Trekman Racing
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Costume race? you know i'm in. got my hat and mask on and got my bib. #1??? sweet!
Event warmup:

ran for about half a mile, costume pants are riding a little low. that will be fun come mile #3. today was a bit chilly. as the sun warms the wind increases negating the effects. oh well. saw some friends, some really fast naked people, and one guy who was gunning for me. he says, "i wasn't even going to race this morning, but then decided why not, so, what are you going to run." i felt like this was the same converstation we had last year.
Run
  • 20m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

didn't know what to expect. had a great race here last year, but i was training for the HIM, didn't have an injury, and i wasn't in costume. still, let's just see what happens.

took the first mile "easy" but i was already breathing a little hard. the nemisis took it out speedy, but he usually does. i was able to rope him in last year when he did the same thing. first split was about 20 seconds slower than last year....hmm.

and that's about how it went. i didn't attack this thing (i said that about my run split from the sprint tri last year), but it's true. just kind of ran, didn't half a$$ it, but i didn't lay it all on the line either. of course, i did look rather silly and i was a little concerned about my knee exploding, but those are just excuses.

finished the race about the same. getting into the good kind of hurt but not loving it. the nemisis beat me by a good margin fair and square. newman!
What would you do differently?:

train more/harder before the race. have done zero speed work, i'm on no plan, so i guess i shouldn't have expected big things. still, sucks when you gain over a minute.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit and ate some bananas and granola bars. waited around for the "best costume" awards and got SCREWED! none of the 3 award winners were dressed as april fools jesters (as the race entry indicated that preference would be given). whatever, medoicore race time with nothing to show for it but a number 1 bib. pptbht, let's go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, more speed work needed.
i know this is going to be the trend this year as i have no real goal other than not to completely lose all of my conditioning. but i don't have to like it.

Event comments:

despite my negitivity, the race is actually a good time. just something to get out and start the race season again.

Last updated: 2008-03-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:30 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
mile 1 - 6:33 mile 2 - 6:44 mile 3 - 6:30
Course: park road with a couple switchbacks. nice gentle uphill for the last half mile. "keeping cool", ha, that's funny.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-29 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: April Fool's 5K

2008-03-30 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1301693

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Subject: RE: April Fool's 5K
great time, especially for this point in the season. 
2008-03-30 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Great race report!  LOL.  You definately were dressed like a fool, and it's not even April yet...  Don't worry about the nemesis (I love the "Newman!" reference).  He probably isn't training for a HIM, so next year you can throw that up in his face and then beat him, maybe even wearing another silly costume, just to add insult to his injury.    You are doing great working toward your goal, keep up the hard work!
2008-03-31 8:55 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You were ROBBED!!!!

2008-03-31 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Give me the RD's phone number, I'm filing a complaint about the costume thing!!  Nice job out there, fool .
2008-04-01 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

ah man, I was expecting something like "my nemsis was 20 seconds ahead of me a we were appraoching the end, but then he tripped over a small child 70 feet from the finish line and smashed his face into a discarded hot dog on the ground and didn't get up, so I beat him"

still, sounds like an pretty fun time. I'd say pulling off 6:35s on an injury is damn good!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » April Fool's 5K Rss Feed