General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees - They are starting to complain! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-20 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Knees - They are starting to complain!
My knees had not been bothering me running until I bumped up my runs to 10 minute intervals. They didn't hurt so much as feel quite used (maybe a very dull ache) so I took the day off yesterday to give them a good rest.

Anything I should be doing differently? I have proper shoes that only have maybe 150 miles on them. I have been running on the sidewalk but I'm thinking about finding a local track to help dull the impact. Would Knee Wraps/Braces be a good idea or do my knees just need to get used to the idea of more then a few minutes running in a row?

The odd thing is I had run the prior week the same total minutes of running but I did it in 7 minute intervals and I didn't notice the knees complaining.

I'm carrying about 60+ extra pounds (according to my BMI anyway)

Thanks

-muse

2008-03-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1283133

User image

Veteran
Grayson, Ga.
Subject: RE: Knees - They are starting to complain!
Oh the pain.

I have been running for about 4 years and stuff comes and goes.
My plan has always been to back it down a bit for a week or so, and when I say back it down I mean keep it going, but lower the intensity a bit.

Rest up, use RICE Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation between.

Stretch it out.

Make sure you're really warmed up before you start going nuts.

Just last week I was riding on my trainer and I like to finish a bike session with at least a 1 mile run. I was feeling real good, and I ran the mile way too fast and my knees were killing me. I missed 2 other schedules runs because I went too hard.

Post run, walk it down, stretch it out, it's money well spent.

Good luck
2008-03-20 3:23 PM

New user

Pick up ChiRunning. I injured my knee at Big Kahuna last year and wasn't able to run for about 3 months. I've read about halfway through and I've seen a huge difference. I'm faster and feel more efficient. I'm only halfway through because the book recommends mastering things one step at a time.

Look for a borders coupon online... book should be about $11.
2008-03-20 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks -

So as long as there isn't pain I'm basically ok?

I'll see how switching to a real track helps I'm sure the sidewalk isn't a good idea but the closest track is a 2 mile walk, which I don't mind but it's nice to just be able to run around the neighborhood.

2008-03-20 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1283771

New user

I've read a few discussions about knee pain and a lot of people say it is caused by poor running form and speed workouts. Knee pain may not be there when you are doing your runs but it can appear later or the next morning.

I'd take it down a notch or even take a rest day. Pick up the book. It will do a world of wonders. I ran 2.5 miles (short run of the week) last night at a faster pace than normal and without any knee problems (during or after). I would have ran more but I had an appointment to go to.

I have no part of the company nor am I associated with it. It is just a great book that teaches you efficiency and really listening to your body.
2008-03-20 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks I'll check it out. (off to Amazon)

2008-03-21 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

It might be form (and I'll x3 on the Chi-Running a very good book) but it also might be that you're adding mileage/intensity a bit too fast for your body.

Back it down a bit.  Are you following the 10% rule religiously?  And also scheduling "rest weeks" where you give your body a chance to recover?  (working out shorter, and less intense?)

I used to have major problems with my shins, and what I found is that if I didn't push and was very gradual in my addition of mileage that they stopped bothering me, and I stopped getting shin splints entirely.

Now, when my shins start aching/hurting I take that as I sign that I have done too much too fast, and I need to take it easier on myself.

I think it's especially critical for those of us who are heavier to really pay attention to that kind of thing, and especially while running, because that's what puts the most stress on the body. 

2008-03-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1283754

User image

Elite
damnilocano - 2008-03-20 4:23 PM

Pick up ChiRunning. I injured my knee at Big Kahuna last year and wasn't able to run for about 3 months. I've read about halfway through and I've seen a huge difference. I'm faster and feel more efficient. I'm only halfway through because the book recommends mastering things one step at a time.

Look for a borders coupon online... book should be about $11.

The book helped me out a good bit too. Although I would say 70% off the book is fluff, the other 30% is good.
2008-03-21 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1285539

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

aarondavidson - 2008-03-21 10:44 AM
damnilocano - 2008-03-20 4:23 PM Pick up ChiRunning. I injured my knee at Big Kahuna last year and wasn't able to run for about 3 months. I've read about halfway through and I've seen a huge difference. I'm faster and feel more efficient. I'm only halfway through because the book recommends mastering things one step at a time. Look for a borders coupon online... book should be about $11.
The book helped me out a good bit too. Although I would say 70% off the book is fluff, the other 30% is good.

Yeah, forgot that part.  Ignore (well unless you want to) all the zen stuff and focus on the actual techniques.  I thought his take on the "zen" of running was interesting from a philosophical standpoint, but it was the technique stuff that was really helpful. 

2008-03-21 10:45 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I like chi running so much I named myself after it. Plus it helps I am from the chicago area. .

sidewalks are bad for you. Make sure you are streching also. Tight mucsles and form are 2 big things. Terrain is important but a dirt path can hurt you just as much as sidewalks if its rocky.
2008-03-22 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Yeah to tell you the truth I already had it on my wish-list from awhile back, but the new age type of books tend to irritate me so I never took the plunge. I have an amazon GC though so I may use it on that.

I'm thinking my knees were also complaining that day because I did a indoor bike after that run and I think my seat was a bit low. Gah.. I hate that exercise bike. It's evil I tell you.

snow snow GO away. I want to play on my new bike.

2008-03-24 3:08 PM

Veteran
Also, remember that the pounding is about 7 times your weight on one foot. For me, that's a whooolllle lot of pounds on the pavement. Try the run/walk method.
2008-03-24 10:54 PM
in reply to: #1290259

User image

Master
Chicago
I have been doing the run walk method. I started in January with 1 run / 5 walk and I've weened myself all the way upto 10run / 1 walk.

(Mind you I've been active for almost a year prior to this so it wasn't exactly off the couch and I followed a program so as to not jump ahead too quickly)
2008-03-26 11:31 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
When I first started running, my knees felt 'heavy', almost like they were swollen, but they weren't. That feeling went away.

A few months ago I started feeling some knee pain. As it turns out, it was the pushing off the wall during my swims that was bothering it. Now I push off mostly with one leg, and very gently. It doesn't look so good on the time clock, but I can continue to train.

Edited by Shoeless 2008-03-26 11:31 PM
2008-04-02 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuna, Idaho

I have 2 things that help me be able to run with little pain.  I Ice my knees on any feeling of soreness.  I found a great recipe for an ice bag.  I have 2 bags setup this way one for each knee.  Take 2 double ziploc gallon bag and put 1 cup Isopropyl alcohol and 3.5 cups water and freeze.  The will last for hours.  I have even left them out over night and the next morning that are still very cold.

The second might be more mental than anything but I believe that I can Tell the days that I don't take them and the days that I do.  I take 2x2 times/day Tissue Rejuvenator from hammer http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4057.   I have used other glucosamine and Chondroitin products and I think that Tissue works better.  I have patellas that are miss shaped and I could not run for years.  With out them I would not be able to run. 

Also on a side note don't add mileage too fast as above is also very wise and only add for 3 weeks and then take it back some for a week.  3 on 1 off!!!

2008-04-04 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I found that taking some ibuprofen before a run would help - don't know if it's good for you or not.
Also, sidewalks are supposed to be very bad, cement doesn't give. I run on the road - supposed to be better.

2008-04-04 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1316581

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
MuscleMomma - 2008-04-04 3:32 PM

I found that taking some ibuprofen before a run would help - don't know if it's good for you or not.
Also, sidewalks are supposed to be very bad, cement doesn't give. I run on the road - supposed to be better.

Its typically good not to mask pain because if you hurt yourself you might not feel it.

Cement is very hard on your body. I had tendious on my knee and it was not too bad until I was forced on the sidewalk. Then it killing me.
2008-04-04 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Well my knees haven't really been bothering me since I posted I think I just had a hard run and bike in the same day with my bike saddle being too low causing the issue.

Of course now my BACK hurts the longer I stretch out my runs. Only near the end of the runs for example I did 20minute intervals x3 with 2 2min walk breaks in the middle today by the last 10 minutes my back was killing me. The more weight I drop and the longer I run the more it bugs me. I think my body doesn't know how to carry my weight anymore.

I suppose it's a sign I need to strength train more. Time to figure out how to fit in some Jari love DVD time I guess and make use of those adjustable weights I got from Target after the holidays.

2008-04-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1316588

User image

Expert
MA
chirunner134 - 2008-04-04 3:35 PM

Its typically good not to mask pain because if you hurt yourself you might not feel it.

A standard dose of ibuprofen isn't going to mask anything important. All it will do is take a little edge off. It's not like he's suggesting the guy take a narcotic painkiller. It's certainly not going to mask an injury or even the standard pain that comes with exertion because the cause is still present. It may actually have a small positive effect as an anti-inflammatory in this case in keeping swelling down in ailing knees. The main downside won't be injury masking, it will be increased nausea and maybe increased blood pressure (bad bad during a race) if the person becomes dehydrated.
2008-04-29 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Ice is really important. If the pain continues and radiates anywhere else.. it would be worth the money to get a running assessment from a sports physical therapist. Also... since you have lost so much weight... you may want to get refitted for your running shoes... you may need a different type of shoe. When you are in the acute pain stage... try your best to not run 2 days in a row and that shoud also help. If the pain persists over a long period of time... def. get medical help.

Elizabeth
2008-04-29 11:33 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Yah..I agree.. I hate running on sidewalks! Last year, I was trying to build up the miles and I had a 3 mile loop that I did that was all on sidewalks. A couple of weeks into it, my left knee started hurting... I stopped for a while and when I started back, on the road, all was well. As I was walking that route with the family one day, I noticed that the sidewalk had a tilt to it. lol.. the entire route was like that... all leaning the same direction. No wonder my knee started hurting! I really didn't notice this on early morning runs... I guess I was still asleep.

If I had my choice though.. all my runs would be on trails. It is much easier on the legs.. well.. that is if you don't break your ankle on stumps and rocks..

Kenny

2008-04-30 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I have taken ibuprofen to avoid shin splints. I've assumed that it would prevent the swelling on the shin which hurts. I also know that swelling is the bodys way of healing, so it might not be a good idea.
Can anyone set me straight on this? So far this year I'm having more problems with pain BEHIND the knee. Quite odd.
2008-04-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1371279

User image

Expert
MA
Ten9T6 - 2008-04-29 11:33 PM

Yah..I agree.. I hate running on sidewalks! Last year, I was trying to build up the miles and I had a 3 mile loop that I did that was all on sidewalks. A couple of weeks into it, my left knee started hurting... I stopped for a while and when I started back, on the road, all was well. As I was walking that route with the family one day, I noticed that the sidewalk had a tilt to it. lol.. the entire route was like that... all leaning the same direction. No wonder my knee started hurting! I really didn't notice this on early morning runs... I guess I was still asleep.

If I had my choice though.. all my runs would be on trails. It is much easier on the legs.. well.. that is if you don't break your ankle on stumps and rocks..

Kenny

Roads have a tilt to them too - in the opposite direction. It's designed that way so that water runs off the sidewalk into the gutter and off the road into the gutter, and then often towards a storm drain if there is one present. Running on the road in most places isn't going to solve a slight grade problem. It's only going to transfer it to the other knee.

Maybe you should rotate days, one on the sidewalk, one on the road?
2008-04-30 7:57 AM
in reply to: #1316649

User image

Expert
White House, TN

IdealMuse - 2008-04-05 12:52 AM Well my knees haven't really been bothering me since I posted I think I just had a hard run and bike in the same day with my bike saddle being too low causing the issue. 

Umm...yeah.  Bike seat too low will make your knees hurt more than running.

2008-04-30 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1371503

User image

Master
Sachse
chadtower - 2008-04-30 7:41 AM

Roads have a tilt to them too - in the opposite direction. It's designed that way so that water runs off the sidewalk into the gutter and off the road into the gutter, and then often towards a storm drain if there is one present. Running on the road in most places isn't going to solve a slight grade problem. It's only going to transfer it to the other knee.

Maybe you should rotate days, one on the sidewalk, one on the road?

Maybe that was why it didn't hurt when I started back. I was "undoing" what I had done leading up to that point. You are correct though... it does have a lean, but not like that dang sidewalk did. I have different routes now, to keep it interesting.

Kenny
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees - They are starting to complain! Rss Feed  

of 2