General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes getting run off the road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-19 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1280202

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Triathletes getting run off the road

In regards to confrontations, there are at least 2 SUV's that have dings in their doors because of me. 

The first was on LBI (Long Beach Island) I was riding and an SUV decided that they wanted to turn left and get all the way into my lane and make a right.  I was even with her front door panel when she decided to start coming right into me.  I slammed my fist into her door panel and freaked her out.  How she never saw me, I have NO idea.

The second was a lady that came up from behind me, passed me, and then decided to make a right turn into her house.  We're talking just as she came by me.  So she got her rear quarter panel dinged in. 

Both times, I stopped and discussed with them what happenned.  And in lieu of calling the cops and THEM getting a ticket, they chose to say Sorry and continue on.

It's the law of averages out there.  Just be smart and remember that you are legally a vehicle and have the same rights as other vehicles.  But that means you have to follow the same laws too.  Can't have it both ways.

2008-03-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1280403

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

kproudfoot - 2008-03-19 11:48 AM For one, I am a wuss even at my size and two and the fact that people can carry a gun in Texas would make me think twice.

Which is why you should carry when cycling. God bless FL concealed carry laws.

2008-03-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1280330

User image

Master
Sachse
KSH - 2008-03-19 10:24 AM

I live in Texas though, and I have seriously wondered if it's legal to carry a handgun while on the bike. Hhhuuuummm. But of course, if they kill you, then the handgun is useless.

Yea, we are kind of crazy in Texas.

It is for some of us. Did you not see the new carbon fiber Glock holder on the Griffen, last weekend? lol

Kenny
2008-03-19 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Not just cyclists, sadly...I've had my share of near-misses on the run as well and one a-hole actually pulled into a crosswalk on red as I was running through (with the green light...and the "walk" indicator) and knocked me onto his hood and kept pulling forward, all the while looking only left for the traffic to clear. I had to bang on the hood like half a dozen times before he noticed me...he was literally going to pull out with me on the hood.

What does that have to do with the thread? After the guy finally braked and I rolled off the front of the car (into traffic) and then got him to pull over and asked for his insurance info, he started screaming obscenities at me and then pulled away. He had his son...probably 8 or 9 yrs old...in the car with him. Nice example for the kid, eh? I got his plate number, called the cops...and one of the cops challenged me as to why I didn't avoid the car (as I ran through the crosswalk, legally, and the guy pulled through on red barely slowing down)...which of course is sort of beside the point since this was ultimately, technically, a hit-and-run. That cop got an earful from me...it was an ugly situation...thankfully his partner stepped in with a more rational attitude and cooled things down. Bleah. The attitude is, no matter what the law says, cyclists and runners are expected to defer to cars, even when that puts us at risk. Sucks.
2008-03-19 12:23 PM

Expert
This is frightening.

A riding bud of mine was deliberately run off the road in Virginia. He was carried off in an ambulance. His wife saw the whole thing, and the lady who was driving was sentenced to time in jail, which was suspended.
2008-03-19 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
All of this is why I rarely ride on the road. My area (suburban Philadelphia) has some decent bike trails through the Rails to Trails program. Even though I do have a copy of Pennsylvania's bike laws (which is free through the state website) and follow them, I prefer to not get hit by a car.

2008-03-19 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
I know I've posted this before, but last season, I was finishing up a ride and just a few blocks from home I was at a 4-way, and had moved into the center of my lane to make a left.  I signalled left-turn and was about to turn, when a large lux sedan pulled into the oncoming lane, accelerated and passed me with no regard for me or my left turn.  Additionally, the jerk-off was cursing me the entire time.  The idiot could've killed me if he pulled this stupid stunt just 2-3 seconds later.
2008-03-19 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1280330

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was riding along once, and a group of kids in a truck drove by and they threw a crumpled fast food bag at me. Hit me square in the face. Luckily it just bounced off my head and didn't cause me to lose control.

Another time I had a guy yell and curse at me for being on the road and when we came up to a stop light and rolled right next to him and asked him to say that again. He just stayed in his car and flipped the bird. I stopped right by his truck for a bit just to tick him off and then took my time getting into my pedals when the light turned green.

2008-03-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1280742

User image

Sensei
Sin City
suffer78 - 2008-03-19 10:35 AM

I was riding along once, and a group of kids in a truck drove by and they threw a crumpled fast food bag at me. Hit me square in the face. Luckily it just bounced off my head and didn't cause me to lose control.

Another time I had a guy yell and curse at me for being on the road and when we came up to a stop light and rolled right next to him and asked him to say that again. He just stayed in his car and flipped the bird. I stopped right by his truck for a bit just to tick him off and then took my time getting into my pedals when the light turned green.

I completely understand this and find no fault - however, with a-holes like that, that kind of action just gets them to dislike cyclists even more, and the next rider can pay the price.  As much as I want to confront them or pay them back, it's probably best to avoid antagonizing jerks.  They just become bigger jerks.  As much as I would love to dent their car or smash a window under those conditions - I have to show restraint.

My action of choice is to make a somewhat theatrical reaction of disgust and/or amazement of there ignorance.  I do that in hopes the OTHER witnessing motorists see how big a jerk the wreckless driver was and how they could have hurt/killed me.  Maybe they will become more aware of cyclist if they notice how other drivers are not.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-03-19 12:51 PM
2008-03-19 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
The only solution to this is $20/gallon gasoline.
2008-03-19 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Stop being a dang easy target, the major problem is that people think the road is theirs once they get in the car, but we don't help by squeezing over to the curb so some dimwit can hurry to the next traffic light.

THe most placid CandyA$$ becomes Billy BadA$$ in his pretty little sedan, but I have found it works better if I ensure I have plenty of room myself. Don't passively ask to have a small slice of the road that is yours to ride on, but take the damn thing. On certain sections of road it does require being more passive so as not to overly slow traffic, after all we are those folks on the roads other times, but to cower in the corner like a little child is not ok either.

People will always take advantage over those they have power over, perceived or real. But if you give them less power, they are able to take less advantage over you. Also when someone is acting aggressivly, and this helps to have antifreeze in your veins and a cold heart, look them in the eye and make sure they see that. Then it is personal and they will 99% of the time backdown. When you are just a lycra clad hippie in their way they can act like a jerk and feel no remorse for it, but once you make eye contact you are that lycra clad ball of pissed off muscle that they will gladly slide over for.

Also the cycling shoes are dang deadly, imagine being kicked in the shin with the clips, I would rather a bee sting me in the nose than a good shin skin removal.

2008-03-19 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
as a cyclist, if one would toss a rock at a car they are the exact same thing as an aggressive driver. They are just as big of an a-hole. Actually, legally they are far more in the wrong that a driver that passes closely. There is not really a law saying how much space a car has to give when passing. There are laws against throwing objects at cars.

We all hate the aggressive 'I am untouchable and super powerful in my car' but yet on here and any cycling forum we read post after post about hitting cars, tossing objects, kicking doors, punching, shooting, kicking people's faces in, etc. Sort of the pot calling the kettle black.

Cycling is a risk. No laws, no punishments, no bike lanes, no anything will every change that. It is a risk that you implicitly accept when you ride on the road. As someone else said, it is a risk you accept if you run on the road. Even subcompact cars today are very large and heavy. A person has no chance against that. Accidents DO happen every single day. Even good drivers get into accidents from time to time. A slight wreck between two cars will make people late for work and will cost insurance companies a few grand. It will kill a runner or rider.

Tell your loved ones you love them every day. Get over trivial issues every day. Put your financial house in order. Have a will. Have a living will.
Then just trust in fate, God, randomness, karma, or whatever. Enjoy the ride.
2008-03-19 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1281693

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

indygreg - 2008-03-19 6:25 PM as a cyclist, if one would toss a rock at a car they are the exact same thing as an aggressive driver. They are just as big of an a-hole. Actually, legally they are far more in the wrong that a driver that passes closely. There is not really a law saying how much space a car has to give when passing. There are laws against throwing objects at cars.

Gotto disagree here.The laws in most states give cyclists the same rights and duties as those driving motor vehicles, and there are laws pertaining to proper lane usage among motor vehicles.

2008-03-19 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
and I might be wrong there . . . not really sure to be honest. Let me put it this way:
If person A passes me on my bike and his mirror comes 2" from my bars I have 0.000000% of him being arrested or prosecuted for that. This is the case if the care behind can attest it was that close.

If I kick the side of Person A's SUV and the person behind us can attest to it, I am going to get arrested and charged.
2008-03-19 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1281732

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
 Perhaps if a empathetic  law officer saw the "passing too close" he could/would ticket the driver for illegal lane usage. Otherwise it would be a non-event, no harm, no foul. But that doesn't mean it is legal.

Edited by the bear 2008-03-19 7:04 PM
2008-03-19 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
I do think someone above had it right . . . $20/gallon gas would change this quick. $10 would make a big difference. A) more people would be riding. B) more people would be on motorcycles and scooters and that would help C) people would get smaller and smaller cars and that would help as they take up less space and people would feel much less invincible and might pay more attention.

2008-03-19 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Utah
There's unfortunately a childish and dark side to humankind. I have my doubts about that ever changing. Just because there's no law against 'almost' killing someone doesn't make it right. Nothing's going to change how ridiculous and dangerous drivers are. The stakes are higher when you don't have 2000 lbs of metal and an air bag between you and an idiot. It is frustrating, but some of it ( "Why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?" ) is funny. I appreciated the advice from many of you veteran cyclists. I've heard some great advice and that's what I wanted when I started this thread.
2008-03-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1281732

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

indygreg - 2008-03-19 7:55 PM and I might be wrong there . . . not really sure to be honest. Let me put it this way: If person A passes me on my bike and his mirror comes 2" from my bars I have 0.000000% of him being arrested or prosecuted for that.

In FL vehicles must give cyclists 3 feet when passing.  Of course most don't know of the law. 

2008-03-19 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I ride on city streets mostly, and most of the near-misses I have are with pedestrians, rather than cars. At least the odds are somewhat more in my favor. My personal favorite is the mom who stands so that her feet are on the edge of the sidewalk but the giant $700 European stroller she's pushing is sticking out into the street. Nice parenting, there, lady.
In general, NYC drivers are incredibly aggressive, but I haven't encountered any outright hostility.
2008-03-20 12:13 AM
in reply to: #1280598

User image

Elite
Marvarnett - 2008-03-19 12:52 PM

In regards to confrontations, there are at least 2 SUV's that have dings in their doors because of me.

The first was on LBI (Long Beach Island) I was riding and an SUV decided that they wanted to turn left and get all the way into my lane and make a right. I was even with her front door panel when she decided to start coming right into me. I slammed my fist into her door panel and freaked her out. How she never saw me, I have NO idea.

The second was a lady that came up from behind me, passed me, and then decided to make a right turn into her house. We're talking just as she came by me. So she got her rear quarter panel dinged in.

Both times, I stopped and discussed with them what happenned. And in lieu of calling the cops and THEM getting a ticket

Actually you would get a ticket. They could press charges and sue you for purposely damaging their property. I agree with what you have done, I kicked a car one time, in a parking lot that blew past a stop sign as I was halfway through the intersection.
2008-03-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1282192

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
aarondavidson - 2008-03-20 1:13 AM
Marvarnett - 2008-03-19 12:52 PM

The first was on LBI (Long Beach Island) I was riding and an SUV decided that they wanted to turn left and get all the way into my lane and make a right. I was even with her front door panel when she decided to start coming right into me. I slammed my fist into her door panel and freaked her out. How she never saw me, I have NO idea.

The second was a lady that came up from behind me, passed me, and then decided to make a right turn into her house. We're talking just as she came by me. So she got her rear quarter panel dinged in.

Both times, I stopped and discussed with them what happenned. And in lieu of calling the cops and THEM getting a ticket

Actually you would get a ticket. They could press charges and sue you for purposely damaging their property. I agree with what you have done, I kicked a car one time, in a parking lot that blew past a stop sign as I was halfway through the intersection.

I'm going to have to disagree with you Aaron.  This was no different than if someone came into my lane and hit my car.  They would get a ticket.  I hit their car because they were about to run me over.  It was either my fist or my head.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes getting run off the road Rss Feed  

of 2