The Crescent City Fitness foundation
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Parked down at the stadium and waited for the shuttle busses. Caught a ride down to the Quarter. Once we got down there, I had about 20 mins till the race started, so I decided to hit the port-o-potty. Waited, waited, waited in line. Finally got to go with 5 mins left until the start of the race. Being 4 or 5 blocks from the start line, I started jogging towards the start of the race, and heard the starting cannon go off when I was still 5 or 6 blocks away. No big deal though, because with 18,000+ runners, it was going to take a while to get to the line anyways. So the jog down there was a good warmup.
Run
  • 54m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Crowded is not the word for this race. For the first 1.5 miles, every step was made trying to dodge walkers, strollers, even a wheelchair. There were runners yelling at walkers, walkers yelling at runners, and runners/walkers yelling at onlookers that were crowding the sidewalks. At one point, I actually had to run backwards to pass a group little old ladies walking side by side.

After it thinned out a little, everything went smooth and I was able to keep my pace pretty steady. Once I hit the 5 mile mark, I realized that I might be able to squeak out a PR, so I tried to hold it steady. Got a good final kick in for the last .2, and ended up with a PR by about 10 secs.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was the best "racing" I have done in a long time. I really felt like I pushed as hard as I could have. Considering my current fitness level, I'm VERY happy with the results.

I had forgotten since the last CCC how crowded the course is. The only option is to get faster and start with the seeded runners, so I guess that's what I'll have to do!
Post race
Warm down:

I don't remember the last time I was this spent right after a race. Had to catch my breath, then walked to the stadium. Got a gatorade, some jambalaya, and then a beer. I meet Jarod from Subway, and he signed one of his baseball cards for my son. Then I relaxed with some friends for a little bit and waited for Cowboy Mouth to start. They were awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Always a good race with a good expo and after-party. Wish I could have meet up with the other BT'ers there, but hopefully next time.

Last updated: 2008-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:44 | 06.21 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
1: 9:42 2: 8:54 3: 8:32 4: 8:43 5: 8:42 6: 8:30 .2: 1:38
Course: Started in the French Quarter, then winded back Esplanade, finishing in City Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-24 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Crescent City Classic

2008-03-24 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1289127

User image

Extreme Veteran
Really South
Subject: RE: Crescent City Classic
Oh man.....I didn't get to meet Jarod. Hate I missed that part. Congrats on the PR. After the crowd thinned out (which took forever) I do agree that it was a great run. But, they really need to do something about the walkers and strollers.
2008-03-24 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Unbelieveable to PR with that kind of crowds. Keep up the good work. Get on over to Alabama and do a tri this spring.
2008-03-27 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Hey!  Way to get back on the racing train!  Miss you!  You need to make it out here to DFW for some of these races...no post-race beer though
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent City Classic Rss Feed