General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes getting run off the road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-19 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Utah
Subject: Triathletes getting run off the road
Last Sunday I had to make a dive off the road to miss a truck that would have run me over at 50 mph. I looked back at the truck after he went by and, sure enough, his mirror was right where my head would have been and no one was in the on-coming lane. Talking with one of our secretaries, her daughter was hit by a motorist while riding. He actually rolled down the window and told her to get off the f@&%ing road! Fortunately the driver begind them got the license plate number and she filed a police report. She was only scraped up a little. I've been nearly hit so many times I almost plan on it on the bike. The thing that really makes me mad is that the other lane is always empty. I don't need more than a couple feet of room over there. I'm already riding through gravel and broken glass. My question is this: Is it blind ignorance or do people really want to get their digs in to people recreating on their roads? I've asked people at work their opinions and a lot of them went with purposely running us off the roads. Stories of car encounters? I've been told it's just a matter of time until I get clipped by a mirror. Are their laws for this?

2008-03-19 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1280202

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Triathletes getting run off the road

browntown - 2008-03-19 9:37 AM  I've asked people at work their opinions and a lot of them went with purposely running us off the roads.

Did they say why? I mean, after they recovered from you beating them to a pulp.Cool

Laws against this? Anywhere there are laws against assault and attempted murder.

2008-03-19 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Some people are just a-holes plain and simple.  They are PO'd because they are fat and lazy and people are actually out excerising.  If there were 50 miles of bike lanes all over the city cyclist would not need to ride on the rodes but there aren't.

I will say I have only been riding for 1.5yrs and my attitude has changed dramatically.  Before I rode, I would always give cyclist the right of way and move over but always got annoyed.  Now I realize that I generally have 3 lanes to drive in.  I will now keep in the middle lane as much as possible just in case someone is in the right lane riding.

I will have people comment about cyclist riding on the road and my comment is it is illegal for us to ride on the sidewalk which they never knew.  This is usually co-workers so they aren't rude about it just like to make comments.

I still think most is just plan ignorance and liking to be a-holes.

2008-03-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1280216

User image

I understand if they are upset because they are late and have to slow down to 20 mph for a minute until they can pass. I would be mildly upset too.

That does not give them the right to kill or seriously hurt someone who is an inconvenience while obeying the law. They should be in jail, and be sued in civil court. Getting in touch with their feminine side while doing time and forcing some icehole to buy a new tri-bike for their victim would be a good deterrent for others.

I don't know why anyone would be upset for having to pass someone on an empty road. That is nuts.

2008-03-19 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been cycling for almost 50 years and insane drivers have been a constant during all that time.  There are some motorists out there who have just had a bad day and are out to take it out on whoever seems the less threatening to them ... cowards that they are.  And, of course, there are the really insane motorists who think they own the road and want to run everything over, including cyclists, pedestrians, children, dogs, squirrels and other motorists!  They are the minority though as most motorists are decent law abiding citizens who respect others.  Things have gotten much better for cyclists over the years ... in my area anyways.  By and large, most motorists are respectful of cyclists' right to be on the road.
2008-03-19 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Just this past weekend, I'm riding on a 4 lane rode and one car is coming from behind me. There are no cars coming the other way and no cars near this car going the same way. He may of moved over half a foot. He went by me probably 8-12inches off my elbows.

I mean.. WHY? four effing lanes.

Then there is getting stuff thrown at you. Though it's been a while since that has happened to me.

Edited by smilford 2008-03-19 10:12 AM

2008-03-19 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1280292

User image

Champion
Butler
smilford - 2008-03-19 10:12 AM Just this past weekend, I'm riding on a 4 lane rode and one car is coming from behind me. There are no cars coming the other way and no cars near this car going the same way. He may of moved over half a foot. He went by me probably 8-12inches off my elbows. I mean.. WHY? four effing lanes. Then there is getting stuff thrown at you. Though it's been a while since that has happened to me.
I have luckily never had anything thrown at me but if I do, I am going to look like Lance trying to catch the Fer and get a license plate.  I will prosecute, especially a kid.  I had a friend get egged by a kid while he was in his truck.  I got the license plate of the car and when the cop went to the house the parents were so PO'd they cop decided to let them take care of it. Not me.  I will give specific order to at least ticket.
2008-03-19 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
smilford - 2008-03-19 10:12 AM

Just this past weekend, I'm riding on a 4 lane rode and one car is coming from behind me. There are no cars coming the other way and no cars near this car going the same way. He may of moved over half a foot. He went by me probably 8-12inches off my elbows.

I mean.. WHY? four effing lanes.

Then there is getting stuff thrown at you. Though it's been a while since that has happened to me.

Yea, I don't get it. I'm not sure why people in vehicles feel OK about trying to kill someone. It's like they don't even care that they could hurt or kill you.

I ride in groups on city roads, and typically we don't get bugged too much. We have on occasion, but no one has been hit or killed, yet.

One thing I have learned though, that a lot of cyclists don't do... is I HOLD MY LANE. Meaning: I don't ride in the gutter when cars have other lanes they can move into. I ride near the white line. So, they have no way to share the lane with me, unless they hit me. I have seen too many cyclists riding down a lane, in the gutter and a car shares the lane with them, and the car had other lanes they could have moved into. But the cyclist allowed this to happen by not holding their lane.

I live in Texas though, and I have seriously wondered if it's legal to carry a handgun while on the bike. Hhhuuuummm. But of course, if they kill you, then the handgun is useless.

Yea, we are kind of crazy in Texas.

2008-03-19 10:26 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I believe it's a regional thing - or areas where cycling is more in people's conscience.  In Denver (there are STILL some oblivious drivers) I felt that most motorists really looked out for cyclists.  Many times waiting an extra 5/10 seconds to let me get trhough an interesection, or move to a different lane to pass me on the shoulder.  But cycling and outdoor activities are more popular there.

It's similar here in Vegas - for every time a jerk bugs me on a ride, there is a dozen times I'm actually please with a drivers courtiousness reguarding me/cyclists.  When I ride farther east where the cities are not as bike friendly, it seems people's attitudes are not as friendly either.  They view cyclists as a nuesence some times.  IMO

2008-03-19 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Oh I forgot about honking. A nice lil toot to let me know you're coming is fine.

When someone lays on the Horn just to pass me by, that scares the crap out of me. I always think OH CRAP something bad is about to happen. Then (usually) a truck goes just goes by. This has caused me to almost crash more times than anything.
2008-03-19 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1280330

User image

Sensei
Sin City

KSH - 2008-03-19 8:24 AM  I HOLD MY LANE. Meaning: I don't ride in the gutter when cars have other lanes they can move into. I ride near the white line. So, they have no way to share the lane with me, unless they hit me.

Great point.  I live in the suburbs here and we have lots of 4 lane roads (two in each direction) and they have very little traffic.  I have NO problem riding down the center of the lane, no matter how slow I'm going when there is so little traffic.  They can easily pass me in the open lane on the left.

If traffic is really congested, it's a little tougher.  I do ride on the edge and share a lane.  It gets a little spooky, and I have to hope the motorists see me.

I do have an edge - I'm 6'8" wearing loud colors on a 61 cm bike with extra long seat post to sit me up high.  I'm a BIG object (target?), hard to miss me.  But after years of motorcyle riding, I know they still miss me....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-19 10:33 AM

2008-03-19 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, TX
I'm thinking about carrying a couple rocks in my back pockets and seeing how many back windows I can crack. I almost got tagged by an H2 trying to make a yellow light. Has anybody actually had a confrontation with the car that almost hit them?

My brother was almost hit by a teenager in a old beat up blue truck. Was right up on his back tire until he flew by him cussing and honking his horn. My brother caught up to him at a light and kicked in his back side panel then made a right at the light and took off!
2008-03-19 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

KSH - 2008-03-19 10:24 AM
I live in Texas though, and I have seriously wondered if it's legal to carry a handgun while on the bike. Hhhuuuummm. But of course, if they kill you, then the handgun is useless. Yea, we are kind of crazy in Texas.

I would think it's legal if you have a concealed handgun license. I've thought about getting a license just for when I am on my bike. there's a 3 mile stretch of 2 lane road - no shoulder - I have to ride on to get to the bike routes. I get buzzed everytime i'm on that stretch. and, 90% of the time its a guy in a pickup truck.

2008-03-19 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1280359

User image

Sensei
Sin City

TexTriGuy - 2008-03-19 8:33 AM I'm thinking about carrying a couple rocks in my back pockets and seeing how many back windows I can crack. I almost got tagged by an H2 trying to make a yellow light. Has anybody actually had a confrontation with the car that almost hit them? My brother was almost hit by a teenager in a old beat up blue truck. Was right up on his back tire until he flew by him cussing and honking his horn. My brother caught up to him at a light and kicked in his back side panel then made a right at the light and took off!

I thought about this during my runs.  We have a lot of desert landscaping here (in the desert, go figure) so there are rocks that are golf ball size everywhere you look (perfect for chuck'n).  When kids zoom by me really close while running and honk there horns and almost giving me a heart attack, I fantasize about sending one through their back window.....  I'm a little more prepared for a confrontation while running - better shoes.  I would hate to get into an altercation with bike shoes on - but you got a helmet!

2008-03-19 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ha, try living in the "Motor City" where not only owning a car is a right, owning the roads are, too.

I've tried to explain to the folks who don't understand why I'm not on the sidewalk -- "uh, duh, I'm not gonna ride 15-18 mph on a sidewalk" not to mention how dangerous it is, every street you come to you have to look out (who ever really stops at a stop sign back of the cross walk?)

That when I'm in the road, I'm a part of traffic......

I think some of it is fear on the part of the motorist -- at least that's been expressed to me by co workers, that they might hit me...
2008-03-19 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
As much as I would love to throw a rock at someone for buzzing me.  I think I will stick with get a plate #.  For one, I am a wuss even at my size and two and the fact that people can carry a gun in Texas would make me think twice.

2008-03-19 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1280358

User image

Champion
Butler
Aikidoman - 2008-03-19 10:33 AM

with extra long seat post to sit me up high.  I'm a BIG object (target?), hard to miss me.  But after years of motorcyle riding, I know they still miss me....

I'm right there with you but slightly shorter.  Maybe we either stand out or people are slightly scared.  Lucky for most people I am pretty much a wuss.
2008-03-19 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Utah
I had a good laugh at KSH's post. People would never be so rude standing in line at the grocery store (well, maybe not never). I think there's something cowardly about being anonymous. BTW, state laws govern carrying firearms, so they vary. Most states allow it, even in public if it's "in plane sight". Which means not in a pocket. Concealed permits are not as hard to get as you may think, but a little mace would be much better for runners' safety. However, putting few holes in a jerk's trunk would be really satifying (maybe even a better reason I shouldn't carry) Also, for the people who think we should cycle on a sidewalk: Why do you think they call it a sideWALK?! At the same time as all of this we need to show respect for laws concerning vehicles like stopping a lights and such. Also, riding three side-by-side down a major street in the middle of the commute is uncool. We get a bad rap sometimes too from a few inconsiderate cyclists.
2008-03-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1280358

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Aikidoman - 2008-03-19 10:33 AM

I do ride on the edge and share a lane.  It gets a little spooky, and I have to hope the motorists see me.

I do have an edge - I'm 6'8" wearing loud colors on a 61 cm bike with extra long seat post to sit me up high.  I'm a BIG object (target?), hard to miss me.  But after years of motorcyle riding, I know they still miss me....

Wow dude, you are really trusting your life in the hands of soccer Mom's in SUV's chatting on the phone.

No matter how big you are, a side mirror can hit you and send you down.

2008-03-19 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh

As for being seen: http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

I'm usually better off pushing into the lane a little more. People see you better and feel the need to move to pass you instead of just keep doing what there doing. I don't mind when people pass in the same lane if its wide.

I prefer to ride in more traffic (to a point), witnesses help people behave. Out in the country a gun in a visible holster might be nice. No witnesses for them also means no witnesses for us. That sounds more violent than I mean it, holes in the trunk or tires is what I'm thinking. But then you would have to never ride there again or they might track you down.

2008-03-19 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

One thing I have learned though, that a lot of cyclists don't do... is I HOLD MY LANE

This is a good idea... I have to catch myself trying to ride in gutters or on the right side of the lane line, just so that I can be seen as being courteous. I think I put myself at a lot more risk by doing this, giving the driver the idea that they should squeeze by me in the same lane.

I live in Dallas (Lewisville) and ride on suburban streets. These are not bike friendly, so I have to learn to live with big SUVs driving by inches from my elbow. It's always scary but I don't have a safer local option for rides.

Edited by Jazon71 2008-03-19 11:39 AM

2008-03-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1280562

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Jazon71 - 2008-03-19 11:39 AM

One thing I have learned though, that a lot of cyclists don't do... is I HOLD MY LANE

This is a good idea... I have to catch myself trying to ride in gutters or on the right side of the lane line, just so that I can be seen as being courteous. I think I put myself at a lot more risk by doing this, giving the driver the idea that they should squeeze by me in the same lane.

I live in Dallas (Lewisville) and ride on suburban streets. These are not bike friendly, so I have to learn to live with big SUVs driving by inches from my elbow. It's always scary but I don't have a safer local option for rides.

Hey, I live in Dallas... Carrollton to be exact. There are a lot of great group rides that you can go on. So then you get to ride on city streets and not feel like you are going to be killed.

Check out the Greater Dallas Bicyclists. If you have any questions about any of their group rides, I can let you know what the speed is, etc.

Otherwise, if a car has other lanes to drive in... who cares about being rude. It's your life. They can use another lane to go around you. You are seen when you hold your lane. When you ride in the gutter, it's easy to miss seeing you.
2008-03-19 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I live in Atlanta now and ride in traffic all the time.  I think, as others have pointed out, that as cyclist we think we are NOT entitled to the road.  Remember that you have as much right to the lane as the car does LEGALLY.  I know in Virginia, you had 2 ft to the left of the white line and cars had to pass you by at least 2 ft.  If you are riding in the gutter and the car doesn't have to do anything to get around you, you're putting yourself in a dangerous place.  Especially if gravel, glass, rain gutter comes up in front of you.

Be agressive, but not overly aggressive.  I even saw one guy that had a 2' antenna that he attached to the back of his bike that would scratch any car that came within 2'.  Remember that most drivers are lazy when driving and prefer to just stay in their lane.  If they think they can get by you without having to change lanes, they do.  Force them to at least have to think about having to move over.  And it's hard to do, but try and remember the 10 drivers that did swing out to the far lane instead of the one that tried to buzz you.

2008-03-19 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1280562

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Jazon71 - 2008-03-19 9:39 AM

Yeah, I would never actually ride in the gutter.  I still stick to the ashpalt all the time.  Then, I have the gutter as a small "bail out" area.  If your ride in the gutter, all you have left is curb and a crash.

The great thing about out west, is that cities are NEWER.  They have extra wide lanes, especially in the newer suburbs.  Ever try to ride in the inner city?  In many of the older cities and older areas, the streets are SO narrow, that two cars can't even pass each other.  Once has to duck into a parking spot and let someone pass.  THAT is spooky riding.

2008-03-19 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

This lady's markings pretty much sums up it up, doesn't it?  Perhaps we should have jerseys made?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes getting run off the road Rss Feed  

of 2