General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 31s
Overall Rank = 256/462
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/52
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and loaded the bike. Double checked everything I packed last night and went to pick up my brother (who also raced - and beat me by 2 minutes).
Event warmup:

Met some other BTR's - Jeepfleeb, Karhooligan and BKarhu. Did some light stretching, prepared my race area, etc. I did get to break the wrapper seal off on the toilet paper rolls in one of the port-o-johns outside so in that respect I got 1st - overall nonetheless. No trophy though.
Swim
  • 05m 15s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim. The guy behind me caught up to me right before the ladder but due to the backup getting out of the pool he couldn't pass me. So in that respect I still have yet to be passed in the swim portion. Bike and run though are entirely different stories.

I still think I have a lot of time to drop here as I really haven't been concentrating on my swim as much as I would like. I am going to stick to my current training plan for the next 4 weeks then up the distance to get more of a workout in.
What would you do differently?:

More pool workouts in my training schedule.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I got my shirt and shoes on pretty quickly but fumbled around with my gloves and helmet. I wound up sticking my gloves in my mouth and trying to put them on while riding. Looking back at it, for a sprint I don't think I will use the gloves next time as I don't think they are all that necessary for this short of a distance plus.

Leave the gloves in the bag. I also want to get tri shoes where I can ride without socks to save some time as well.
Bike
  • 44m 46s
  • 12.64 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I changed the distance to 12.64 since that is what my bike computer showed. I dropped 2-minutes off my time from the Monster Tri in October but I still have a lot of room to improve. Stayed on the big ring most of the race which was something I wanted to do. I did loose my chain on the first loop coming down the first hill on Davis but was able to pedal slowly and get it to jump back on the big ring. When you're good, you're good. Overall my bike pace was pretty consistent with what I usually do, although that isn't nearly as good as I want it to be. I ALMOST hit 17MPH average for this race which would have achieved one of my 2008 goals.

More bike time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I think I got through T2 pretty well. If I can get some biking and running shoes where I don't have to wear socks I think it might help some.

Not really anything. For me, I got through this one pretty quickly.
Run
  • 28m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm getting better with my running. I improved over the Monster Tri from October by about a minute. It was weird, at the end I felt like I could have kept going, I just couldn't make myself go any faster though.

I tried to pick up the pace at the water station but if it did improve it couldn't have been by much. I think if I just keep with my running training the time will continue to come down. If it comes down slowly I'm fine with that. I never was much of a runner anyway so I'll take any improvement I can get.
Post race
Warm down:

I had two pancakes and waited for Jonathan to finish while talking to other BTr's. When he was done I went back and had two more pancakes. After that I washed it down with coffee and more pancakes. Did I mention I liked the pancakes?
We got finisher medals which I thought was a nice touch, especially since my time is far from getting me to the podium just yet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike definitely leaves me room to improve as does the run to some degree. If I can just get to the 18-20MPH range I think my time will really improve.

Last updated: 2008-02-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:15 | 300 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/52
Overall: 71/462
Performance: Average
Suit: trishorts
Course: Snake swim in a 6 lane pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:46 | 12.64 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/52
Overall: 296/462
Wind: Some
Course: Relatively flat 2-loop course on city streets. Minimal hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:04 | 03.11 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/52
Overall: 240/462
Course: Out and back run through a flat city park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-15 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Subject: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint

2008-03-15 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1273822

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint

Hey there, it was nice to meet you.  Good job taking the things you feel you can improve on and putting them down.  It helps in your endeavor to make the changes.  Very nice race and RR!

Chris

Edited by karhooligan 2008-03-15 5:09 PM
2008-03-15 5:00 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
Nice job Dennis.  Great job on the swim!  That wind was tough in stretches on the bike.  It was nice to meet you and hopefully, we'll some bike rides in together in the coming weeks/months.  I recall you mentioning that you run the "Take on the Heat" run route...I do too!  Maybe we can push each other every now and then and both build our speed.  I ran two sub 25 min. 5k's during the week...but it did not translate during race (of course the cramp calves and dehydration may have had something to do with it..lol).
2008-03-15 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Yea  Baby  another Colony peep racing !!!!!!

great job out there it was a bit cool so your fingers might have been cold.  If you have aero bars I put my gloves on them then but them on while riding to save some time in T1 

2008-03-15 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Nice Race man -- You've made some good observations, and found areas to improve -- that's great.

Kicking 2 minutes off your time from the same course just 6 months ago is a MAJOR accomplishment -- Congratulations!

2008-03-15 7:19 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Nice improvements since you hit this one before! Great job and RR!! Good luck with the rest of your training and season!

2008-03-15 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I felt the same way at the end of the race. I felt like I had energy left over, but couldn't really go any faster. Good job out there today!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed