General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REPULSED BY FOOD 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-13 2:09 PM

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Subject: REPULSED BY FOOD 2
So the dilemma is lessened. I am eating and the Dr. says based on the info I told him I am simply eating psychological. I am training hard and the aversion to food is a mind game. Yes, an eating disorder too- but not in the sense of bulimia or aneroxia. I am eating organic, vegetarian, non fattening foods. he said the problem could get worse and he wants to monitor me to ensure I do not lose weight drastically. He said that I am healthy, and there are no signs of an eating disorder just an obsession with working out-

I told him "you would be obsessed too if you had to swim, bike, run, weight lift, plyometrics, and stretch two times a day for seven days a week" he didn't laugh. He thought I was obsessive compulsive and was trying to lose weight. BLAH BLAH- not a triathlete so he doesn't understand- He should be in the gym- Sorry the angst came out.

Regardless my weight is now being monitored along with body composition. I am weighed weekly and Body comp every three months. Cool- I get a personal fitness instructor at no cost hee hee haaha.

So my repulsion is that I am obsessed with the working out and do not want to eat fat foods because of the work out regimen. NO DISORDER. I am happy and feel better. Thank you to those who replied and cared for me.

Makes sense and I am glad I got it looked at as per members advice. OOOOOrrraaaahhhh. I am NORMAL- well as normal as a triathlete with excruciating training regimens upon them.

GO TRIATHLETES!!!

2004-02-13 5:09 PM
in reply to: #7220

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: REPULSED BY FOOD 2
thanx for seeing your doctor. You did the right thing.

2004-02-14 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Just don't fall into the trap of beliving that your evulsion is ONLY psychological and therefore not a problem. It could quite conceivably become a psychological habit ... then it would become a real problem. But, as your weight and your body composition are being monitored regularly that possibility is well reduced. I am happy that you went to see your doctor. Keep on tri-ing....tah...
2004-02-15 2:17 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Good move on seeing the doc. Had a knee jurk reaction to your post. If your doc dosn't understand you as a Triathlete consider a new primary that understands your needs. I went to the wrong doc. for me for too many years. Now I have one I love.

Also this months Triathlete mag. has an artical in regards to eating disorders and triathletes. I did not get a chance to pick it up or read it yet but it might be a good read just incase.

Joe

2004-02-15 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
If you are experiencing no interest in food at all, I agree with the point made in post #1 that you may be working way too hard. I overtrained last year, and spent a month or two prior to completely becoming depressed having decreased appetite and increased gastrointestinal distress. Eventually, I became disinterested in training altogether. Overtraining causes hormonal and neurotransmitter imbalances.
It is not normal to be working out frequently and lose your appetite. I would recommend that you take a serious rest break before you lose your season - particularly if the doctor found nothing wrong with you physically.
Just my two cents from my experience...hopefully you will be fine!

JB
2004-02-19 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
Some of my friends look at me and think I am getting overly compulsive about not eating. What they are missing is that I am not eating junk (like them) when we are out and instead eating more healthy when I am not with them. Working out at this level has definitely altered my view on what I eat and sometimes I cannot eat junk food knowing how hard I need to work out to get it off. I eat a lot now, much more than I have in the past. I was restricting to a 1800-2000 cal intake but with the increased exercise it wasn't enough. On hard workout days it is up to 4000 cals of good food now. I am not perfect and do occationally join my family during festivities with the good eats. It is easier now because I know I eat well most of the time, so an occasional splurge is fine. I can see how easily it can become an unheathly addiction. My body fat scale helps on making sure weight loss is in the right form of fat loss and I am not sacrificing muscle by accident. I saw show a few weeks ago on exercise compulsion. A few olympic hopefuls and serious athletes way over on the overtraining. It scared me into getting a hearbeat monitor and tracking my resting (sleeping ) pulse for any sign of overtraining. I know in the past from the serious fatique, I often went to far. It is all good now. If you stick with your plan, take your rest days and eat enough good food, thats awesome. I would not say your normal, your a triathlete. Much better than normal. Compulsive about working out? Me too.

2004-03-09 12:30 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Wow, your post sounds like something I could have written! I have not been to the doctor, thankfully, but ever since my sister's bout with anorexia my parents have been wary of me. I have to say, I am quite obsessive about working out. Sometimes I think I do have an eating disorder, but then I just get very frustrated that my body doesn't seem to be showing the results I want even after months of working out, etc..before I recently started tri-training. In any case, I feel your pain. I can't decide whether being obsessive is a good thing or not. I really don't want to pay any attention to what I eat and just exercise like there's no tomorrow, meanwhile I get rid of every ounce of fat on my body! (note the exaggeration there...)Ah well, I'm starting my new, non-South Beach regiment tomorrow, which requires a caloric/ grams monitor system for my meals. I'll just have to see how things work out...
In any case, I'm glad to hear you don't have an eating disorder!
~Dorian (the "oh so excited" rookie)
2004-03-10 3:11 PM

Wow, I'm impressed with everyone's honesty and helpfulness. I too have already experienced this "aversion" to certain foods. I know that I was 20 lbs overweight/overfat when I began (I got a body composition done by professionals). I really wanted to lose the fat, gain muscle, and be healthy. Those were my main goals. I started noticing 2-3 weeks ago a stomach reaction when thinking of "fatty" foods (burgers, fries, junk foods) and really started watching calories and fat grams. I don't go for the low fat stuff, I just try to eat healthy foods (fruits, grains, a little meat, veggies, dairy) enough for my body. I cheated today and went to Burger King and now I'm paying for it with indigestion! Yuck! That's why I'm posting now, cause to a certain extent it must be mental. I visualize the fatty tissue growing. Kind of weird. Anyway, it's best to do things in moderation, but I really enjoy training, but I take one day off per week of total rest and recovery, and it's been good so far.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » REPULSED BY FOOD 2 Rss Feed