General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
75F / 24C
Total Time = 2h 12m 56s
Overall Rank = 15/616
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 10/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up ate a bowl of cereal and a banana. Then just went around the house getting what I need, double checking to make sure I had everything I needed. Then ate a bit more, used the restroom and headed for Galveston.
Event warmup:

Swam a quick 50 yards just to make sure everything felt good.
Swim
  • 17m 30s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I still live up to my old self of just not being able to transfer well to open water. This is in salt water, though on the other side of the island so no real waves. Though we did get some random rouge waves in sets of 3, but they weren't big.. just made me feel worse.

The start, wasn't too good, I was kinda off too the side but it seemed I was instantly in the middle after the start. So that didn't help much. Then we rounded the first bouy and it was pretty clear after that. I gave up a little bit of time by swimming a bit on the far side of things, but I just wasn't feeling great, not sure why. I hadn't taken in any water, or hardly any at all. I guess it could of been sea sickness, but I've never had that before in swims, and this was a pretty calm swim.

So whatever.. I kinda just fell into my let's get this done and on to the next thing groove. Which happens to be a fairly slow pace. I thought I was going to come in at like 20min by the way I felt, so I was actually a bit happy to see 17:15 when I hit land.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim harder and ignore how my gut feels.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

So you get out of the water and you're 200m or so from transition and they have a little section for wetsuit strippers on the way to transition. So I get mine down to my waist while I'm running towards them. Then when I get there I pick two cute girls and say 'strip me down', they giggle, and 1 second later I'm running back towards transition, feeling a bit better. I may suck at swimming but I can atleast make high school girls giggle. I then get to my stuff and I opted not to have shoes already clipped on so tossed my shoes on and took off. Good transition, the biggest thing here is running faster.

Run Faster.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 41s
  • 28 miles
  • 23.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Fairly calm winds for what has been around here lately.. so 10-13mph is like a calm day now.

I had a good bike, though I'm not sure how.. I never had any sort of rhythm. I'd go 22 for 5min then go 24 for 5min and feel the same, in the same directions, it was odd. Besides the two guys that passed me in the first two miles I never got passed and probably rode more on the left hand side than on the right. Due to the fact that there were also HIM people on their 2nd loop and I was the 4th wave in the qtr. Drank everything I had on me and took 1 gel. Guess that's it, like I told a teammate when he asked a question about something from the bike leg. I said I have no idea, I was just riding.

If I could of been a bit more steady, I think that would of helped.

Also while 404s are nice I think a rear disc would of been nicer, and while I'm at it a aero helmet. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

So I go into transition I'm looking for a 35-40 second time here. I get behind a guy who goes down my row too and apparently he needs to rest because he wasn't moving too fast. I say, not too rudely, gotta move faster than this!. Well he just turned to rack his bike so I went by him. Arrived at my spot put my bike on, it was a bit crooked but OK, but then slipped while I was putting shoes on so I had to re-rack it. Then took off for the run and hoping for no cramps.

Not get behind slow poke and rack bike neatly.
Run
  • 39m 53s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 06m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, now this was FUN, even if the Navy Boys kicked my butt. so I head out of transition with three guys from the Navy Collegiate Tri Team all in my age group. I thought to my self, ok I got these chumps, the run is my stomping grounds. I don't remember saying it out loud, but they must of heard because at that moment one lifted the pace. We all went to follow, one of their guys dropped off and it was 3 of us. Two minutes later the other navy guy lets him go and so do I, as there was no way I could keep contact with him for 6 more miles. So those next 6 miles were of me staring at this Navy guys butt from 10m back. I pulled my self back up to him twice hoping to keep with him, each time he'd pull ahead again.

I was planning a final move at the 6mile mark, but miles 3-5.5 my left quads started to cramp. So I was thinking, crap after trailing this guy by 10-15m for the entire run I'm going to have to let him drop me. I ended up hanging tough and they went away. The 6 mile marker came and I lifted my pace (I actual felt pretty good) I was going to catch this guy, I said to my self. Once again.. he must of heard me because before I even snuck up on him, he did exactly what I did. So over the next half mile we stayed the same distance apart all the while I was lifting the pace.

Our run times were 3 seconds different. :\

Maybe try a move early on and gamble it a bit, besides that I ran solid.

9th in my age group for the run.. THAT just doesn't happen.. lol my age group was so stacked. ;p
Post race
Warm down:

None, I hurt like heck and I wasn't doing anything like running.

Talked to some of the Navy Triathletes and my fellow teammates.

On a side Note if you do a race and you're 20-24 and you see the Navy Collegiate Team at the race, you're screwed. In any other age group I would of been first or 2nd. In my age group I was 10th. Though gotta give props to them, they were freaking fast.. their top guy finished in 1:59 on a Qtr.. that's pretty damn good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Open Water.

Event comments:

I don't think you find better put on races than this, this is top of the line and I expect this race to grow and grow. Already getting top notch pros in it's 2nd year.

Last updated: 2008-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:30 | 1056 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 105/616
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleevless Zoot suit
Course: Straight out then a left turn at the first marker. Then we just go straight for about 700m then turn back towards land where the swim finish was. (point to point)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:41 | 28 miles | 23.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/33
Overall: 25/616
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: The course is a quick trip out to the seawall(had to climb 10ft to get on it, oh no!) then just go along the sea for the next 12 miles, turn around and come back. Two very minor hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:53 | 06.5 miles | 06m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/33
Overall: 11/616
Course: Went all through moody gardens, that's about all I can say. It turned too much, went by too many things to really remember any details.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2008-03-30 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1303142

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Nice job out there, even if things were a little rough up until the run (the swim, not having much of a rhythm on the bike, which is frustrating, even when you are still racing fast).

Sorry to hear about the swim not going great. Maybe just try to do more OWS. Also, apparently, that salt water can get to you through your skin...isn't that why Macca puts on all that sunscreen before the swim? It helps prevent the absorption of the salt into your body? Salt water always makes me queesy, and I've gotten "seasick" in rough lake swims, so I know where you're coming from. Good job on redeeming yourself after that swim.

Nice job on the run too. You just had a lot of fast boys come out to play today and there was nothing you could do about it. Like they say, it all depends on who shows up on race day....

Nice work !

2008-03-30 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Man, you definitely went blazing fast.. can't help it that the Navy team showed up.  Great race, even if the AG ranking doesn't seem on par! 

It's funny, before you even posted anything, my boyfriend and I saw the results and had the same reaction... "wow, what the hell happened with the M20-24 age group?!?"  And we both commented on how pissed we'd be if we were "that guy from Houston who got 10th with a time good enough to place top 2 in any other AG."  Looks like they were on their Spring Break training trip.  But there's still no denying that you had a great race!!

2008-03-30 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL

Killer bike split!!

Great job on the race.  Sorry to hear about the tough swim.  It's good that you were able to tough it out at the end of the run, I need to take some lessons from you on that!

2008-03-30 8:44 PM

User image

Houston, TX
man you are all sorts of FAST!  it was great seeing you, especially sporting your polkadots.  you and the rest of your team really represented well today.  congratulations!
2008-03-30 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job Stephen, man you rocked it...leave it to the Navy to get in the way! Seriously, great job! Glad I got to meet you in person! Keep training and racing cause you ROCK!

2008-03-30 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1303472

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

tag - 2008-03-30 8:44 PM man you are all sorts of FAST! it was great seeing you, especially sporting your polkadots. you and the rest of your team really represented well today. congratulations!

x2. You are fast. I'm not worthy! But, I'm also old ;-

2008-03-31 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone, I know I may complain about the Navy boys.. but I really had a blast out there yesterday.
2008-03-31 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Hey those Navy guys have ESP,, they could hear what you were thinking.. It doesn't take away from the fact that you really did have a great race
2008-03-31 11:52 PM

Master
Houston
Great effort out there!!
2008-04-01 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Baton Rouge
That is one super fast bike my man!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed