Colorado Master Running Association
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 35s
Overall Rank = 23/81
Age Group = 34 & under
Age Group Rank = 6/
Pre-race routine:

wake up, light breakfast of toast with peanutbutter and nutela, gatorade. sipping a bit of water on the way to the race.
out the door at 8 to pick up Paul. got to the course before 8:30, checked in, met up with Scott, talked about the weather, clothing, goals, etc. while getting ourselves ready for a warmup
Event warmup:

out to 1mi marker and back with Paul & Scott. Pretty easy. A few pickups once I got back.
powered up the garmin and got a low battery warning, so I turned it off to save the juice for the race. it wouldn't power up at all when I went to turn it on again so I took it off and removed the chest strap - felt liberating
Run
  • 44m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

The strategy: first 2 mi ~7min/mi, pick up for the next 3 mi, then hammer it home.
What really happened:
Went out “comfortably” just behind a pack with a lot of familiar faces: which is good, tells me I’m not being aggressive at least. We got to the 1st mi marker and I heard someone behind me hit his lap button so I asked what the time was. “6:25” I hear. Oops. felt OK, but knew I needed to slow it down a tad so I let the pack drift forward a bit. I wanted to run my own race. So I just “maintained” going out and was mentally preparing myself for a fast return (which was with the wind). As turnaround approached I really starting to feel poor – weak, out of form, just drained.
Paul never really pulled away (I believe I counted ~6sec back at the turn, which he said was less than 21min). Saw Scott shortly after that downing some water and nearly missed him. This 4th mile is where I really started to fall off. The ache in my right side turned into a very terrible stitch. I pulled the pace back a bit, got passed by a few people. Started to think about dropping out of the race at this point (which I never have done), but walking back seamed only slightly less appealing. Just after the 4mi marker I had to stop (which I have never done in a running race). This got the hr down and my side started feeling better. Started up again and easing into a pace where I was playing around with my side stitch coming back. All during the return I was really trying to find a strong mental focus to see if I could isolate the aches, but couldn’t. I managed to get my pace back up (probably below 8min/mi again). Didn’t bother pushing the last ½ mi nor kick it in. I was surprised to see 44 min on the race clock (overall finish ~15sec slower than the same race last year). I thought 43min was realistic and still feel that had I "felt healthy" I would have come in below 43min.

What would you do differently?:

stick to my race strategy first. no need to go out in 6:25 - that pace isn't sustainable.
Post race
Warm down:

very easy trot out to 1mi marker and back with Paul & Scott

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nasty ass side stitch. worst I've ever experienced.

Event comments:

CMRA membership: 14 races for $25 - all well-done.

Last updated: 2008-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:35 | 06.21 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 230/81
Performance: Bad
none - garmin wasn't charged
Course: pretty flat out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-25 9:09 AM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: CMRA Tom Bailey Spring Spree

2008-03-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1291626

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: CMRA Tom Bailey Spring Spree
If you had been healthy you would have shattered your 10K PR !!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CMRA Tom Bailey Spring Spree Rss Feed