Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-03-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1284843

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: Ok, people, tell me about Boston
Chippy - 2008-03-21 9:14 AM

Just keep reminding yourself: wherever you end up next year will be SO MUCH BETTER than where you are THIS year ...

GatorGirl22 - 2008-03-21 8:44 AM Cool. Thanks everyone. I am going to keep this thread bookmarked when it does come time to making our decision. I'm guessing Barry is going to have to decide probably by June of this year, where he is going to do research. He also has an interview at UF in May, and I'm hoping he considers more places in Fla., but it's good to know Boston has a lot going on. It HAS to be better than where we are currently living. I don't "do" rural well. I'm a city gal!

You are right!

I would actually like him to look into things at the NIH. I think it would be cool to be in DC. I really, really love visiting there. So many choices!

2008-03-21 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1285003

GatorGirl22 - 2008-03-21 10:19 AM

Just keep reminding yourself: wherever you end up next year will be SO MUCH BETTER than where you are THIS year ...

GatorGirl22 - 2008-03-21 8:44 AM Cool. Thanks everyone. I am going to keep this thread bookmarked when it does come time to making our decision. I'm guessing Barry is going to have to decide probably by June of this year, where he is going to do research. He also has an interview at UF in May, and I'm hoping he considers more places in Fla., but it's good to know Boston has a lot going on. It HAS to be better than where we are currently living. I don't "do" rural well. I'm a city gal!

You are right!

I would actually like him to look into things at the NIH. I think it would be cool to be in DC. I really, really love visiting there. So many choices!

Commuting here BLOWS. Esp. where the NIH is located - 495 sucks...Maryland has decided that it is its own personal NASCAR track. But MD drivers also CAN'T drive...so you can imagine all the fun that ensues. And the Metro is expensive - there are no discount passes for commuters, and the trains seem to be constantly breaking down. I commuted into DC from NoVA for about 2 months, and I think I was late like 4 times because of train issues - that is unacceptable for the $130 a month I paid to commute.

That being said, you can get a decent amount for your money if you live in the 'burbs of NoVA, or some places in MD. The closer you live to the metro, the more expensive places are, though. DC itself is a bit more dangerous than Boston - but there are lots of good ethnic restaurants, and lots of stuff to do. The temperament of people here, though, can get on my nerves. It's a very transitory area; people only stay long enough to pad their resumé, or until the political climate shifts. And a lot of people (not all, but many) have the mentality of "if you can't DO anything for my career, I'm not interested in talking to you" - and if you're not into politics or international relations, it can get kinda old fast. The climate is pretty great, though, for triathlons and training, and there are lots of races in and around the area.

Don't get me wrong - I like DC. But, I still vote for Boston

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-03-21 9:32 AM
2008-03-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1283051

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
GatorGirl22 - 2008-03-20 1:14 PM

I could give a rat's a$$ about baseball....yankees, sox....whateva!

What about rental properties? Are there apartments in the city? Are they insanely expensive?

Gator, everything about Boston is phenomenal.  Except one thing.  Housing is very expensive.  There are plenty of rentals to be had though.  My buddy owns a real estate company if you need help finding a place let me know.  I highly recommend you come out here for two years.  You'll love it.  The city itself is great, you're under two hours to the mountains, 1 hour to the cape, and 8 minutes to Fenway Park.

2008-03-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1285072

Master
Boston
rcberto - 2008-03-21 10:46 AM
GatorGirl22 - 2008-03-20 1:14 PM

I could give a rat's a$$ about baseball....yankees, sox....whateva!

What about rental properties? Are there apartments in the city? Are they insanely expensive?

Gator, everything about Boston is phenomenal.  Except one thing.  Housing is very expensive.  There are plenty of rentals to be had though.  My buddy owns a real estate company if you need help finding a place let me know.  I highly recommend you come out here for two years.  You'll love it.  The city itself is great, you're under two hours to the mountains, 1 hour to the cape, and 8 minutes to Fenway Park.

Thanks rcberto. I'll keep that in mind if/when we look for apartments. That's what's great about BT- good networking.

2008-03-21 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1283437

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-21 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1285033

2008-03-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1285033

Master
Colorado

First things first: Spokes, you're from Iowa? That explains a lot! (I kid)

Second things: Hm. Interesting discussion re DC. I've actually been here 9 years now, and while I used to find it transitory, I've now noticed that a lot of my friends have been here 4+ years. DC feels very much like a hometown to me, and while a lot of people come in and out for 2 year job stints, I've found that it actually just makes it that much easier to meet people. My friends that I grew up with in Minnesota still only hang out with each other; in DC, most people are from somewhere else, so meeting new people is easy to do and part of the culture. I like that about here. I can always bring a new person to book club, happy hour, spin class, and they get absorbed in the group... people coming in, people coming out.. I like the idea that everyone is kind of welcome, because of the transitory nature of a lot of the jobs. 

re saftey: I've heard you mention this a few times, and it always surprises me. I don't really find DC to be that much less safe than any other city. In fact, I rarely classify it as 'unsafe' at all. Obviously, basic common sense when in urban areas applies, but no more so than other cities. 

And yeah, commuting sucks, but then...so does Boston

wurkit_gurl - 2008-03-21 10:31 AM

You are right!

Commuting here BLOWS. Esp. where the NIH is located - 495 sucks...Maryland has decided that it is its own personal NASCAR track. But MD drivers also CAN'T drive...so you can imagine all the fun that ensues. And the Metro is expensive - there are no discount passes for commuters, and the trains seem to be constantly breaking down. I commuted into DC from NoVA for about 2 months, and I think I was late like 4 times because of train issues - that is unacceptable for the $130 a month I paid to commute.

That being said, you can get a decent amount for your money if you live in the 'burbs of NoVA, or some places in MD. The closer you live to the metro, the more expensive places are, though. DC itself is a bit more dangerous than Boston - but there are lots of good ethnic restaurants, and lots of stuff to do. The temperament of people here, though, can get on my nerves. It's a very transitory area; people only stay long enough to pad their resumé, or until the political climate shifts. And a lot of people (not all, but many) have the mentality of "if you can't DO anything for my career, I'm not interested in talking to you" - and if you're not into politics or international relations, it can get kinda old fast. The climate is pretty great, though, for triathlons and training, and there are lots of races in and around the area.

2008-03-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1285316

Chippy - 2008-03-21 12:04 PM

First things first: Spokes, you're from Iowa? That explains a lot! (I kid)

Second things: Hm. Interesting discussion re DC. I've actually been here 9 years now, and while I used to find it transitory, I've now noticed that a lot of my friends have been here 4+ years. DC feels very much like a hometown to me, and while a lot of people come in and out for 2 year job stints, I've found that it actually just makes it that much easier to meet people. My friends that I grew up with in Minnesota still only hang out with each other; in DC, most people are from somewhere else, so meeting new people is easy to do and part of the culture. I like that about here. I can always bring a new person to book club, happy hour, spin class, and they get absorbed in the group... people coming in, people coming out.. I like the idea that everyone is kind of welcome, because of the transitory nature of a lot of the jobs. 

re saftey: I've heard you mention this a few times, and it always surprises me. I don't really find DC to be that much less safe than any other city. In fact, I rarely classify it as 'unsafe' at all. Obviously, basic common sense when in urban areas applies, but no more so than other cities. 

And yeah, commuting sucks, but then...so does Boston

wurkit_gurl - 2008-03-21 10:31 AM

You are right!

My point about commuting was that public transit in Boston is more convenient and cheaper than it is in DC.

And all I was saying was that as a single woman in Boston, I felt safer there than being a single woman here in DC. Yes, all cities are inherently unsafe in some ways, but, for example, I wouldn't even walk around Dupont circle much by myself after dark, whereas I would feel comfortable by myself walking along Boylston alone (both are well-lit, well-trafficked areas with lots of stuff to do). Not saying there aren't sketchy parts of Boston - there are. But having lived in Boston for 5 years and having lived here for 4, and comparing how many instances of crime, etc there are in both cities and where they are located, Boston wins in overall safety. And it's not as if they don't publicize crime in Boston - they do.

Now, the 'burbs of DC (Arlington, Bethesda) are another story. And again, I've lived here for 4 years as a single woman. And I don't feel unsafe walking around Clarendon/Ballston/Courthouse, etc. Obviously, there is an awareness one must have in an urban area.

2008-03-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1282864

Master
Colorado

And all I was saying was that as a single woman in Boston, I felt safer there than being a single woman here in DC. Yes, all cities are inherently unsafe in some ways, but, for example, I wouldn't even walk around Dupont circle much by myself after dark

Understood, and certainly perception of safety is as important as actual safety, but living a few blocks from Dupont, I can tell you that I actually feel comfortable walking around and in my neighborhood, so it just always takes me by surprise when you mention it. That's all.

Good point re cost of commuting. DC commuting just totally sucks, doesn't it? Grrr.

2008-03-21 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1285338

Edited by spokes 2008-03-21 11:18 AM
2008-03-21 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1285345

2008-03-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1285358

Master
Colorado
spokes - 2008-03-21 12:21 PM
Chippy - 2008-03-21 9:16 AM

And all I was saying was that as a single woman in Boston, I felt safer there than being a single woman here in DC. Yes, all cities are inherently unsafe in some ways, but, for example, I wouldn't even walk around Dupont circle much by myself after dark

Understood, and certainly perception of safety is as important as actual safety, but living a few blocks from Dupont, I can tell you that I actually feel comfortable walking around and in my neighborhood, so it just always takes me by surprise when you mention it. That's all.

Good point re cost of commuting. DC commuting just totally sucks, doesn't it? Grrr.

Interesting that you feel that way E. I'm totally paranoid all the time I'm in District of Chaos. But, I'm generally not comfortable in central cities as a rule... I didn't grow up in one and I didn't spend my 20s doing the 'single adult in the city' bit so I've never felt really comfortable where I can't see lots of open dirt.

Well, I mean... sh-t happens anywhere, right? I think I feel safe in my neighborhood because I know my neighbors, I know the city very well, and I make good decisions. I won't run in the dark in Rock Creek Park, but I have no problem walking home from yoga (in dupont) to my house (in Adams Morgan) at 8:30pm in the winter. I don't walk home drunk by myself. I park my car in a garage with 24 hr attendents, and I tip them with coffee cards. They know me, they know my car, and they inquire if I've been gone for a few days, etc. If I walk home from my brother's at night (he lives a few blocks away) I text when I get in, and he knows to expect it.

You gotta live where you live. My lifestyle wouldn't work if I felt uncomfortable in the city after dark, so I've taken steps to make sure I don't. My neighborhood is not considered the 'safest' neighborhood, but I feel just as comfortable there as I do in Minneapolis. More so, actually. 

Anyway, enough of my soapbox. I was just surprised at the reaction, as it doesn't mimic my impression of DC.

Actually, having thought it through a bit more, I'll amend my post to say: it totally boils down to familiarity. There are many parts of NoVA I don't like walking around in, because they are unfamiliar to me. I don't feel that way about the city.

ANYWAY, sorry about that rambling...

Edited by Chippy 2008-03-21 11:37 AM
2008-03-21 11:33 AM

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I've had the distinct "pleasure" of driving through DC a few times recently during rush hour (I drove back and forth to Boston while we were moving to Richmond) and I can say with certainty that I would chose the Boston commute over the DC commute any and every day of the week, and twice on Monday morning. DC traffic is just as congested, but people are FAR more aggressive in DC. It has nothing to do with familiarity with the area. It's just true, DC drivers are aggressive, and that's why they had to create a law to specifically combat it.
2008-03-21 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1285376

D.Z. - 2008-03-21 12:33 PM I've had the distinct "pleasure" of driving through DC a few times recently during rush hour (I drove back and forth to Boston while we were moving to Richmond) and I can say with certainty that I would chose the Boston commute over the DC commute any and every day of the week, and twice on Monday morning. DC traffic is just as congested, but people are FAR more aggressive in DC. It has nothing to do with familiarity with the area. It's just true, DC drivers are aggressive, and that's why they had to create a law to specifically combat it.

Drivers in Boston are aggressive. But drivers in DC are IDIOTS. That's what makes it worse. I've driven a car in Boston before. And I had NEVER honked at anyone in my entire life until I moved to the DC area.

2008-03-21 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1285375

2008-03-21 12:15 PM

Buttercup

Lisa, I think if you're going to remain in the NE for the next 5 years or so, you need to find ways to deal with the gray skies and SAD that can come with it. Take up skiing. If you're in Boston, the slopes are within 3 or 4hrs commute. The fresh air will do you go. Also, ski on sunny days! That will really make you feel better. Also, budget a monthly weekend trip to Florida. I think that might help you cope with the depressing winters.

When I was in Chicago, flying to Tampa almost every month helped me get through winter. I reeeeeeeeeeeally needed the humidity and sun. I know you've struggled with the same thing. So, if you're going to be stuck up there, think ahead and find ways to get your sunshine fix.

If I had to choose between Philadelphia and Boston, I'd definitely go with Boston. Much prettier city.

But I hope Barry ends up at UF! Go Shands!

2008-03-21 12:17 PM

Master
Boston

Dang I leave for lunch and miss out on a good discussion.

FYI, Chick-Fil-A cookies and cream milkshakes ROCK. Hardcore.

2008-03-21 12:44 PM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
I once worked two weeks just outside of Boston.  Ventured into the city, met a young lady, we played pool, did some tonsil hockey.  Boston was fun for a night.  Wait, I was single then.  Nevermind.
2008-03-21 1:12 PM

Champion
Fairport, NY

Boston is not called the Hub of the Universe without reason.

Go. You'll love the city. He'll make incredible contacts that will pay off for the rest of his career. Two years is enough time to decide if you want to settle down in an area without winters, and  if you really don't like the weather Boston has had a couple of centuries to develop all kinds of ways to distract yourself from it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Ok, people, tell me about Boston Rss Feed  

of 3