Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-31 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1306767

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand
Spokes - 2008-03-31 9:38 PM
TexOma - 2008-03-31 7:14 PM

No. High school cheer squads do cheer at games. That is their sole purpose. But you won't find any (or at least very very few) high school squads at competitive events.

Competitive cheerleading is very different. Just like you have gymnastics competitions, competitive cheerleading competitions are the same thing only combine it with dance and make a team sport out of it.

Edit - Yes OldAg, they are as different as night and day.

I understood the difference when I made my original post. I still would not approve/support my daughter being involved in this. Its still competition with no goal in mind other than beating other teams; endless practices and competitions which disrupt families, like soccer/baseball/softball practice. I saw how degrading it was for my stepchildren to lose to other teams and the only kids that got to regularly play were the athletically talented ones. There are many other ways to foster athletic involvement and positive self-esteem without turning it into an activity the entire family revolves around.

Whatever happened to a group of kids just going to a sandlot and playing games where the score didn't count, as we did when I was a child? Why does *everything* have to be organized and supervised now? I don't buy the 'mean dangerous world' crap either, there were child predators when I was a kid too - The Blonde is positive that she was stalked by Ted Bundy in his VW when she was 9, after seeing pictures of him and his VW years later here in Sacramento. Stuff happens. Sometimes I think the real purpose of these teams is the 'my kid is better than your kid' suburbanite syndrome. 

wow, I am sorry your experience with team sports was so bad!   I look back on my years in sports as a kid as very fun and it built many life skills.  

2008-04-01 12:02 AM
in reply to: #1306961

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-01 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1306808

Expert
Lara - 2008-03-31 10:02 PM

No. High school cheer squads do cheer at games. That is their sole purpose. But you won't find any (or at least very very few) high school squads at competitive events.

Competitive cheerleading is very different. Just like you have gymnastics competitions, competitive cheerleading competitions are the same thing only combine it with dance and make a team sport out of it.

ok.. i'm even MORE lost.. they train, prepare and compete for a skill that is not even put towards it's intended use?? what is the point in "Cheering" when you're not "Cheering" for anybody??

do the "Competitive Cheer" athletes go on to get Cheer scholarships, etc?

lol.. (sorry i have to laugh to myself) Only in Texas

This is not "only in Texas". Georgia, Florida, Virginia and many other states are heavily into this.

And as for "what's the point if you're not cheering for someone?", well, what's the point in gymnastics or dance if you're not dancing for someone?  Pick a new name.  It's just like a gymnastics competition for girls who want to combine it with dance. 

There are colleges that have cheerleading scholarships.  They are few.  Just like most boys who grow up playing football (vacant lot, school team or YMCA, etc) don't go to college on a scholarship, most girls don't go on cheerleading scholarship.

2008-04-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1306588

Buttercup
OldAg92 - 2008-03-31 9:45 PM

I think you are confused.  This is NOT cheering for sports teams, and is NOT a "sexual incentive for the boys to win."  They ar enowhere near football games, basketball games, etc.  They are either in a cheer gym working out and taking tumbling lessons, or at a cheerleading competition competing against other girls...like a gymnastics meet.  In fact, from what we've been told, most of these girls do not cheer at school because they don't like the exact stereotypes that you guys are displaying.  They stick to competitve cheer and stay away from cheering for sports.

I did not know this!

Sounds fun and healthy. I hope she enjoys her experience. I think anytime kids learn to push their bodies it's a good thing. Competition teaches us to win and to fail, and keep going no matter what. Sounds excellent all around.

(but swimming is better!!!!)

2008-04-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1306961

Champion
Butler
bootygirl - 2008-03-31 11:52 PM
Spokes - 2008-03-31 9:38 PM

I understood the difference when I made my original post. I still would not approve/support my daughter being involved in this. Its still competition with no goal in mind other than beating other teams; endless practices and competitions which disrupt families, like soccer/baseball/softball practice. I saw how degrading it was for my stepchildren to lose to other teams and the only kids that got to regularly play were the athletically talented ones. There are many other ways to foster athletic involvement and positive self-esteem without turning it into an activity the entire family revolves around.

Whatever happened to a group of kids just going to a sandlot and playing games where the score didn't count, as we did when I was a child? Why does *everything* have to be organized and supervised now? I don't buy the 'mean dangerous world' crap either, there were child predators when I was a kid too - The Blonde is positive that she was stalked by Ted Bundy in his VW when she was 9, after seeing pictures of him and his VW years later here in Sacramento. Stuff happens. Sometimes I think the real purpose of these teams is the 'my kid is better than your kid' suburbanite syndrome. 

wow, I am sorry your experience with team sports was so bad!   I look back on my years in sports as a kid as very fun and it built many life skills.  

X2.  I was the nerdy kid in High School.  Tall, extremely skinny, glasses, smart, etc.  Had I not played team sports my HS days would have been miserable.   Teams sports are great learning experience for kids. 

I will have a hard time telling my son he cannot do something that I don't like when he gets older.  I don't want to even get into cheerleading being a sport.  IMO, if there are judges it is something.  Heck, it is alot better than a girl or boy for that matter sitting at home in their room on Myspace getting fat.  It is physical activity plan an simple.  Yes, there are cheaper alternatives but if it makes the kid happy go for it.

2008-04-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1306767

Champion
Butler

Just to be arguementative what if your daughter said the same to you about triathlons?  Realistically we are all doing this for fun as a way to lose weight.  There are other ways to do that without 6 hour bike rides interupting family time?  All your arguements against it I have seen people use as reason their families complain about tri'ing, just sayin'.  There are ways to do teams sports that are not all encomassing.  My son plays soccer.  1 practice 1 game a week.  I hate soccer, he loves playing it for now so he plays.  As long as I can afford what he wants to do I am all for it.  BTW, growing up my teams generally lost and lost bad.  I think it built character and I was never in a home where I was pushed to win.  I think the kids that have problems with losing are having issues with the parents wanting them to win. 

2008-04-01 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1306808

Expert

"

ok..  i'm even MORE lost..  they train, prepare and compete for a skill that is not even put towards it's intended use??  what is the point in "Cheering" when you're not "Cheering" for anybody??

do the "Competitive Cheer" athletes go on to get Cheer scholarships, etc? 

lol.. (sorry i have to laugh to myself)  Only in Texas

"

It's a good question, but as the parent of a fencer, I'm glad that it's a skill that is not longer put towards its intended use! .

Edited by momandmd 2008-04-01 12:21 PM
2008-04-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1308131

Champion
South Jersey

I don't know why everyone is making so much fun of competitive cheering...and/or its name. It's actually a pretty cool sport and their competitions have been televised on NBC, etc. (you should really check one out). I know that when I was in high school, our high school squad did actually enter competitive cheering competitions. I'd imagine they were against other schools, but the routines were more indepth than what you see on the sidelines during a football game or the halftime show. I can only assume that the sport of competitive cheerleading, in the terms we're discussing in this forum, got its name because it stemmed from cheerleading - it is, essentially, the same thing, you're just not leading cheers for a team. They still do builds and jumps and leaps and stuff that regular cheerleaders would do, but their skill level and gymnastic abilities are second to none. It's really quite cool. I am a big supporter of team sports, and I would venture to say that this sport develops teamwork a lot better than others - baseball, football, etc. Every second you're out there, you're counting on your teammates. you're counting on them to catch you, hold you up, not jump into you, keep you in formation, and to help lead you to victory. Unlike other team sports, you can't be carried through by a few good "players" and no one stands out as a star. You are truly as strong as your weakest link.

I think it's really cool your daughter is doing this. I feel bad that people are knocking it, or not giving it respect since it's name doesn't fully imply what the sport is.. 

Oh, and I wasn't a cheerleader in high school; I was a "real" athlete . Seriously, though, some of these competitive cheerleaders are amazing athletes....far more than what most of you probably saw at your high school and college football games.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-04-01 12:48 PM
2008-04-01 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1301217

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Finally.....thank you. 
2008-04-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1308131

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Lara 2008-04-01 1:00 PM
2008-04-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1308203

Expert
Virginia
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-01 1:46 PM

I don't know why everyone is making so much fun of competitive cheering...and/or its name. It's actually a pretty cool sport and their competitions have been televised on NBC, etc. (you should really check one out). I know that when I was in high school, our high school squad did actually enter competitive cheering competitions. I'd imagine they were against other schools, but the routines were more indepth than what you see on the sidelines during a football game or the halftime show. I can only assume that the sport of competitive cheerleading, in the terms we're discussing in this forum, got its name because it stemmed from cheerleading - it is, essentially, the same thing, you're just not leading cheers for a team. They still do builds and jumps and leaps and stuff that regular cheerleaders would do, but their skill level and gymnastic abilities are second to none. It's really quite cool. I am a big supporter of team sports, and I would venture to say that this sport develops teamwork a lot better than others - baseball, football, etc. Every second you're out there, you're counting on your teammates. you're counting on them to catch you, hold you up, not jump into you, keep you in formation, and to help lead you to victory. Unlike other team sports, you can't be carried through by a few good "players" and no one stands out as a star. You are truly as strong as your weakest link.

I think it's really cool your daughter is doing this. I feel bad that people are knocking it, or not giving it respect since it's name doesn't fully imply what the sport is..

Oh, and I wasn't a cheerleader in high school; I was a "real" athlete . Seriously, though, some of these competitive cheerleaders are amazing athletes....far more than what most of you probably saw at your high school and college football games.

x2

I've seen the competitive cheer competitions on ESPN and those routines are pretty complex.  It's a lot of gymnastics and stunting and it's pretty impressive.  My high school tried to put in a competitive cheer team, but the insurance costs were too high.  Because of the stunting there was some serious risk of injury.  Additionally, I actually have a friend who got a partial scholarship for cheerleading to college.  Most college cheer teams compete in competitions and do more gymnastics than high school teams.  So while it's not paying for the whole thing, I'm sure her parent's didn't mind the few grand she got a year for 4 years of college. 

2008-04-01 1:05 PM

Vienna, VA
I feel like I have to chime in, even though this subject is beat to a pulp by now

As a daughter that was allowed to participate in many sporting events as a kid, I am so thankful and indebted to my parents for supporting all of my endeavors. I started off in gymnastics as a matter of fact, and I really feel like that was a great starting point for me. If anything, I was uber flexible and I could fall out of trees without breaking an arm or leg. I was on a cheer squad in 4th grade, and that was my first experience as a captain of anything. I learned a lot about responsibility, even for my age.

To make a long story short, I developed intense leadership skills and self discipline in my formative years. I know that because of my parent's support in all of my extra curricular activities I've become an independant and self confident young woman.

Be it cheerleading, gymnastics, fencing (I love that one!) swimming, or any of the other things mentioned on this post, if your kids are really interested in persuing it, it could be really healthy for everyone. I didn't know things were up to $3k a pop, but I guess that's the price you have to be willing to pay in this instance.

on a side note... just be glad she doesn't want to get in to horseback riding. Now THAT is an expensive hobby.
2008-04-01 4:56 PM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Funny you mention horseback...that was both my kids' "first interest" until last summer when my 11-year-old was thrwon from her barrel horse and ended up in the hospital via ambulance from the arena; after that, they are now both spooked of horses, and I own a barrel horse I don't need. 
2008-04-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1308203

Expert
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-01 12:46 PM

X2

edit - err..  make that X3

Edited by TexOma 2008-04-01 8:23 PM
2008-04-02 10:36 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
My daughter has been on a competitive cheerleading squad for four years now. They practice 6 hours a week and compete throughout the country. She loves it and it keeps her in phenomenal shape. Their workouts are very rigorous. As long as she enjoys it and wants to keep with it I am okay with paying the money.

I would say that some of the mothers need to take part in the workouts and step away from the buffet a little.

Don't judge the sport until you have walked in the shoes.
2008-04-02 1:42 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ
I was lurking on this thread and was curious about something and wanted to ask. I know nothing about cheerleading. Why are competitive cheerleading and regular cheerleading (if that's what it's called) separate? Why aren't all high school teams "competitive?"  I was just wondering why they are divided.

2008-04-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1311233

Champion
Butler
PirateGirl - 2008-04-02 1:42 PM I was lurking on this thread and was curious about something and wanted to ask. I know nothing about cheerleading. Why are competitive cheerleading and regular cheerleading (if that's what it's called) separate? Why aren't all high school teams "competitive?"  I was just wondering why they are divided.
I would assume they are separate because of $$.  The competative teams do more flips, throws, etc. that probably require more insurance than the standard cheerleader at a basketball game jumping around and cheering. 
2008-04-02 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1311233

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
PirateGirl - 2008-04-02 2:42 PM

I was lurking on this thread and was curious about something and wanted to ask. I know nothing about cheerleading. Why are competitive cheerleading and regular cheerleading (if that's what it's called) separate? Why aren't all high school teams "competitive?" I was just wondering why they are divided.

IMO, first off would be liability. Competitive cheerleading does a LOT more stunts than school cheerleading. School cheerleading is regulated to the point at my daughters school they can not do mounts. Secondly, competitive cheerleading is run by gyms that are owned by individuals. The more trophies and championships that gym wins, the more girls want to go there to cheer. Unfortunately, I feel many high schools treat cheerleading as an extra curricular activity and don't give it the attention it deserves.
2008-04-05 10:56 PM

Master
I say let them have fun at any cost...you can't take it with you!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Youth "Competitive Cheerleading" - Help me understand Rss Feed  

of 2