Baldassari & Leestma Race Mgt.
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 24m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 7:00. Ran a few errands and got breakfast for my daughter. Hit the road about 8:30, picked up a bagel and peanut butter on the way.
Event warmup:

Jogged from registration to my car and back after I signed up. About 1/4 mile each way. Found my fried Jay as he arrived and waited while he signed and and got set up.
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I went into this kind of as a last minute thing. Even with that for some reason I was expecting around a 22:00 run. In hindsight not sure why I felt I'd be that close to my PR since I've barely been run training for months now while I focus on my swim and to a lesser extent bike.

Started off in the 1st 1/4 of the pack (about 300 people altogether) and new almost right away that my legs didn't feel real fresh. Ran the 1st mile in 7:15 so was fairly happy when I heard that but almost immediately developed a side cramp and some discomfort in my left calf. Just kind of slowed down to try and work it out but was staying right with Jay so was assuming we were still keeping a good pace as the last 5K we ran together he broker 21M. As we finished the 1st loop had to move over for a fire engine (roads were closed otherwise) and at the time didn't think anything of it. Heard this morning from my Dad that someone dropped and died within the 1st 100 yards. Really puts into perspective any disappointment I had from this race. I mean who the F*** cares if I ran 2 minutes or so slower than I wanted to. A father of 4 never made it home. Very sad. The rest of the race was mostly uneventful for me. There was a lady in front of me the entire race with a rather large behind who I planned on trying to catch in the last straight run to the finish but felt like I might relive my breakfast if I pushed it that hard so just finished with a good kick but nothing special. Found another race in 3 weeks I'm going to do. Plan on training the next few weeks to see what improvement I can make prior to the Bassman Du at the end of April Definitely going to need more fitness than this.
What would you do differently?:

Train for the run more but maybe more realistically treat races as a training exercise or a measuring stick especially early in the year. Damn competitive spirit made me think I could just turn it on and run 7 minute miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched it out and ate some Craisins and some Cranberry juice. Kind of makes sense since the Ocean Spray plant is located in the town.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, all that damn swimming the last few months.

Event comments:

Will probably use this as a 1st of the year race again next year as it makes me notice I've been neglecting what should be my strength!

Last updated: 2008-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: About a 1/4 mile run to a 2 loop course. Very level course with no hills, up or down, to speak of. The weirdest part was there was water at the 1st turn at 1/4 mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-16 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run

2008-03-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1275084

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Subject: RE: Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run
Geez. What I wouldn't do for a 24 minute 5k.

A 24 minute 5k moves me into the 1:10 realm of my sprint tri's.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bordentown St. Paddy's Day 5K Run Rss Feed