SetUp Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 6s
Overall Rank = 244/294
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 18/27
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever triathlon so my pre-race was spent pretty much watching all these other great athletes...wow.
Event warmup:

Spent about 20 mins in the pool getting loose..swam about 150 meters at and easy pace.
Swim
  • 14m 7s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a swimmer! I have been to the pool to swim about 5-6 times total, but work hard while I am there and get better each time. I was expecting about a 15:30 swim so I was happy with my time. I felt comfortable in the water and stopped to recover only a couple of times. I made sure to let the faster folks pass....happened a couple of times.
What would you do differently?:

Spend more time in a pool....I will get better..I do know this. I am working on my technique each and every time. I actually enjoy swimming...just not very fast..haha!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 28s
Comments:

I was doing this race with a friend and this was his first also. He started about a minuted ahead of me in the pool but struggled a bit....I cam out about 2 minutes ahead of him and decided to wait on him. Our initial goal was to do the race together but we got seperated during the bike phase. My T-1 time is the slowest of just about everyone but this is due to me waiting on my training partner.

My goal was to survive and enjoy the event so I have no complaints that the transistion times were a record high (most likely) for this event =). I will continue to improve in this area.
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

My friend and I started out together but I knew I would be a little stronger on the bike and was hoping he could keep up. For whatever reason, I felt terrific and hammered away once I saw that he was going to drop back. I have spent some time on a mtn bike and a few times in spin class, but this was only my 4th time ever on a road bike. I need to get more comfortable with the aero bars. As I get in better shape, hopefully I will get faster. I stopped as I got off my bike..there was a young marine volunteering on the course near the T-2 area...I told him thanks for his service and then went to the T-2 area.

Nothing...felt great the whole way...perhaps pushed a bit too hard becasue my legs were jelly at start of run...maybe this normal..who knows.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I did not rush but I tried not be super slow either..my legs were wobbly so I just tried to give them a second to recover.

Be more efficient in this T-2 area.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very winded from the start and simply never got comfortable breathing. On a good day with no other legs (swim and bike) I can run about a 22-23 5K so I was disappointed that I was this slow. I have not spent much time training with a bike/run brick so it was my own fault. I was shooting for 25-27...not far off considering I was very winded the whole run.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Pushed at last 1/4 mile so when I crossed the finish I was toast..I tried to give it my all...feel like I did. I felt terrific knowing I had just finished my first triathlon. I will have plenty of time to get faster....what an awesome event (and sport).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am overweight, plain and simple. I am 6'0" and weigh about 236 lbs at about 33% BF and have struggled to lose weight. I played a couple of sports in college in the early 90's and was fit as a fiddle. Not so much now. I need to get my weight under control..felt good on the course but looking at the pics, I am disappointed with myself. I will work to lose weight and get in better shape.

Event comments:

I had a blast! A little disappointed with the post race food..there was none! I started at the end of the swim since I was in the novice division so I was one of the last to finish...I wasnt super hungry but a a little. That was minor to me as everything else was awesome, simply awesome. Great venue, great event, awesome athletes all over the place. Everyone was very nice. I gave it my all and have already searched out my next event.....thanks to BT for all the info....big, big help.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:07 | 547 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/27
Overall: 259/294
Performance: Good
Suit: Voler
Course: 10 laps in Marine Combat Pool....a little crowded.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:28
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:11 | 13 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/27
Overall: 192/294
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat out and back...very scenic with our nation's finest soldiers training hard. I was very moved when I saw them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/27
Overall: 222/294
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-18 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon

2008-03-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1277586

New user

Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon
You did great! I've found that on the bike, and the run the first 5 minutes is usually the hardest and then your breathing will return to normal for a bike/run. Once you lose the extra lbs running will become much easier as well. I strugggle with that as well coming out of the winter. Great race! Sorry the food was gone the chicken pot pie was pretty good, maybe somebody was looking out for you on the diet.
2008-03-18 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1277586

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon

Good job triathlete!! You'll find that after practicing bricks, you'll be as fast or faster in a Tri 5K as you are in a standalone. The key is to kind of spin out as you come into t2, at at least 90 rpms. Then you match your stride rate to that (90). Your legs will feel like jelly for about a half mile to a mile, then you find them. If you have a good quick turnover though at the beginning, your speed will be there even though you won't feel like you are going that fast.

I love it that you waited on your friend. Triathletes ROCK. Also, normally, there is a lot more food at Set Up events. I think that since the Marines kind of sponsored this race, they may have been in charge of that. We don't normally have the shasta colas either- usually water or pepsi or coke products. Normally there is a hot food available as well as bananas, bagels, cookies, granola bars, etc.

Keep up the hard work and you will be flying through your next tri!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed