General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman California - Full? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-01 11:52 PM

New user
Santa Maria, CA
Subject: Ironman California - Full?
ANymore to the rumor that this race will be a full ironman next year?

2008-04-02 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1309839

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman California - Full?
I just cant see it happeneing. THe logistics with the base would make it really hard. The traffic was already FUBAR just from the half. And you would close the community residential roads until midnight vs. 4 pm. It would have to be a different course. What would be cool would be a full somewhere else in So Cal.
2008-04-02 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Spent a lot of time rubbing elbows at the expo and posed this question to quite a few folks with nothing definitive. (IE. No inside info)

After running the course again, it would seem "Doable" for the bike course but the swim will need a new venue. The harbor is way too small for a Mass Start. I think the run coursse will need a major reroute also as it would get pretty monotanous doing the existing course 4 times.

An ocean swim seems to be the obvious choice, but March is traditionally a good month for big surf. (New Zealand South Swells) Big waves tend to cause issues with Tri Swims. (But as a Surfer and someone who regularly trains in the ocean, I say, Bring it on baby!)

The Sand Road is gone permanently and so the run course is likely to get redone anyway. The folks that live in the condos are none too happy about having the race block their streets all day long. The way they did the course this year seemed like a good compromise but there were still a few angry confrontations with residents.

The one thing I did hear that made sense was that if they do make this a full, it will have to move to a different part of the year. There just is not enough daylight in March to keep a lot of folks from having to ride in the dark, and almost everyone running in the dark.

If it does become a full, I am certainly in for all the marbles

2008-04-02 1:04 PM

User image

Last I hear (granted, on ST), was it was just a rumor that wasn't happening

Of course, we heard that about IMAZ Nov for months as well

I think madcow posted some months back that some NAS people spoke to TCSD, and basically said you won't be seeing a full IM in So Cal anytime soon.  Logistically just impossible to get a city (cities) to shut down for that period of time

But I always thought we could have one in South Redondo/Torrance.  Ocean swim.  4 loops around PV, run up the bike path 13.1 mile and turn around. 

Run would be flat and fairly boring, bike would be a beeeyatch.

Edited by ChrisM 2008-04-02 1:06 PM
2008-04-02 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

A little history...

I attended Ironman California back in 2000 when it was a full Ironman.  The swim was on Camp Pendleton in their harbor (Thee one used for the Camp Pendleton International Triathlon in July).  I'm not sure if it was one or two loops.  The bike was a lot like the 70.3 bike just two loops.  It was back in 2001 when the guy (Perry Redina) died crashing on that big downhill on the bike course).  The run was multiple loops, I don't remember where.

A lot of the race, including transition was on Camp Pendleton Marine Base.  If they were o make it a Full IM again the best place to put it would be back on base-but with increased security I don't see that happening soon.

I would love for there to be a Ca70.3 and a Ca-Full Ironman like Florida has, but I don't know where they'd do it...So I really don't see it happening soon. 

2008-04-02 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1311077

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
ChrisM - 2008-04-02 11:04 AM

But I always thought we could have one in South Redondo/Torrance. Ocean swim. 4 loops around PV, run up the bike path 13.1 mile and turn around.

Trump would veto it. 

2008-04-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1311050

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
WaterDog66 - 2008-04-02 10:57 AM

The way they did the course this year seemed like a good compromise but there were still a few angry confrontations with residents.

Confrontations with athletes and residents?  Did they throw stuff at the athletes?  Their gripe should be with the organizers. 

2008-04-02 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1312172

User image

SevenZulu - 2008-04-02 5:47 PM
ChrisM - 2008-04-02 11:04 AM

But I always thought we could have one in South Redondo/Torrance. Ocean swim. 4 loops around PV, run up the bike path 13.1 mile and turn around.

Trump would veto it. 

Ha! Probably.  or the RD would go broke trying to compensate him for greens fees.

Don't know if you've been there, but there's a huge American flag he put up without permission from the coastal commission (didn't want to pay the application fee).  His defense is "go ahea, tell me I have to remove the American flag).  It is quite large....

2008-04-02 11:29 PM
in reply to: #1312428

User image

New user
Classic...you guys are bring back fond memories...I worked for "Mr. Trump" at "Ocean Trails" before it became Trump National. Beautiful layout but didnt delay me from leaving the golf biz in a hurry....I do miss the South Bay. Not as much as my wife. She is a Manhattan Beach girl who still is mad at me for moving her to evil OC.
2008-04-03 6:09 AM
in reply to: #1312473

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

TheWookie - 2008-04-02 9:29 PM Classic...you guys are bring back fond memories...I worked for "Mr. Trump" at "Ocean Trails" before it became Trump National. Beautiful layout but didnt delay me from leaving the golf biz in a hurry....I do miss the South Bay. Not as much as my wife. She is a Manhattan Beach girl who still is mad at me for moving her to evil OC.

I miss the south bay, too.  My wife and I rented a townhome for a few years in RPV before buying a home inland.   Boy, I sure wish I'd sprung for a place in PV back then when they were affordable.   At the time, 600k+ for a home seemed like a lot of money, LOL.  Last I spoke with some old friends, their 600k home was well over $2M.  Yeah, I'm sure things have settled a bit, but wow.  Pretty area there, though I also enjoy being close to the mountains out here.

And OC is a great place.  Where are you there, along the coast or somewhere near Irvine? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman California - Full? Rss Feed