New York Triathlon
-2C / 28F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 14s
Overall Rank = 85/435
Age Group = M30-39 Fat Tire
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

First competitive event so didn't sleep that well (more nervous than I thought I would be). Out of bed 90 mins before race start and had some granola and milk and also plenty of water.

Arrived 25 minutes before start, racked bike, worked out entry and exit points, etc.
Event warmup:

1.5 mile easy ride to start, then did quite a lot of stretching while waiting for the start.
Run
  • 17m 36s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first ever event so I positioned myself in the back third of the crowd. This turned out to be an error as spent most of the race passing people as I had misjudged what my pace would be in comparison with others at the BOP. Because I seemed to be running faster than my peers I backed off a little as I was concerned that I would make the rookie error of going off too fast and then blow up on the bike and second run.
My split is considerably slower than my normal long (8-10 mile) training pace, plus I had run the course the previous morning and split 7.00. I guess I just need to get more experience of understanding what my pace is when I'm in a large group.
What would you do differently?:

Just go out a lot harder. Have a bit more confidence and start a bit further up the pack. Maybe get an HRM with a coded belt so that I can at least see what my HR is to know if I'm going too hard.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Transition area was really tightly packed (although as this was my first event I don't have a lot to compare to). I had not practised transitions, but shoe / headgear change went relatively smoothly. Only issue is by bike shoes which are a combination of lace up and velcro and the laces wasted the most time, particularly given cold fingers.

Get new bike shoes or try using elastic laces in bike shoes to help speed things up

Remember that it is a lot less effort to gain 10 seconds in the transition than on the run!
Bike
  • 37m 1s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm riding my 16 year old mountain bike with semi-slick 1.5 inch tyres so was really pleased with my pace. Like many, I would really like to get a cool time trial / road bike but didn't think I really had he fitness to do it justice yet. The fact that I lost count of the number of exotic carbon bikes that I passed gave me massive enjoyment. I think I'll just get some faster tyres for my mountain bike and use this for my first Tris this summer and look to upgrade next Spring

Like the first run, I was concerned given the amount of passing I was doing, and that this was my first event, that I should conserve some energy. I think I could have gone a bit faster and not jeopardised the final leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

T2 was better than T1, primarily as I didn't need to lace up any shoes.

This was the first time I had actually done a BRIC and although my legs felt like someone else's and I could only move slowly it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Practice BRICs and dismounts, etc before next events
Run
  • 17m 23s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

As mentioned, I had foolishly not practised BRICs so I'm sure this hampered my running, particularly as the first couple of minutes of the run are uphill and I was VERY slow. Despite this, my pace, although poor, was actually an improvement on the first run leg.

BRICs and just not be afraid to run harder earlier
Post race
Warm down:

Gave my wife a hug!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Too far back in starting pack
2) Concerned with blowing up so didn't really do any leg at maximum effort
3) Need to practice whole transition process as not as slick or as urgent as it could have been

Last updated: 2008-02-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:36 | 02 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 159/435
Performance: Below average
In all the excitement forgot to start watch and my old HRM without coded transmitter was useless in the pack.
Course: One mile up and back East Drive from boathouse (I think it was a shade over two miles, but maybe that is just because I can't believe how poor my splits are!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:37:01 | 12 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 59/435
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Two laps of Central Park (just over 12 miles)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:17:23 | 02 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 104/435
Performance: Below average
Course: Same again
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-02 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
New York City
Subject: NY Tri March Madness Biathlon

2008-04-03 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1311093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: NY Tri March Madness Biathlon
awesome.. way to go .. I'm sorry that I could not be in this race with you .. I had to beg off due to illness and lack of training from the illness.. but ya.. that first mile up Cat Hill after the bike is a killer if you arent prepared for it.. I used to do repeats up it during BRic workouts.. perhaps you should too.. there are another 2 Du's this year.. hopefully I'll see you at one or the other..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NY Tri March Madness Biathlon Rss Feed