of 2

2008-04-01 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1309130

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: First Time Transitions
davidb - 2008-04-01 3:51 PM

For the first Tri, don't worry about the fancy mounts/dismounts.  They take practice, are risky (can fall),

Ooh...I did, I did! (And it was even my second tri.)

As with all things...practice, practice, practice...

2008-04-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1306026

User image

Regular
Ontario
I'll add a question here. For the mount and dismount lines, is the idea...

-Keep running as you cross the mounting line and hop on on the fly

-slow and hop off to one side a few (dozen?) meters short of the dismount line and hit the ground right before it?
2008-04-01 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1309431

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Invigilator - 2008-04-01 6:10 PM I'll add a question here. For the mount and dismount lines, is the idea... -Keep running as you cross the mounting line and hop on on the fly -slow and hop off to one side a few (dozen?) meters short of the dismount line and hit the ground right before it?

That's about it.  You want to be on the bike as much as possible as it's quicker than running with the bike, but you CANNOT be on the bike on the wrong side of the line.

2008-04-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1309090

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
kimmax - 2008-04-01 3:33 PM

Oye!  I just read this and can't believe all the details you need to know!!   My stomach is in knots just thinking about it all.  I've just started training for my first race (quickly becoming addicted!) but I can't even decide between doing a "Give-it-a-Try" tri or a real one!!  I have started a 20 week plan and based on my current activity level I'm already at the "Month 3" mark so maybe I should just try a real tri.  It's all *very* intimidating in addition to being *very* exciting!!

Good information... especially the videos - I was curious about the whole transition thing too. 

Thanks

It can be very complicated, especially if you're really trying to be fast, and there are plenty of ways to make it more complicated and intimidating, but conceptually it's really simple:

• Think about what you'll be wearing and have with you entering the transition. 
  • Think about what you'll be wearing and have with you leaving the transition.
  • Think about what you'll have to do to get from the first condition to the second. 

That's your transition.  Spend some time thinking through it and walking through it.  That's your transition training.

Good very basic article from another site:  http://www.trinewbies.com/Article2.asp?ArticleID=38

2008-04-02 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1309627

User image

Regular
Ontario
tjh - 2008-04-01 10:23 PM

Invigilator - 2008-04-01 6:10 PM I'll add a question here. For the mount and dismount lines, is the idea... -Keep running as you cross the mounting line and hop on on the fly -slow and hop off to one side a few (dozen?) meters short of the dismount line and hit the ground right before it?

That's about it.  You want to be on the bike as much as possible as it's quicker than running with the bike, but you CANNOT be on the bike on the wrong side of the line.

In my one race last year it was all very new to me and I had absolutely no reference points. I did both lines at a dead stop (not the finish line though )
2008-04-02 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1307747

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Aikidoman - 2008-04-01 9:36 AM
jacasa - 2008-04-01 7:41 AM
vortmax - 2008-04-01 10:30 AM

the biggest time saver is the 'flying dismount' where you are out of your shoes before hitting the dismount line. This only works really well with tri shoes (velcro that open outward), but can be done with normal shoes. I suggest you practice first on the trainer, then on an isolated road before trying it at a race. You really need to know how long it will take to get your feet so you can time it coming into transition.

I personally wouldn't worry about speed laces for now. If your shoes are loose enough to slip your foot in, tieing will cost you a whole 5 seconds. If you are at the point where 5 seconds is significant, call your sponsor and tell them to buy you some Zoot shoes.

I was more curious than anything. Believe me, I plan on being very deliberate in the transition area for my first tri in a couple of weeks. I am a long way from speed laces!

In my opinion, I would just get them anyway.  You can get a pair of bungee type laces that work great for 5 bucks.  Even more importantly for me:  As well as being a couple seconds faster, I find them more comfortable, they don't need adjustment after you have them set up, and they can't come untied.

It's a little insurance too.  It may only save you 10 seconds in T2, but how much time could you also lose if you have to stop on the course to re-tie then once or twice if they are too tight/loose or if the get untied?

Whenever I buy a new pair of shoes, I always buy a pair of matching bungee laces and swap them out before my first run.  I wear them all the time.  If they had them for my dress shoes, I might even dork out and put them on!  (just kidding about the dress shoes!)

x2 - I have speed laces in all my shoes, even my bike shoes so I only have to velcro 1 strap.  I never have to adjust my laces in training or races.  I think it would take me forever to tie my shoes in a race.

I wear sox on the bike and run.  I have them rolled up beforehand so when my feet are wet they just roll on.

I've only done sprints so far and have just worn spandex shorts and top under my wetsuit.  No gloves on the bike.  I keep my racebelt in my hat so I don't forget it on the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Time Transitions Rss Feed  

of 2