General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 07m 59s
Overall Rank = 69/560
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/92
Pre-race routine:

woke up around 5:30 AM and ate a english muffin with pb&j. Already had gear ready and snuck out the door without waking up the whole crew. Waited on Payne in the hallway to pump up his tires, then headed out to transition. Transition was a good set up, everyone was right by each other. After setting up, stood around and observed how everyone handles there nerves (me included). I wasn't as nervous about the swim as in past events, just nervous about the whole distance and if my plan would hold up.
Event warmup:

no real warm up to speak of besides walking down to the pier and putting on wetsuits. Watched the first wave go then jumped in.
Swim
  • 39m 1s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim started out good. I felt comfortable and the wetsuit makes the swim seem so much easier. The sighting was difficult for me because of the overcast conditions and my goggles are shaded blue (supposed to be for low light) and they didn't help much. Other than that, I felt really good until about the midway point. My left shoulder started aching, I guess from the suit, and I found myself wandering all over the course. At one point I was pretty far of track and had to stop point myself in the right direction and get back on track. I hit the final buoy yo turn home and used the big paddle boat to guide me in. Prerace they talked about the oyster beds, so I swam in further than needed and finally stood up when my hand hit the sand. Stood up, ran out to the wetsuit strippers (greatness) and heard Robin yell my name.
What would you do differently?:

Get a different color lens in the goggles for low light. Maybe should have swam further in the full wetsuit to feel the pull on my shoulders. for the most part I was please with the swim, I just need to work on sighting and open water technique.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

got into t1 and saw hogan running down our rack toward his bike, then heard Tom Greggor (Paynes buddy from Houston who started in the first wave) say "Murphy, you want a bite of clif bar". He was standing there smiling (he trained for this probably a total of 1 hour), made me laugh. Anyway Hogan took off and I was putting my helmut on, stuffed GU's in my pocket and ran out with my bike. Jumped on right at the line and took off.

nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.73 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was the best part of this race and it's usually the part I like the best. My plan was to use the first leg (14 miles) as a recovery period to get my HR down, drink and eat, and settle in to see how I would feel. I caught up with Hogan at about mile 2 and paced off him for the until the first turn around. First 14 miles took 39:05 min, 21.5 MPH, AVG watts 234, AVG HR was 155. At the turn I decided to push it a little and see how I responded. I passed Hogan and gave him a smile because I knew it was on when I went past. Next 14 miles heading back took 38:40, 21.7 MPH, AVG watts 224, AVG HR 154 , I thought it would be into a head wind, but I didn't really notice it much. I felt as though I pushed harder, but my stats tell a different story. I did go a little faster though. 3rd 14 mile stretch took 38:45, 21.7 MPH, AVG watts 228, AVG HR 157. I passed Patrick Valentz at the beginning of this stretch and scared the crap out of him as I rode by. There were a lot of people on the course at this point and there was a lot of passing. I made it to the final turn around, felt good, my HR had stayed under control so I decided to go hard until about 2 miles out. Final 14 took 38:20, 22 MPH, AVG watts 237, AVG HR 157. I felt like I had kept the bike under control and was ready to get off and hit the run.

I might should have pushed the middle stretch a little harder, but in the end I was happy with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Ran into T2 and couldn't get my bike on the rack at first, once I did, sat down and rolled my socks on and slipped on my shoes. Stuffed 4 GU's in my pocket, put my hat on and slid my race belt up. Ran out feeling pretty good and hit the run course.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 50m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was interesting. I started the run trying to run slow and see how my HR would come down. Goal was to get it under 160, but that wasn't going to happen. I saw Robin and the kids right at the start and that was cool. I felt like I was running slow and quite a few people passed me, I was thinking I was about 8:30 pace, turns out I was at 8:04, so I tried to run the next slower, 7:49, slower on the next, 7:38, then 8:04. My HR hadn't really moved much, but on mile 5 my pace slowed. My HR started climbing and I was 8:40ish, I pretty much leveled off at this pace and HR. I saw hogan at mile 2, then valentz, followed by payne, everyone looked pretty good. I was wondering how they felt and whether they would catch me or not. About mile 6, I saw Robin and Hogan crew, and I was starting to feel the tiredness. I took a GU about every 4 miles and drank at every water station. The last 3 miles were tough and the final mile I just gutted it out to get done. Crossed the finish line and my legs were cramping like crazy. Went and hugged Robin and the kids and headed to the med tent to get gatorade.

Get in better shape.
Post race
Warm down:

Legs were done. Cramping and standing around were not mixing well. I had to wander around to keep them from cramping. Finally started to feel better. Went to the tent and got pizza a drinks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unknown about this race distance.

Event comments:

Overall the race and the weekend were great.

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:01 | 1931 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/92
Overall: 150/560
Performance: Good
Wore my Polar during the swim and AVG HR was 164, MAX 178.
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Swim course is a trapezoid shape with the longest stretch being the outer length parallel to the shore line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:34:39 | 56 miles | 21.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/92
Overall: 50/560
Average HR 156, MAX 168, AVG watts 226, Normalized Power 231.
Wind: Some
Course: The course is flat and its an out and back double loop 14 miles turn to turn. Road is pretty good except for the stretch taking you from the transition to the sea wall.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:37 | 13.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/92
Overall: 126/560
Lap 1 - 8:04 - AVG HR 164 Lap 2 - 7:49 - AVG HR 165 Lap 3 - 7:39 - AVG HR 165 Lap 4 - 8:04 - AVG HR 167 Lap 5 - 8:47 - AVG HR 168 Lap 6 - 8:40 - AVG HR 169 Lap 7 - 8:43 - AVG HR 167 Lap 8 - 8:42 - AVG HR 168 Lap 9 - 8:50 - AVG HR 170 Lap 10 - 8:46 - AVG HR 171 Lap 11 - 9:01 - AVG HR 172 Lap 12 - 8:53 - AVG HR 172 Lap 13 - 7:49 - AVG HR 174
Course: Felt like we were running in through a maze. The course is a double loop and has some interesting surfaces.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-31 10:32 PM

User image

Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-04-01 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1306863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

great job SPaLot! well done on your first 70.3!!  you looked great out there...when's the next one? 

2008-04-01 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1307437

User image

Thanks Jen.  Longhorn, you in?
2008-04-01 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1308096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
effing wedding in rochester that weekend or YES, i'd be in. so pissed. trying to find another to do before then though..think i can get the eol crew to do another between now and longhorn?? 
2008-04-01 5:56 PM

User image

Dallas, Texas
Nice job Murphy.  Great race report as well.  I hope to be HALF the man you are some day!  Congrats on a job well done...you should be damn proud of yourself!
2008-04-01 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Fantastic race, Todd!  Awesome time, especially for your first HIM!  Wish I'd known who you were out there, b/c it looks like we were starting the run right about the same time.  (I was in a green/black Javelin outfit)

I have cramping issues too.  My advice?  Mix some Gatorade with the water at aid stations, and after the race, head straight to the massage tent and get your name on the list.  Oh, and don't sit down.  My worst have been when I tried to get back up after sitting down.  Just keep walking and moving the legs for a bit.

See you at Longhorn.

2008-04-01 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Baton Rouge
Nice job!
2008-04-02 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
What a great race!  You kicked it on the bike and your run was awesome!  I liked how you picked it up to a 7 something for the last mile! Good job on nutrition too.  Same plan for Longhorn or you going to switch it up a bit?  I think we are in - cheers to "quadzilla"!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed