Uff Is Tough
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 18s
Overall Rank = 26/125
Age Group = 20-29M
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race was close to home and it was an afternoon race. Basically got changed and drove up to the local high school. Met my friend Taylor, her son, and her boyfriend at the school.
Event warmup:

Ran a slow 1/2 mile on the track about a half hour before. The weather was FREEZING and the winds were holding steady between 25-30MPH.
Run
  • 22m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The WIND was brutal out there. I would have to say 80% of the race was in some sort of head wind. A steady wind of 25-30MPH with gusts up to 45MPH really made this a tough race. Some minor inclines also made it difficult with the wind. The heart rate jumped around a lot. I was just happy to get this done and over with. My goal pace of 6:45 minute miles was not hit although I think in ideal conditions, they would have been made.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. The wind was the most frustrating thing out there. There was also one water station out there, I should have grabbed some water while passing it. Besides that, the race was a nice 5K to judge my fitness for right now and leading into the triathlon season. I look forward to the duathlon on April 6th.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a lot of walking for warm down. It also took a while for the HR to climb back down. Drank some water and ate a banana. After that I hung out with Taylor for a few minutes and then went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WIND!

Event comments:

Overall, it was a great 5K race. It was a benefit race but the race organizers didn't cheap out on anything. Nice t-shirts and great post race stuff. I look forward to doing this race again the next time it is held.

Last updated: 2008-02-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 26/125
Performance: Average
Average HR: 182 Max HR: 188
Course: It was a neighborhood course starting in front of the high school. It circled thru Aston and back around ending with a lap on the track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0.5%
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes