Australia
USM Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 50s
Overall Rank = 506/1653
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 67/164
Pre-race routine:

got up at 430am,had some oatmeal and jam on toast,sipped water.prepared water bottles and endura.
walked down to transition,pumped up tyres,fitted water bottles and gels.tied up 1 cycleshoe to bike frame and got shoes,towel and racebelt ready.
Event warmup:

walked to swim start about a 1km.
10min before wave start ran up and down beach to warm up and some stretching.
Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was really nervous before the start and thought I'd be lucky to swim the whole way just by looking at how far it was which was longer than what i had worked out.
anyway took off and paced myself til about 1/2 way then knew i was going ok and increased pace and finished strongly.
the last 300m coming into the beach was a hard slog as a rip was pushing us back out and i could see by the bottom that i wasnt getting anywhere.put in a last big effort and caught a wave in part of the way
What would you do differently?:

go a little bit harder earlier on next time
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

ran about 200m into transition carefully so as not to trip or slip over on the by now wet road.
fairly quick t1 with sunnies and helmet on and ran out with bike.
got feet into shoes without too much trouble.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 24s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.83 km/hr
Comments:

headed out on course and took 1 gel after about 3km on a slight downhill to get some carbs in after the swim and top up my glycogen.
after that i picked up the pace and kept it nice n steady and continually sipped water and endura every 5-10min.
after the 20km turnaround i took in 1/2 a gel.(didnt feel like a whole 1)
now this is where it gets interesting.
after i had come off the highway with 3km to go 2 lanes merged into 1 and as i was going in the left lane i noticed a slower rider on the far right hand side of the right lane.before i could brake i had already came level with the rider and thought shit do i have to slow down to go back around them on the right.shouldnt they be on the LHS anyway.
i looked back and saw other riders coming and if i went right i wouldve ran into them so kept going on the left side.
next thing i know a tech officer on a motorbike comes up and says 'you cant do that,you've got to go the penalty box '
i say 'that rider shouldnt be on the far right but on the LHS so i can pass on the right'
he says'yeah i know but everyone else has to pass her on the right so i cant let you off'
i was so pissed off that this slow rider had just ruined my great ride that for the next 3km so i wasnt focused and just cruised along looking for a penalty box.i took the last 1/2 of my gel and sipped some water.
little did i know i had already gone past the last one about a km back so kept asking officials along the way 'wheres the next penalty box?'
NONE could tell me so i rode into transition and changed into my running gear and then grabbed an official.
i explained the story and that i needed to do a 3min penalty.he said i shouldve gone to the last penalty box but i said i got the penalty after the box.by the time he started timing 3min it was more like 5min.i got his name and made him write my number down just in case so i didnt get a DNQ.
So although my ride time says 1:15:24 my bike computer says 1:09 which means i was stuffing around for about 5min.
finally took off on the run

NEVER EVER PASS ON THE LEFT even if i have to ride on the wrong side of the road
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

because of the penalty crap t2 was a mess.
Run
  • 47m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 47s  min/km
Comments:

the only good thing about getting the penalty was that i had freshed up after the ride and took off fairly quickly.
the 1st lap i did have some shin pain but by the 2nd i was running well.
took another 1/2 gel at start of 2nd lap.
kept encouraging other redcliffe tri club members i saw along the way and got to say hello to bter 'cawhite69' on my final leg home.
finished strongly

same as swim,just go a little bit harder earlier in the run.
Post race
Warm down:

water and watermelon.couldnt find any powerade or endura to drink.
soon after headed into the surf with marty to cool down.felt good in the water.
after that went up to our unit,showered and had a banana,some powerade and creamed rice.
headed back to where the tri tent was and had a BBQ and watched the elite ITU competitors

Event comments:

overall i had an awesome time and will improve off season and come back and go quicker again.
best moment was getting aussie champ "Brad Kahlefelt" to sign my cap and get a photo with him.

Last updated: 2008-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/164
Overall: 0/1653
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: slightly m shaped ocean swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:24 | 40 kms | 31.83 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: out 20km and back same way
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:56 | 10 kms | 04m 47s  min/km
Performance:
Course: 2 x 5km laps with a good sized hill at the start and finish of each lap
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-03-31 7:02 AM

User image

Brisbane, Queensland
Subject: Mooloolaba Tri

2008-03-31 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1304157

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Mooloolaba Tri

I knew you would do well mate, congratulations!!

I'm glad you didn't let that petty penalty get to you and ruin your race. It just means next year you have at lease 5 minutes that you know you can easily make up (unless of course you get another penalty )

PS. did somebody say photo??

2008-04-01 4:09 AM

User image

awesome race SS, I said you would make the transition to Olympic easy, and you've gone one better and blown away your goal time, especially the run. Look out next year.
2008-04-03 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

FANTASTIC race SS!  Too bad about that penalty!  Look you were just REALLY unlucky that's all.  She shouldn't have been there and that's that.  It's just unfortunete that she was.  (That's why I become a superb!tch on the ride course... I almost go hoarse telling people to stick left or that I'm passing them on the right!)

Funny how refreshed you were after your penalty box.   

Good work getting brad's autograph!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooloolaba Tri Rss Feed