in reply to: #1294360

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Are people this ignorant?
AUSQuest - 2008-03-26 9:14 AM

Ahhh You Americans .... You are all fat in the worlds eyes...... J/K

It's not a joke.

It's reality.

America is the fattest country in the world, I believe I heard that the other day.

60% of our population is overweight or obese.

What's really sad is that parents who are obese are teaching their kids how to eat... and now we have 300 pound teenagers running around.

Our health care system is going to be taxed in the upcoming years dealing with all the fallout from having a society that is obese.

People are doing to start dying younger, due to the health issues that come along with being obese.

It's very sad.

But yet... people want to argue that it's OK to be overweight. "I'm big and beautiful." Well, you won't be if you die young. People get offended and upset when the facts are laid out in front of them.

Really, I just feel sorry for the kids who are being lead down such an unhealthy path. Let the adults kill themselves with food... that's their choice. But kids? I think it's depressing when I hear that 10 year old weighs more than I do... a 35 year old adult.
2008-03-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1292585

BTW, I don't see any reason to blame fast food companies. They are selling what people want to buy. If people wanted cucumber sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a side of almonds, they would sell them. Most people want bacon cheeseburgers.

I was surprised that McDonalds' salads sold as well as they did, and were very profitable. Admittedly, the option with the fried chicken and ranch dressing isn't very healthy, but the grilled chicken with low fat dressing is.
2008-03-26 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1294571

Expert
Kansas City, MO

eberulf - 2008-03-26 10:14 AM BTW, I don't see any reason to blame fast food companies. They are selling what people want to buy. If people wanted cucumber sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a side of almonds, they would sell them. Most people want bacon cheeseburgers. I was surprised that McDonalds' salads sold as well as they did, and were very profitable. Admittedly, the option with the fried chicken and ranch dressing isn't very healthy, but the grilled chicken with low fat dressing is.

x2, the only thing i blame McDonalds for is changing the oil they use for their french fries...  yea i know it is healthier now, but the fries suck b/c of it        don't eat a lot of fast food at all, but Micky D's fries used to be awesome.....   what has happened to personal responsibility in that now i cant get a good fry anywhere............  

2008-03-26 10:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-03-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1294451

Master
St. Louis
PennState - 2008-03-26 9:41 AM

ranger5oh - 2008-03-26 10:18 AM
PennState - 2008-03-26 5:56 AM

Once again, I see a lot of judgmentalism going on.

1. People judging the fat guy.
2. Overweight people judging the OP.
3. And a few people judging physicians... because apparently it's their responsibility to fix their obesity problem?

I guess we all accomplished what we wanted with this post
(My only judgement here is that this post should have been in COJ)

COJ doesnt generate as much discussion... thats why I posted it here... just FYI. Judging goes on .. its a fact of life, if you say you dont judge people, or dont think people should judge other people.... you are in fact judging the people who are doing the judging. So thats just a moot point. What my original post shows is that the person instinctively KNOWS what he is doing wrong, and in two consecutive sentences contradicted himself. I am VERY proud of the overweight people who have come onto this forum and have taken an active role in their health. They have accepted the fact they have a personal responsibility to get healthy, and arent leaving it to the doctor to prescribe an anti-fat pill. There are so many resources nowadays, with the internet, to educate one self on diet and exercise. Granted, view 20 different sites and get 20 different opinions. The common theme is going to be eat less and exercise. I understand that the knowledge isnt always the main part... its support, and willpower too. I just dont like hearing "its not my fault.. my metabolism is just slow." Thats simply not the case in most situations.

Never said I wasn't judgmental... just said that it's a hard thing to avoid. Could you point to the part of my post that said I was never judgmental... or do you just skim posts???

Withholding judgment is a good thing to strive to do SOMETIMES Most of us could do well to judge less (including me) and this definitely includes you too. Yes, as you say judging goes on it's a fact of life... but doesn't that lead to a lot of problems... like the judgmentalism of racism, sexism etc, etc. I feel like it's OK to strive to be better... even if I don't always avoid judging myself... I'm trying

Moderators.... Still wishing this was in COJ
(or maybe we could have a new forum... discussions of weight involving political correctness with and without judgment)

Im a bit of a skimmer... I must admit. Im multitasking as I post.

Anyway, dont judge me to be a skimmer! jk. You got your wish though, we are in COJ now

2008-03-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1294451

Pro
Parker, CO
PennState - 2008-03-26 8:41 AM
ranger5oh - 2008-03-26 10:18 AM
PennState - 2008-03-26 5:56 AM

Once again, I see a lot of judgmentalism going on.

1. People judging the fat guy.
2. Overweight people judging the OP.
3. And a few people judging physicians... because apparently it's their responsibility to fix their obesity problem?

I guess we all accomplished what we wanted with this post
(My only judgement here is that this post should have been in COJ)

COJ doesnt generate as much discussion... thats why I posted it here... just FYI. Judging goes on .. its a fact of life, if you say you dont judge people, or dont think people should judge other people.... you are in fact judging the people who are doing the judging. So thats just a moot point. What my original post shows is that the person instinctively KNOWS what he is doing wrong, and in two consecutive sentences contradicted himself. I am VERY proud of the overweight people who have come onto this forum and have taken an active role in their health. They have accepted the fact they have a personal responsibility to get healthy, and arent leaving it to the doctor to prescribe an anti-fat pill. There are so many resources nowadays, with the internet, to educate one self on diet and exercise. Granted, view 20 different sites and get 20 different opinions. The common theme is going to be eat less and exercise. I understand that the knowledge isnt always the main part... its support, and willpower too. I just dont like hearing "its not my fault.. my metabolism is just slow." Thats simply not the case in most situations.

Never said I wasn't judgmental... just said that it's a hard thing to avoid. Could you point to the part of my post that said I was never judgmental... or do you just skim posts???

Withholding judgment is a good thing to strive to do SOMETIMES Most of us could do well to judge less (including me) and this definitely includes you too. Yes, as you say judging goes on it's a fact of life... but doesn't that lead to a lot of problems... like the judgmentalism of racism, sexism etc, etc. I feel like it's OK to strive to be better... even if I don't always avoid judging myself... I'm trying

Moderators.... Still wishing this was in COJ
(or maybe we could have a new forum... discussions of weight involving political correctness with and without judgment)

I think the world would be a much better place with a little less judging of others.  I know I constantly work at being less judgmental.  (caught myself just the other day at the deli counter when some 300+ pound lady was buying a couple pounds of everything...I'm sure it wasn't all for her)

2008-03-26 10:35 AM

Pro
Between mid-January and last week I lost 21.5 lbs, doing no regular strenuous exercise other than chasing an 11 month-old around. The way I did it was by reducing my fat intake, reducing my sugar intake, increasing my vegetable intake and reducing my alcohol intake. I never went hungry, though.

I plan on getting back into training now that I am back at work, but weight loss is not magic. And what time of day I consume my calories matters not a whit. In fact, I snack within an hour of going to bed every night. I eat lowfat yoghurt with all-bran or GoLean. The evening snack is great, because I don't worry about not eating enough at dinnertime.

The diet that I followed said simply that weight loss can be boiled down to math. 1 lb of fat = 3600 calories. So, if you want to lose 1 lb per week, you have to eat about 500 calories less per day.

Another point is that not changing your dietary habits but exercising more instead will take much longer to achieve results that dieting alone or dieting and exercise combined. It's just that you have to do tons of exercise to burn 500 calories.
2008-03-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1294526

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1294571

Champion
Dallas, TX
eberulf - 2008-03-26 10:14 AM

BTW, I don't see any reason to blame fast food companies. They are selling what people want to buy. If people wanted cucumber sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a side of almonds, they would sell them. Most people want bacon cheeseburgers.

I was surprised that McDonalds' salads sold as well as they did, and were very profitable. Admittedly, the option with the fried chicken and ranch dressing isn't very healthy, but the grilled chicken with low fat dressing is.

Supply and Demand.

When I worked at Taco Bell... from around 1993-1995, we had this new promotion come out. OH! They thought it was going to be HUGE and ROCK the WORLD! It was the low fat menu. Low calorie/fat tortillas, beans, cheese, etc.

As I'm sure you guessed... seeing it's not on the menu.. it was a huge flop. I don't recall selling any of it really. I think it lasted all of 3 months.

Supply and Demand.

2008-03-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1294830

Champion
Dallas, TX
wgraves7582 - 2008-03-26 11:20 AM

KSH - 2008-03-26 11:04 AM

It's not a joke.

It's reality.

America is the fattest country in the world, I believe I heard that the other day.

What's really sad is that parents who are obese are teaching their kids how to eat... and now we have 300 pound teenagers running around.

Our health care system is going to be taxed in the upcoming years dealing with all the fallout from having a society that is obese.

People are doing to start dying younger, due to the health issues that come along with being obese.

It's very sad.

But yet... people want to argue that it's OK to be overweight. "I'm big and beautiful." Well, you won't be if you die young. People get offended and upset when the facts are laid out in front of them.

Really, I just feel sorry for the kids who are being lead down such an unhealthy path. Let the adults kill themselves with food... that's their choice. But kids? I think it's depressing when I hear that 10 year old weighs more than I do... a 35 year old adult.

I agree with this, but unfortunately some of that is based on BMI - which puts me overweight and not far from obese and I have 11% BF. Probably a minority outside of the exercising world, but why don't they put something more accurate out there for measurements and placing words like overweight or obese on people.

Well, BMI is a bunch of bull. Obesity should be based on how much extra weight you are carrying around, not based on BMI.

2008-03-26 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1294952

Elite
San Jose, CA

KSH - 2008-03-26 9:58 AM
eberulf - 2008-03-26 10:14 AM BTW, I don't see any reason to blame fast food companies. They are selling what people want to buy. If people wanted cucumber sandwiches on whole wheat bread with a side of almonds, they would sell them. Most people want bacon cheeseburgers. I was surprised that McDonalds' salads sold as well as they did, and were very profitable. Admittedly, the option with the fried chicken and ranch dressing isn't very healthy, but the grilled chicken with low fat dressing is.
Supply and Demand. When I worked at Taco Bell... from around 1993-1995, we had this new promotion come out. OH! They thought it was going to be HUGE and ROCK the WORLD! It was the low fat menu. Low calorie/fat tortillas, beans, cheese, etc. As I'm sure you guessed... seeing it's not on the menu.. it was a huge flop. I don't recall selling any of it really. I think it lasted all of 3 months. Supply and Demand.

Actually in my area it lasted about a year and even had a write up in Men's Fitness, that applauded them for doing this.  I use to buy it all the time, this was when I was in college...they had the low fat menu from 1990 - 1991...again, at least where I was.  It upset me very much when they got rid of it.

2008-03-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1295056

Champion
Dallas, TX
runningwoof - 2008-03-26 12:22 PM

KSH - 2008-03-26 9:58 AM
Supply and Demand. When I worked at Taco Bell... from around 1993-1995, we had this new promotion come out. OH! They thought it was going to be HUGE and ROCK the WORLD! It was the low fat menu. Low calorie/fat tortillas, beans, cheese, etc. As I'm sure you guessed... seeing it's not on the menu.. it was a huge flop. I don't recall selling any of it really. I think it lasted all of 3 months. Supply and Demand.

Actually in my area it lasted about a year and even had a write up in Men's Fitness, that applauded them for doing this.  I use to buy it all the time, this was when I was in college...they had the low fat menu from 1990 - 1991...again, at least where I was.  It upset me very much when they got rid of it.

Ah in California I can see it lasting a year.

I'm in Texas. And I was in a relatively small town in Texas... and it was a college town. Not really the makings for a place to sell a lot of low fat items.

It must have been successful out there so they spread it across the country. I graduated from HS in 1991. Went to college in 1991. But didn't get a job at Taco Bell until 1993/94.
2008-03-26 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1292811

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Daremo - 2008-03-25 4:03 PM

Your digestion may slow down a bit, but whatever you put in your stomach will still be gone by the morning. Especially considering that you have more time between meals to digest things.

Logically, would it makes sense that your stomach shuts down for the night when you go to sleep? Your heart doesn't, your mind doesn't, your digestive system doesn't.

I disagree, of course the food is gone but more is "stored" because your body is using less.  Now, it's not that all of the food is "stored" because your body is doing a lot of important work while sleeping (like repairing muscles, breathing, pumping blood) but you do store more fat if you eat real close to bedtime.  Logically.

Ok, next person come and prove me wrong now... 

2008-03-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1294952

Pro
MA

KSH - 2008-03-26 12:58 PM

Agree with the supply and demand. 

And, being in front of you doesn't mean you have to take it.  Like there is a knief in front of you doesn't mean you have to stab yourself with it. 

2008-03-26 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1292795

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

lfrick - 2008-03-25 1:57 PM
lorabby - 2008-03-25 2:47 PM o cut 'em some slack. They aren't ignorant, they just have blind spots. Maybe they were making small talk. Fitness is overrated anyway. There've been lots of really accomplished fat folk, Orson Wells, Luciano Pavarotti, Aretha...
I think Aretha ate Orson and Luciano

I watched the Grammys last month...Aretha looked like she ate ALL THREE tenors. 

2008-03-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1296311

Expert
rcberto - 2008-03-26 7:47 PM

Daremo - 2008-03-25 4:03 PM

Your digestion may slow down a bit, but whatever you put in your stomach will still be gone by the morning. Especially considering that you have more time between meals to digest things.

Logically, would it makes sense that your stomach shuts down for the night when you go to sleep? Your heart doesn't, your mind doesn't, your digestive system doesn't.

I disagree, of course the food is gone but more is "stored" because your body is using less.  Now, it's not that all of the food is "stored" because your body is doing a lot of important work while sleeping (like repairing muscles, breathing, pumping blood) but you do store more fat if you eat real close to bedtime.  Logically.

Ok, next person come and prove me wrong now... 

eh? More fat close to bedtime....no. Your body uses what it needs then stores excess. eg you have a crazy day at work that limited you to breakfast then nothing until 9pm, you will feel lousy from lack of calories but it doesn't mean you will store more of what you take in as fat. It will simply use what it needs. Reflux is the main problem with the late meals....

As far as another part of the thread discussing # of meals daily. The main benefit derived from multiple smaller meals is a consistancy of blood sugar levels. A little food goes in, a little insulin is produced, then a short time later, a small amount of food/a small amount of insulin. On the flip side, eat 3 big meals and you get three big surges in insulin production. That is what causes the "crash" after a big lunch. Frequent smaller meals keeps a more steady blood sugar and you avoid the highs and lows....
2008-03-27 1:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
earth
maybe you can try to help him, rather than rag on him.
2008-03-27 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1294958

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
KSH - 2008-03-26 12:59 PM

wgraves7582 - 2008-03-26 11:20 AM

KSH - 2008-03-26 11:04 AM

It's not a joke.

It's reality.

It's very sad.

I agree with this, but unfortunately some of that is based on BMI - which puts me overweight and not far from obese and I have 11% BF. Probably a minority outside of the exercising world, but why don't they put something more accurate out there for measurements and placing words like overweight or obese on people.

Well, BMI is a bunch of bull. Obesity should be based on how much extra weight you are carrying around, not based on BMI.

I agree with you but it is true Americans are the largest people in the world. Regardless of BMI ...... Although Super Size Me was an extreme look at the eating habbits of Americans it really opend up alot of peoples eyes.
2008-03-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1294360

Expert
Kansas City, MO

AUSQuest - 2008-03-26 9:14 AM Ahhh You Americans .... You are all fat in the worlds eyes...... J/K

hey i think we just have far more thyroid conditions in the US.......

2008-03-28 4:07 AM

Littleton, CO
Yes. Wait, let me read the 5 pages of posts first...

Yes.
2008-03-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1299083

Buttercup

otter68 - 2008-03-28 5:07 AM

Yes. Wait, let me read the 5 pages of posts first...

Yes.

HAHAH!!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Are people this ignorant? Rss Feed  

of 5