United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 03m 32s
Overall Rank = 1032/1957
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/80
Pre-race routine:

Our hotel would not grant us a late check-out so we had to pack the car before hopping on our bikes and riding to the race.
I took my time setting up my transition, making sure I had everything I would need. My additional time was spent standing in line for the washroom.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up - tried to stretch while standing waiting for the wave start. Not so easy in the wetsuit...
Swim
  • 45m 28s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first race of the year, first time in open water for the year and first ever ocean swim. I was happy just to survive it. I found sighting extremely difficult - it was the combination of the waves, sun and my goggles - I definitely want to get new ones before my next race. Several times I found myself on the wrong side of the buoys and had to swim 90 degrees to get back on track. Such a waste of time and energy!

I had difficulty getting into my stroke. I found the wetsuit to be extremely restrictive so that was frustrating. I also forgot to apply body glide, and by halfway through, the back of my neck was on fire.
What would you do differently?:

BODY GLIDE! Have different goggles. Kick more - several times in the swim, I would realize that my legs weren't moving at all. I'm sure that didn't help my time at all.
Transition 1
  • 05m 27s
Comments:

Transition went relatively smoothly. I felt a little wobbly - probably due to equalibrium issues. For the first swim to bike transition of the year, I'm pretty happy.

Have water at my station so that I can take a drink before heading out.

Bike
  • 3h 18m 56s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 27.18 km/hr
Comments:

I was very pleased with my ride. This was my first time riding outside this year, and I was happy with how I handled the course - I rode the hills strong and recovered well. I definitely found the wind difficult - it came at the point in the course when you'd already been beaten up by the hills. Very challenging.

I caught up to Brian with about 8k to go, and we rode the rest of the way in together. That was the highlight of the race for me.

Drink more - my water bottle was difficult to get into the cage and I think that dissuaded me from drinking.
Carry a bento box - it would make food more accessible as well as give me a place to store my garbage!

Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Transition 2 was uneventful. I forgot to take off my vest and had to run back to do that. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it, considering we hadn't really had the opportunity to practice transitions yet this year.

Brian and I ran out of transition together, so that was kind of fun - a first for both of us.

Ensure I have everything on/off before heading out of my area.
Run
  • 1h 50m 17s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 05m 14s  min/km
Comments:

My run started out not so great. My legs showed signs of cramping in the first mile and I was worried that I would get stopped in my tracks. I ran easy to the first aid station, where I drank everything I could - water - coke - water, just to try and get fuel to my muscles and hopefully dissuade the cramping.

By mile 2, I was back on track and feeling strong. Every now and then, my quad would twinge a bit, but I managed to keep it under control, fueling myself well at each aid station. I am a runner, and I know that I muddle through the swim and the bike just to get to this point, so I would have been extremely disappointed if I could not pull it together. I ran focused and smart, picking off people one by one.

Ensure I am properly fueled on the bike so that I can start my run strong.
Take 1 or 2 more salt pills.

Apply SUNSCREEN!

Post race
Warm down:

I signed Brian and myself up for massages and then went back to the finish to wait for Brian to come in. The bottoms of my feet were a little tender - I had run in my brand new Newtons (which I love!), and the build up under the ball of your foot tends to give you a blister sensation. Thankfully, I avoided all blisters.
I stretched while I waited and tried to keep warm. I failed to bring cool down gear with me - something I need to add to my race checklist.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is the 1st of 16 half-ironmans for us this year. We held ourselves back on purpose to ensure we could recover quickly and that our training for the next one would not get interrupted too much.
I was not properly fueled - something I definitely have to work on.

Event comments:

This was a fantastic race. The course is beautiful and definitely scenic with it's ocean views and Cali hill climbs. There were a lot of army volunteers, which added a little something extra to the race.

Hazards were well marked, and aid stations were plentiful. This race seems to draw a high calibre of athletes, so the competition is tough which is actually a bonus for me. It makes me work that much harder, and ensures I perform to the best of my ability on race day.

I would definitely recommend this race.

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:28 | 1931 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 62/80
Overall: 1619/1957
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course: A deep water start. We started just out from the boat ramp then headed North West towards the open water. At approx the 800 meter mark, the course turns West then back East into shore (and directly into the sun, making sighting extremely difficult).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:18:56 | 90.12 kms | 27.18 km/hr
Age Group: 43/80
Overall: 1297/1957
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course starts North, goes through Camp Pendleton. Once you exit the camp, you start to turn inland, making your way to the Cali hills. Up a couple of steep long climbs, and down some good descents - one that has a 25 mph speed limit and no passing law. From 35 miles or so on, the course has rolling hills, and false flats. The wind gets you at about this point and it's a struggle to keep your forward momentum. You turn back into Camp Pendleton and head home.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:17 | 21.08 kms | 05m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 11/80
Overall: 606/1957
Performance: Good
Course: The course is 2 loops of an out and back that runs along the ocean front, dipping into the residential area for bits. It's definitely not flat and has several rolling hills, which gives your body a nice mix-up of terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-02 7:51 AM

New user

Ottawa
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2008-04-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1310101

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
You came on strong in the run. Seems like nutrition will need some fine tuning. Luckily, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get that worked out this season!

Incredible year you have planned. I'll be following along with keen interest.

Maybe I'll see you guys in Newfoundland?

Congratulations on a great race and best of luck with the adventure ahead.
2008-04-02 8:53 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Heather, great job and great way to kick off your season of 16! halfs.  Wow!  Glad you survived your first ocean OWS.

It must have been your husband I spoke to in reception at the guesthouse inn (he was asking about late checkout and said he was from Ottowa).

2008-04-02 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Wow! Having just signed up for my first tri (a super sprint in October), I can't even imagine doing a single HIM let alone 16 in one year. You are my new hero!! I was out on the bike and run portions of the course working as a volunteer. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. WTG on a great race!
2008-04-02 11:23 AM

New user

Ottawa
Hey thanks BT guys! This is the first time I've written a report in any detail - I love the format so will make sure I write one for all our races this year.

We were supposed to hook up with some of you for lunch on Friday but Brian snapped his chain going up the hill just at the beginning of the course during our warm-up ride, so we had to find the nearest LBS and get it fixed pronto. We went to Rivet and got awesome service.

We were the ones at the Guesthouse - we had decided to stay in San Diego on Sat night - maybe take in some nightlife, but by 8:30 PM we were both beat so ended up crashing instead! I guess we could have stayed in Oceanside after all!

As for Newfoundland - I actually already noticed you were registered. I hope we see you there! Once ASIORDERS gets the race photos up, I'll be switching my avatar so we'll be pretty easy to spot. If you see us, please come talk to us!!!!

I'm on my lunch now so I'm going to take the opp to read some race reports...

Happy Recovering...(or training )
2008-04-15 9:54 PM

Pasadena, CA

Wow -- those 50 States marathoners got nothing on you. Who's doing more miles?

50 x 26.2 = 1310 miles

16 x 70.3 = 1124 miles

You're packing in more miles in fewer events. Very impressive.

With race fees and travel, I don't know who pays more, a 50-states marathoner or a 16-HIM triathlete...

Sharon 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed