United States
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Hustle my butt to get there in time. A pushy 2-year-old found his way into my bed sometime over night and kicked the crap out of my head for several hours. So... did not sleep well at all.

did not find parking as close as I hoped (because I was not very organized beforehand) so I ended up about six blocks away about 15 minutes before the race started.

Forgot my watch and my knee brace.
Event warmup:

Quick jog from my car to the start line. I ran up Main street to the starting line, but the finish line chute was fenced off and there was no access to the start line from Main. So, I had to run around the entire block to come in from another street. I made it to the start line at 9:55 -- just enough time to hit the port-o-let and stretch a tiny bit.

This was totally my own fault for being disorganized and rushed.
Run
  • 1h 23m 46s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This is only my second race of this distance.. same race two years in a row. Last year I felt better trained, but really struggled the last three miles.

THis year I felt way undertrained and discombobulated... but the run felt great to me. I started and ended at about the same pace (my 5k, 10k and 15k splits are all pretty similar). My knees started bothering me a bit in the last mile... but I had a little bit left to pick up the pace for the last 1/2 mile and finish strong.

Even though I didn't really train for this distance, my unspoken goal was to beat last year's time.. at least by a couple of minutes. I had forgotten my watch but I felt like I had a strong run this year...and, this made me laugh.... my time this year was 1:30 slower than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Train more for the distance. Get there with more time to get focused. Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drizzling rain started in the last couple of miles, so once I stopped running, I got cold fast. I waited in line for a couple of hot dogs (the goetta line was too long) and walked back to my car.

Last night, my wife gave me a leg massage... which i desperately needed. It was awwwesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Poor sleep the night before.

Event comments:

Great race for Cincinnati. Just the right distance for me.
Awesome expo the day before. 3 pairs of kids NB shoes for $10 apiece. New Mizunos for me ($40) and Nike runners for my wife ($40).

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:46 | 9.32 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly out and back along the river. Challenging course... with the cruelist hill at the midpoint and two long, steady climbs in the last two miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes