I ran this race quite conservatively. I may have been able to push myself a bit harder but I was a bit leery of burning out. As this was only my 2nd 10k ever, and my first since 2003, I really wanted to use this race to build confidence in my ability to run the whole race and pace myself well. I definitely accomplished that goal. I am so happy at how I handled this race mentally as this has been an aspect of my running that I have struggled with in the past. It is really nice not to be miserable and down on myself for the whole race.

I am so psyched to be able to run a 10k race this early in the season as in the past I've generally not been in very good shape at this time of year. Not to mention being healthy. ;-) I am very excited to see what the upcoming season brings. Thank you Duncan and Jane.

Last updated: 2008-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:15 | 10 kms | 07m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 47/49
Overall: 182/201
Performance: Good
I was able to keep my heart rate at approximately a steady 174 bpm until after the turn-around (except for the hill). Coming back I kept it just under 180 until the last 1.5 km. Max heart rate today was 185.
Course: Out and back along the canal. One hill at Carleton U and a couple of other small inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes