SETUP INC
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 55s
Overall Rank = 145/159
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00 a.m. Already had the transition bag packed and bike ready to go. Ralph got up with me and helped get everything in the van and ready to go. I ate some peanut butter toast and a banana on the way! Wasn't quite nervous yet, so that was good....nerves didn't kick in until just before the swim. LOL Got to the race at 7:10, went and set up transition, chatted with BT/QCTC'ers, went and got my racing chip and did the body marking. I thought, what are we going to do for an hour and a half before the swim time, but it really did go by pretty fast. Ate some clif bloks about 15 min before swim time.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. When my number was called, got into the warm up lane and swam maybe 25-50 yards to get used to the water temp. Mostly, talked to my hubby, GyGy and Rusty before the race. Ralph and I went outside and cheered on some of the early race starters!
Swim
  • 13m 8s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall swim was good. I started out good, remembered to breathe and keep my pace. I did pass a couple of people and was passed by a few people as well. I did slow up at a couple of turns to let some people pass me. I could hear the hubby yelling and cheering for me, which was huge motivation. About half way through I found myself in a spot to where there was no one in front or behind me, so I could just swim without worry. That was nice. Before I knew it, I was at the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I forgot to put spit inside my googles, so they fogged up by the end of the 1st lap. That was a little weird, but no time to stop and fix it. Oh well. I do need to train more, but the swim was good for my current fitness level.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

T1 was good, but a litte slow. As soon as I hit outside my first thought was sh*t it's cold and the sh*t it's starting to rain! LOL I am glad I took the extra time to throw on a long sleeve shirt and bike jersey. I had my TA laid out well, got my shoes on, shirts, then helmet and gloves.

Nothing really, took extra time to put on extra layers, which definitely paid off.
Bike
  • 58m 37s
  • 13 miles
  • 13.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition, there was my hubby cheering me on, and it was great to see him. So, GyGy and I decided to do the bike course together, which was a fantastic idea to me. She led so we could ride at the speed she was comfortable with, which ended up being the perfect pace for me as well. So, we are going along and it starts raining a bit, and then slows up, so we are thinking "whew, ok, maybe it will let up". NOT after that the sky opened up and just started dumping rain. And then I started hearing "dink, dink, dink" on my helmet. I was like, WTF, hail, yes hail. Luckily, it only lasted a few minutes. GyGy and I just started laughing and just having a good time. I mean, what else could you do? I just started thinking, "good time, good times". LOL The only complaint I had were the cars and nothing could be done. So many of them were honking, being rude and speeding. Oh well. By the time we were done with the bike, I was completely soaked from head to toe, puddles in my shoes, etc. Fun stuff. :)

Not much you can do differently in those cirumstances. I ride a hybrid, so can't go to fast anyway. Again, I do need to train more, but feel like I did well for my current fitness level.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

T2 was good. Forgot I have to back my bike up under the rack, so went to the wrong side of the bike rack, oh well. I ride with toe clips, so didn't have to change shoes. I took off my helment, bike jersey and gloves, waited for a second for GyGy and took off.

Go to the right side of the bike rack. :)
Run
  • 37m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Over the river and through the woods to the finish line we go! LOL Again, just had to keep a smile on my face because as we came out of transition, there was hubby and keith cheering us on! GyGy is a much stronger runner than me, so told her to go ahead. I actaully did much better on the run than I anticipated. I only walked on the uphills and some through the mud. The run was ok until I got to the mud on the back end. I treaded very carefully because I didn't want to end up in the mud. When there was about .5 miles left, there was my wonderful hubby shooting my picture! LOL So then kept following the course and then bam, there he was again! I was like "no fair!" how did you get there so fast? LOL Ralph, Keith and GyGy cheered me on the finish and it was great to cross the finish line.

Not much. Need to train more, obviously, but did great for me. :)
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the finish line, got huge hug, kiss and congrats from the hubby, the best prize of all! :) Walked around a bit, chatted with BT/QCTC'ers who had already finished and shared weather/race stories. After a few minutes, really started to get cold. Waited for Rusty and cheered him to the finish line. Then, went to clean up transition and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I definitely need to train more for Latta and Lake Norman. I think I would have went a bit faster if the weather hadn't been what it was.

Event comments:

Volunteers stayed on the bike course during the rain. Post race activities weren't great, but it was pouring rain. This was probably the most fun I have had during a race, even though the weather conditions were horrible.

Last updated: 2008-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:08 | 500 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 137/159
Performance: Good
Had my HR montior on, but didn't really pay attention to it.
Suit: swimsuit and tri shorts
Course: Pool swim, 20 lengths (10 laps)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:37 | 13 miles | 13.31 mile/hr
Overall: 144/159
Again, I had on my HR monitor, but didn't really look at it.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling. But, wasn't able to get speed on the downhills due to the wind.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:06 | 03.11 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 143/159
Course: The space isn't big enough to describe the course. LOL There were sidewalks, grass, gravel, hills, asphalt, mud, etc, etc.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-31 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Subject: MAP Triathlon

2008-03-31 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1304644

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: MAP Triathlon
Great job Dia....you looked like you were having fun and that's what really matters
2008-03-31 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
It was the stuff of memories, what more can I say?  Besides..."We rock!" 
2008-03-31 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

I am glad you and GyGy stuck with each other - I think that made it all the more fun and bearable when the weather turned for the worst...nothin like sharing the craziness of the situation with a good friend ...myself....I was out on the bike course pretty much to myself the whole time..I passed several folks on the 1st half of the course and time I hit the mid-way mark it was just me myself and I ...and of course the of the day - Mother Nature!!!  LOL...I laughed in her face and she put me on the ground !!  Guess that's what I get for bad mouthin her...  You did great!  and it was soo awesome to see you and GyGy at the finish line when I got there.....way to go Dia!!.

Rusty

2008-03-31 6:24 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Dia, wow, what conditions, holy cow!! You seemed to have taken it in stride, and I'm glad you had a friend to do it side by side with!! Way to push through the elements (literally) and take down your first tri of the year! Think how great the conditions for the rest of year will be!!
2008-03-31 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great job, Dia!  You did awesome! I really felt for all you guys on the bike course when the skies opened up.  I'm glad you and Gygy were able to share the pain and misery of the monsoon.  Congratulations!  Let's do it again in June! (Well, not the hail and rain part)

2008-03-31 7:37 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Yay, Dia! You still had fun even with the icky weather! Congratulations!

2008-03-31 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
great job dia, it was a blast getting to watch you and gygy finish this race. way to tough ou the weather
2008-04-01 4:02 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Great job...I have to agree that it would have been a faster race if the weather had been good. Did you get the HAIL?
Anyway...you did great...
2008-04-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1308836

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Great job !

Congrats !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MAP Triathlon Rss Feed