Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 3s
Overall Rank = 315/5870
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 48/347
Pre-race routine:

Typical English muffin breakfast with water and gatorade
Event warmup:

Parked about a mile from the start line and ran there. Did some stretching, used the port-o-let and found a spot up near the front to start the race. Nice that they had pace signs up so the 7 minute milers didnt get mixed in with the walkers!
Run
  • 1h 14m 3s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The first time I have run an open 10 mile race so I was not sure of how to pace myself. The 10K I ran two weeks prior left me very sore so I decided I would take it a bit slower than the 7:15 pace McMillan suggest that I run. I had a goal time of 1:15 and focused more than anything on keeping my heart rate right around my Lactate Threshold. I held this pace right at 7:30's or below for the first 5 miles, or as close as I could as going through the park sent the heart rate spiking. About mile 6 we were coming out of the park and I kicked the pace up a bit from 6 through 8. It was this point in the race where very few if any people passed me for the rest of the day. If my pacing strategy held out, mile 8 is where I should have been able to drop the hammer and start flying past people. It absolutely 100% worked! I kicked the pace from the 7:15's I was running to sub-7's for the last two miles and I was passing people left and right. Strategy worked perfectly.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have run the race a bit faster, but I feel my pacing strategy for my first 10 miler worked out very well, especially for the last 2 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, light stretching, snack down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More long runs.

Last updated: 2008-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:03 | 10 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/347
Overall: 315/5870
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back down a fairly flat stretch of road towards a city park. Once you enter the park it is a very hilly 3.3 mile loop which makes the race pretty challenging.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes