General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 36s
Overall Rank = 140/883
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 16/59
Swim
  • 09m 35s
  • 483 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The day turned out pretty nice, not at all like the stormy weather some people were talking about. I didn’t really warm-up. I kept changing my mind as to doing a warm-up swim or run. In the end I didn’t do either. I guess I was too nervous. I have officially gotten over my hesitation with swimsuits. They are awesome and I’ll always wear one when I can. It was great that when I ran out of breath I could simply flip on my back and do the back-stroke. I did this for most of the last third of the swim and was still able to keep in position. I really need to try and get more open swim in. It is so different from the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get more open water swim training. I think I am starting out too fast because after the half-way-point I had difficulty breathing. I did most of the last halg doing the back-stroke. I also needd to make sure I dont skip on the warm-up
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Having a stripper was good they had the suit off in less than 10 seconds. The rest transition was slow though. I don’t recall having a big problem with anything specific. I was just slow here. This would be a spot where I can make a significant improvement pretty easily by getting some proper instruction. I missed the transition seminar and really paid for it here.

no sure yet. I need to take a T1 class so I can learn to be more efficent.
Bike
  • 36m 28s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

My first race with a true Tri-bike. I had a blast here. There wasn’t as much wind as there could have been. It was cool passing bike after bike. I even managed to pass a couple of tri-bikes. I only was passed twice. My biggest issue was trying to get my energy gel down. I had decided to mix a couple of them in my water and drink in continuously. I drank as much as I could but I couldn’t get much down before starting to feel bloated. During the last part I hit some bumps and the yellow net thing on my aero-bottle flew out. I got most of my water thrown in my face after that. (no one turned it in so I hope I can get another one) I think next I’ll try eating those Cliff Bar Shot Blocks instead and just keep plain water in my bottle. Maybe it will be easier that way.

Considering I have yet to buy clip-in shoes/petals I did really well.

Clip-in petals are a MUST.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

During the last 250 meter or so I got grouped in with about 5-6 other bikes I didn’t know if I could pass here. I just followed them in and I think I may have lost a few seconds there. Other than that this transition was pretty uneventful.

Not sure.
Run
  • 25m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt very wobbly coming out of transition. I don’t know if this was because I pushed myself too hard on the bike or from not getting my energy drink down. But I wasn’t able to get a good stride going until 1.5-2 miles into the run. After that I felt pretty good. I used pretty much everything I had. Down the stretch I didn’t have much left for a finish burst. Got passed by the girl winner about 250 meters before the finish, which was kind of cool.

Not sure. As compared to the other athletes this was my worst event, but my time was pretty good for me. I think more training and more speed training would help. I nee to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching at the fence, talking to other athletes and having a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bad T1, I faded in the run, by lack of training or just running out of energy I'm not sure

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:35 | 483 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/59
Overall: 107/883
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:28 | 12.5 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/59
Overall: 90/883
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:52 | 03 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/59
Overall: 59/883
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2008-03-30 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1303435

Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Solid performance - great race!
2008-03-30 8:37 PM

User image

Houston, TX
great job!  i don't think i got a chance to meet you and i think we must have been in the same age group unless there was another with 59 people besides the men 40-44.
2008-03-30 9:50 PM

Master
Houston
Great job!! See around the races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed