General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keller, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
55F / 13C
Total Time = 1h 11m 14s
Overall Rank = 95/462
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5ish, showered to help wake me up, and had some peanut butter toast and a bit of water! Followed the Murphys and Buehler to the race site. I froze outside setting up my transition. It was cold outside because of the wind. Got my body marking done (no line) and then got my chip with Robin, Fitz and Buehler. It was fun to have a bunch of us together. Loved the napkin copies that Bothwell was handing out too! Go Both!!!!
Event warmup:

Warmed up in the pool - swam 100 meters. Next time I would like to warm up more.
Swim
  • 06m 12s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am semi happy with my swim. It was over a 30 second improvement from the monster tri in October but I do not think I pushed myself enough. I was playing it safe and not letting myself get out of breath. It was funny though because someone passed me within the 1st length of the pool. I thought to myself - I better pick up the pace. Then it turns out when I passed someone a lap or two later, it was the same guy. He was swimming without putting his head in the water. Just really caught me off guard.
What would you do differently?:

Put more energy in the swim and not be afraid to push it!
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I thought this was a decent time considering I put a long sleeve shirt on and some socks because I was afraid my feet would freeze. Put my helmet and sunglasses on, grabbed my bike and was off!!!

Maybe not wear socks...my feet were fine!
Bike
  • 40m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my bike performance considering I had initila difficulties with getting on the bike. After I crossed the mount/dismount line, somebody was yelling about my chain. It turnouts my chain was off and 2 volunteers came running and helped me out. Thank you!!!! I was a little frustrated but also so thankful that it happened there and they fixed it rather quickly. Probably lost 45 seconds and that is it. So I got on and started my ride. I had a GU after I got situated and got my speed at a decent pace. Again, I am not sure I went "all out" at race pace. I found myself getting lost in my thoughts and forgetting that I was trying to fast. The last of the 2 hills on the back part of the loop were a bit challenging for me as I felt my heart rate rise. This was the first time in a race though, that I passed more people than passed me.

I need to know my race pace and use it in the sprints. Keep concentrating and not taking little vacations with my thoughts.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I lost control of my bike several times while running with it and then I put it in the wrong place and needed to scout it over before leaving transition. I slipped my shoes on, took my helmet off and grabbed my visor!

Put my bike in the right place the first time.
Run
  • 21m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

When I started the run I could not get my garmin to switch from bike to run in the multisport because my fingers were a bit frozen. I finally got it after 2 tenths of a mile then was able to concentrate on my run. I have never liked the windy course as I am better at having a straight run where I know exactly where I am going. But I just went for it and put all energy into the run. It was great seeing Frisco Bob, the TodRob, then TeeCris about 3/4 a mile into it. But then I realized that no one else was in front of me and I did not know where the rest of the group was. It is funny how that 3 miles felt so long as several times I was going to give up on meeting my goal of a sub 7 5k. My Garmin was .2 behind the actual distance which I totally forgot about so when I heard the announcers voice, I was thrilled that I was almost done.

Figure out my Garmin and practice transitioning with it. I get this messed up with every run.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Todd and Todd, Buehler, Docshock, and Blane. Watched and cheered on Bothwell and Robin as they started the run (there were so many people that the start times in the pool were about an hour later). Ate some pancakes and then talked to Fitz about his spill and flat. That stinks!

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:12 | 328 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/25
Overall: 0/462
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:53 | 12 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/25
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop square
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:26 | 03.11 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/25
Performance: Good
Course: Very windy through trails.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-19 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint

2008-03-20 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1282097

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint
Looks like you had a solid race. Congrats!
2008-03-20 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I dont see how the wind could bother you on the run, since you were moving faster than it..

nice race,,

2008-03-20 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint Rss Feed