General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Mountain Man Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m
Overall Rank = 185/635
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/50
Pre-race routine:

Get pre-race fluids and nutrition in me.
Event warmup:

Half mile light running and walking to get warm.
Run
  • 1h 53m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

SET A PR! My goal was to just go out and use this as a training run so I wasn't expecting much. I really didn't taper and I didn't go out too fast - just kept it in Zone 2 for the first 10 miles. Then, I felt so strong, decided to crank it up to Zone 3. Felt great the whole race - pace, nutrition, HR, all really good.

I'm really shocked to set a PR! I really feel all the work for triathlon has really prepared me well. I never ran this fast even when I was just into running years! However, I didn't train this hard when I was just running.

Other than staying in Z2, my other race strategy was to take advantage of my "strengths". So on downhills, I let my weight and long legs cary me down at a quick pace. I was able to pass a LOT of people doing that and stay in Z2. On some of the short climbs, I would really cruise up them and pass a lot more people that slowed down or even walked (there were some pretty steep hills). I knew I was going to spike the HR, but I knew I could recover on the backside or flats.

I can't say enough about how triathlon training has helped with HR, pace and nutrition. By not getting swept up with the crowd, and going out too fast, sticking to my pace and HR, helped me really finish strong. I LOVE triathlon and what it has done for me - or more specifically, what I have done for myself, using triathlon as my motivation, tool, and ispiration.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, if I don't have a triathlon planned, I will taper more for this event and really see what I can do!
Post race
Warm down:

Light run and walk. Ate some fruit and a couple cookies. Lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Great race. Beautiful course. Well run. Will repeat for sure!

Last updated: 2008-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/635
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful six tunnel course overlooking Lake Mead. The first half was on a paved bike path, the second on gravel path that used to be a railroad alignment. A portion was also a maintenance road - hilly, but smooth.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-17 12:52 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon

BOO YA!!!  Set a PR!  Surprised the crap out of me! 

Thanks to you all at BT for advice and support.  This sport has really changed my life and continues to make my life better.....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-17 1:07 AM

2008-03-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1275318

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon
Sorry, accidental post.......

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-17 10:24 AM
2008-03-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1275318

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon
Congrats on the PR! I just read about this race in RW a few months ago and it is on my list of 'To-do's. Sounds like an awesome time. Have a great Tri season.

H.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Six Tunnels Half Marathon Rss Feed