General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feeling the winter blues/burnout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-01 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: feeling the winter blues/burnout
It has been, and still is, a long winter here in Erie PA.  I hate to admit it, but it has taken its toll on me mentally.  I want to get out and ride or run but this weather here just keeps that from happening.  Cold, rain, snow, mud, wind.  I know some die hards would say tough it out, but running or ridding in rainy, 30 degree temps on a muddy or icy road just isn't going to happen.  The pool is getting to be mind tourture too.  Any thoughts to help me get through the next few weeks?

2008-04-01 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1309190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: feeling the winter blues/burnout
MikeP, I don't have any advice, but I want you to know that I am right there with you! I'm in IN and this weather just sucks! I'm so sick of it and my first tri is in 19 days.... I have a new bike... WHEN??? When will I ever get outside???
You are not alone in your feelings and if I knew you, I'd pat you on the back- we'd complain a bit and then laugh! Take care!
2008-04-01 7:25 PM

User image

New user
I can understand not biking or swimming outside, but not running outside in the cooler weather BECAUSE it is cold, is not a good enough reason. I'm not bagging on you, but running outside helps you build up endurance to the cold weather and also builds your immunity. I know that in the past when I ran through the coldest days of winter training for a marathon (-40 dgs windchill), I felt great when the weather actually got into the 30's and 40's. I didn't get sick much and my body was more prepared for actual races because I didn't shield myself from the enviorments (wind, hills, terrain, etc).

My advice, buy some decent winter running gear and run yourself out of your winter blues. You will appreciate Spring that much more!

FiremanMc
2008-04-01 7:32 PM
in reply to: #1309331

Champion
South Jersey
Just keep your eyes on the prize.
2008-04-01 8:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-01 9:18 PM

Champion
MA

Cool I'm mentioned in this thread....

I hear you, but seriously weather will get warmer and you will be out there soon..hang on. Have you signed up for a race? Maybe do a 5 or 10K. I do them every 2-3 weeks and this winter have gotten faster each one and set two new PBs. I'm not really a runner but a cyclist deep down in my heart, but I like the challenge, the horn going off, pushing hard until my asthma kicks in, pushing hard to the finish and dang I feel good about what I did. Secretly I find doing speed work in 5K's so much easier than in my neighborhood..so it helps accomplish that.

I've worked with a coach this is my 4th year. I remember something he said the first year that made no sense to me at the time..winter is when you get faster..summer is when you race. With races, tapering and the like, training time can be limited. After the first season with him which was okay, the next year I did so much better all because of the training I did in the off season. After that year I always look forward to winter as I know that is when I can make improvements and get faster come race day.

When I started I was wicked slow and dead last at most events, now I'm not; sure I'm not a speedster, but at 46 I like knowing that I could kick my 45 year old butt and that probably I could beat myself when I was 20 playing college soccer too. I find that amazingly rewarding.

Easy question..why do you like tris? Is that  enough motivation to get out and train? If not you need to relook at why you do this.

Find a race soon and sign up... 

2008-04-01 9:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-02 6:57 AM

Elite
Chicago, IL

I run in any weather cause it always helps.  Even running 3 miles in the cold or rain helps.

Now biking I won't do in the rain, I have to wait for sun for that...and like you, Chicago has had it's spare of sunny days  

but you should try to get out and run on those cloudy colder days.  It just feels good to sweat and get rid of all those toxins

Given that... today is supposed to be sunny and my boyfriend and I are riding after work tonight...can't wait!, I have a new saddle to try

Hang in there... warmer days are ahead

2008-04-02 7:08 AM

Regular
Ontario
The weather is just starting to turn in South-Western Ontario, but whether it will be rain or snow is still a question mark. Running is always an option though.

I like JeepFleeb's idea. I may have to go somewhere next December or March.
2008-04-02 2:34 PM

Expert
oregon ave,

Good stuff.  Thanks everyone. 

2008-04-02 2:40 PM

I just miss daylight. Up until maybe this week, by the time I get out of work, go home to get my bike and change and get to a place where I can ride, there's not enough daylight left for much of a ride And this week, I've had to work late b/c I was sick on Monday. Similarly with the morning. Not enough daylight hours before I have to be back and getting showered, etc. Running is a bit easier, since I have found lit places to run in the dark, with other folks around.  But for safety reasons, I won't bike in the dark.

2008-04-02 2:52 PM

Master
Fenton, MI

We've got some sunny, but still cool weather in MI right now.  It's coming your way. Hang in there.   The high is 60 on Sunday.  I hope you get that too.

To me, the sun makes all the difference.  If the sun is out, I don't care what the temp is. 

Like another poster said, having a big reason to train outside in the winter helps a lot.  I never once used a treadmill this winter, and I'm going to run in my first marathon this Sunday.  Sure, I had to get creative whenever we had 10" of fresh snow, but that's why they make snowshoes, right?  I told myself in October, that I was going to run outside all year, and I did it.  I never once had the "frozen lungs", and after the first mile, I was always getting comfortable.  I'll admit to skipping a few runs for trainer rides though...

If you are still cold now, layer up the best you can , and go get a little sunshine in the next couple days.  It does wonders.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » feeling the winter blues/burnout Rss Feed