General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees - They are starting to complain! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-07 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1283133

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY
Subject: RE: Knees - They are starting to complain!
Motrin/Ibuprofen.  AKA Vitamin M for military folks.  They prescribe it for everything and in huge 800mg doses.  I think that as much as it is for eliminating pain in the joints it is just as good as preventative medicine, Osteo Bio-flex that is.  Chrondoitin, glucosamine, and MSM are all critical for joint tissue health.  Just my two cents worth.

2008-05-14 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1386584

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I am a firm believer that proper shoes solve most of our knee and ankle pain. After going our local running store a getting properly fit and gettiing new shoes every 300 miles I have yet to have any more knee problems.
2008-05-15 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

My knees act up from time to time and it is usually one of a few things.

1) shoes are starting to go bad

2) I don't stretch after

3) I don't do any leg weight training

4) I don't self massage (my knees!!)

5) I don't do knee cap mobility excercies.

Fixing 1 is easy buy new shoes.  #2 as long as I do a few quad stretches it helps. #3 I will do leg extensions with light weight and only move the last 30deg of the machine to strengthen the muscles around the ITB. #4 I try to massage the IT band regulary to keep it loose, when I do that I feel so much better.  #5  my doctor had me basically sit with my legs out straight and use my thumbs to move my knee cap towards my toes for 10 sec, then towards my waist then towards each side doing 3 sets, 10 second each direction a few times a day.  This strengthens the ligaments below the knee cap I believe and it did help.  He also gave me some other excerises to do but this seemed to help the most.  Regardless if I do all 5 I feel great.

2008-05-28 9:24 PM

New user
Urbandale, IA
Lots of good advice - the ibuprofen bit - you can take up to 800 mg so if my knees have been hurting I take two before and two after .... also follow the RICE someone suggested.

3 things to add:
1. Get an ace bandage or sleeve to help with compression - not too tight but I have a medical sleeve from a surgery and it helps a lot (extends from the thigh down through the calf).
2. lay flat and get your legs WAY up in the air on to a couch or big bean bag chair - stay there - for a long time.... when I started training for my upcoming olympic distance I would put my feet up on an exercise ball and nap....
3. ice bath - bathtub + cold water + a bunch of ice = 15minutes of pure .... cold.... but ti takes swelling WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYyyyyyyyy down. you can also hop back in after you warm up for about 15-30 minutes.....

good luck - I tend to baby my knees.... off to elevate them here shortly!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knees - They are starting to complain! Rss Feed  

of 2