Somersault Promotions
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 49s
Overall Rank = 82/90
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0500 for breakfast etc. Breakfast consisted of porridge and a banana. Left home at 0600 and arrived at the event site 15 mins later. Found a parking spot really close by. Set up transition zone, collected timing chip and then waited until 0700 to attend race brief.
Event warmup:

Slow jog along the first part of the 2k path, about 300m and rtn. Good stretch.
Run
  • 12m 43s
  • 2 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Followed my plan of starting slow on the run. My HR was way above average through out.
What would you do differently?:

Place more emphasis on running for my training, otherwise the run went just as expected.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything was going great until I went to hop on the bike and discovered that my chain had come off. I had to rack my bike at the end of the rack and I think someone accidently spun my crank backwards which caused the chain to drop off the front sprocket. Althought this was quickly fixed it was enough of a distraction to cause me to temporarily lose my rhythm.

Although my shoes where clipped onto my pedals they where left hanging free. I need to practice using rubber bands to hold the shoe level. This would probably also prevent my crank from being spun backwards
Bike
  • 1h 14m 21s
  • 30 kms
  • 24.21 km/hr
Comments:

Was not until half way through the frst leg that my HR actually settled into something resembling normal. I was slightly worried that I was going to get a puncture as I had two in the last week and was not able to find the cause. No pucture but I did have to make a nature break just before the end on the first leg. Once that was done I was able to settle into a good rhythm and the rest of the bike just flew by. I felt that I had good energy levels and was pretty well hydrated. Good spin at the end and was able to dismount without my legs in to bad of a condition.

Not much, maybe push a bit harder on the bike and take some additional nutrition
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quick transition, shoes left attached to the bike on dismount. Everything nicely set up for the second run.

Nothing, this was a good transition
Run
  • 34m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 52s  min/km
Comments:

This was the hard portion for me. I started fairly well but quickly ran out of energy. I walked most of the course and was passed by quite a few people. Also I did not take my water bottle with me as I thought that the water station was closer that ended up being. As a result I was fairly dehydrated by the time I got water.

I need to train the run portion more so that I can complete this without walking and make sure that I take water and sports drink with me rather than count on the water station.
Post race
Warm down:

Light walk for about 5 minutes, lots of fluids and then some light stretching for about 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to concentrate more on run training, longer distances to get my endurance up.

Event comments:

Overall not bad given that this was my first multi-sport event in 20 years. My training plan was geared for me to comfortably complete the Try-A-Tri and the Sprint Du doubled the bike distance and had two runs. I had set my goal to finish in under two hours, which I accomplished. This definately proved to me that I need to work on my running and this was the hard part for me.

Last updated: 2007-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:43 | 02 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 83/90
Performance: Average
Course: 1km out and back. The course was quite flat with the exception of a small rise into the stadium
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:14:21 | 30 kms | 24.21 km/hr
Overall: 72/90
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 7.5k out and back so one loop was 15k.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:21 | 05 kms | 06m 52s  min/km
Overall: 83/90
Performance: Below average
Course: Fairly flat course, 2.5k out and back. Water station at the 1.8k mark.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes