United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 27m 37s
Overall Rank = 161/583
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5:30 or so and ate a bagel with peanut butter. Got all my tri gear, woke up the kids on accident and felt awful leaving a crying baby for Mimi to take care of. About to leave the hotel room and Amanda and Kyle show up with their smiling faces too. OH NO- all 3 awake for the day. But had to forge forward. Jen, Bubba, Todd and I walked together as it was fun to have a little gang with us. I had transition practice, jumping on and off the bike, on the way down to the site. Set up bike and race stuff, opened all my GUs and put them in my box on my bike, opened my cliff bar and put in helmet, and went to the dock. Gave Jen and Bubba hugs by the water and started to get really excited about the hours to come. Weird, it was much different than my normal feeling before a race - more excitement than nerves.
Event warmup:

Nothing really!
Swim
  • 43m 10s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Before the start I chatted with some of the woman and saw someone that looked so familiar. Turns out she went to grade school with me - 25 years ago. She was coaching one of the woman and she was doing the Quarter. This was the first open water swim that I did not have some serious anxiety the first 100 or so meters. I just tried to get into a good rhythm and stick with it. I kept on going to the right and was off course a bit for the first 750 meters but once we turned I finally got in gear. This was a very comfortable swim for me, never really pushed hard, just comfortable, and loved the wetsuit benefits of bouyancy. I still did a little breaststroke at times but nothing like I have in the past. I was so happy to see the big paddleboat coming around the last turn and swam in. Goal was 45 minutes and barely made it. Would like for it to be faster but was happy with the swim as I did not get freaked out like I have in the past.
What would you do differently?:

Do more open water swim and practice the sighting.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I was a little dizzy coming out of the swim while running to the wetuit strippers. I saw Jen and Bob Hogan right behind the strippers and all I could do was smile. It was so exciting for me to have them there to support Todd and I. I just smiled from ear to ear and waved lots - I was just thrilled to have that swim over with and to have them there. It was a little emotional for me. I loved the strippers...they were awesome. I ran to a guy volunteer because I felt that he would have a better chance of getting it off the first time. (Thanks for the tip Jen about not taking my goggles and cap off yet so it would not get caught in the wetsuit) Then when I ran into the transition area I was turned around and did not run into my lane so I had to back track a bit. (cost me about 20 seconds)

Got to my bike in the transition area and saw the HR was at 179 on my Garmin. Thought surely something was wrong with HR monitor because I wore it on the swim. (first time to wear it on a race.)

Pay more attention when running to bike.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was a bit eventful for me in the beginning. Hr was so high in the beginning and did not understand why? I have never seen 170s on the bike - NEVER - and I was not putting that much effort into it. At about mile 4 I felt like an animal reached into my bike and grabbed my leg. I gave a little scream and looked down to see my water bottle in the cage tilted upside down on the left side. I immediately tried to fix it but realized that was not going to work - a bolt must have fallen out. So I took my bottle out, emptied as much water as I could into the aero bottle and put it into the back holders. The cage was tilted with my pedal hitting it with every rotation - Clink Clink Clink! I moved it to the right side and it was rubbing against the chain so I thought I better put it back to the left side. I checked out the bike and did not think that anything was going to happen just deal with that annoying sound and get over it. Three miles later I hear a noise from behind me and realize that I just lost my water bottle from the back. Little panic because all I have is 1/2 aero bottle of water and not sure if I can successfully get the water handout from the volunteers. Again just told myself to deal with it. As I approached other riders, they would look at me and my bike because of this awful noise. Finally at mile 12, the bottle cage just fell off and the noise was gone. HurraY! I was thrilled and even told the girl next to me the story. On my second loop lost my sunglasses (it was overcast and they fogged up so I took them off and hung them on my trishirt collar), then my yellow sponge from my aero bottle flew off. Coming in from the bike second loop, I saw Kyle, Amanda, Travis, Mimi and Bubba and #1 supporter JJ cheering me on! I could not believe that the bike portion was already over. I was feeling good! Ate a Clif Bar in the beginning, took 4 GUs and drank about 36 ounces of water during the ride. Felt like it was the perfect amount for me. Also did not feel any wind at all - the training rides in the 20-30 winds lately must have helped!

Check all bolts and screws on bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I jumped off my bike barefoot and was a little scared when I wobbled for a bit. Ran to put my bike away, grabbed socks and shoes, garmin and hat and off I went. Felt like it was a smooth transition.
Run
  • 1h 45m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run feeling pretty good. Got water at first aid station and took a GU- first mile came and went in 7:14 and I did not feel that I was going that fast. Tried to get into a comfortable speed that I could hold, 7:44 next mile. Then by mile 4, I realized that something was not right and could possibly go wrong very soon. My pace drastically dropped and I was feeling it. Saw Murphy and he looked strong. Took some Gatoraide at the next station and within a few minutes, I was felt so much better and tried to pick it back up. I was happy at this point. and my HR was at 180 or so - crazy I know but I was comfortable again. I saw Jen at about that time then again a couple miles later. (so good to have her cheering)I had not seen Todd yet and asked about him. She said he was doing well so that put my mind to ease. (lots of flats and couple ambulances.) Saw Todd right after as he was at mile 10 or so and I was about to start to my second loop. By mile 8 or 9, I began to stop at every aid station, got water and pour it on myself, drink gatoraide and eat jelly beans. It was fun to eat them on the run and something to do. I tried to eat pretzels but they were too hard to eat so I spit them out. I loved the sponges and took 2 each time. Never felt really hot or out of breath, HR was high (lowered to 177 or so)but I felt very comfortable in my run. It was my legs. Total mental game by now at mile 10. I saw Todd right before he was about to finish and I had about 3 miles left. He looked strong and I was happy to see how good he looked (no visor though - weird?) Then at mile 11, something happened to my left shoulder. I totally cramped up and it felt like a twitch going up my shoulder and neck. About a mile of pain but then it went away. Finally, I was good again and just wanting to finish. During the entire run I saw tons of people involved in Team in Training, this made me think of Greg are all that he has been through the past 9 months. This pain that I was experiencing was nothing compared to what he has been through. So I was highly motivated to finish and getting emotional as well. Right before I crossed the finish line, I saw JJ and Todd yelling. I slapped Todd's hand right before the finish and was thrilled to have finished.

Drink Gatoraide a bit earlier. Also not get my socks and shoes as wet because my toes and feet started to hurt. I poured a cup of water on myself every mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Gave Todd BIG hugs of Congratulations and relief that it is done. Gave Jen a big hug and thanked her for being there too! Murphys came over and we took a few pictures, stretched a bit, then we went to the tent for some pizza and water. Legs and Gluts were tired and I had to be walking funny.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure - I was very thankful that we followed the plan that Murphy gave us. During the swim and bike, I could not believe how good I felt. During the run, I kept on thinking of what I could have done to have felt better. My nutrition seemed right on except for some parts of the run...but I fixed that before I bonked, my HR was where I thought it would be, it was just my tired legs. I think that longer bricks could have prepared my legs more for the half.

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race. I loved the swim and bike course and thought there were plenty of volunteers and spectators as well. The run just seemed so curvey but it was also nice to see other runners so often. I loved the sponges, food and the MC was awesome too. Even the shirts and hats were good. I will do this race again next year!

Last updated: 2008-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:10 | 2000 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/41
Overall: 288/583
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:55:08 | 56 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/41
Overall: 242/583
Performance:
Average HR 163
Wind: Little
Course: Nice Flat 2 loop course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:45:13 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/41
Overall: 79/583
Performance: Good
Average HR 181
Course: Crazy Eight like course - double loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-01 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lonestar Festival Half Iron Man

2008-04-02 12:21 AM
in reply to: #1309755

User image

Subject: RE: Lonestar Festival Half Iron Man
Great race Jenny.  What a long way you have come in less than a year, that bike was impressive, and then to run a 1:45.  Fun race and weekend.  Looking forward to the celebration.  
2008-04-02 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Simply an unreal race J!!  I'm not doing a full IM with you since the longer we go the closer you get!  To have your best bike average in your first HIM is rock solid.  Very proud of you!!
2008-04-02 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

wow, a race report. nice!  well done j. very proud of you. unbelievable accomplishment that you have made here. great times on all three disciplines AND you got your nutrition pretty much down. you rock! was so much fun to be out there to witness the greatness that is you guys!!  very proud of you!!

lala.

2008-04-02 2:57 PM

User image

New user

Dallas

So proud of you, great job. Love the bike report, way to keep your concentration throughout the chaos. Cannot wait to do one after reading your report...very inspirational.

2008-04-04 2:30 PM

User image

Dallas, Texas
You Hogan's are AMAZING!  I got chills reading your race report, J and will echo Fitz' sentiments and tell you how proud I am of all of you!  I look forward to joining the HIM crew in '09!  GREAT JOB, J!!!

2008-04-05 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome race and great race report---wow, so much to work through on the bike and still such a great ride! Well done out there, great great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lonestar Festival Half Iron Man Rss Feed