General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One of my biggest pet peeves of swimming at the gym is Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-17 1:21 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: One of my biggest pet peeves of swimming at the gym is
when people stand around in the lanes and don't swim but treat it like a jacuzzi.

• ..I just started getting back into swimming so I never realized this, and I can't stand it. I mean, the only thing I can think that helps is I try to treat them like obstacles I might find in the ocean when I do my first tri.

• But soooooooo annoying :-(

Edited by auto208562 2004-12-17 1:22 AM

2004-12-17 1:23 AM
    in reply to: #93554

User image

Subject: RE: One of my biggest pet peeves of swimming at the gym is
    Can't you just ask if they are using the lane? I agree, I don't like it when people do that, although I am guilty of it after our masters class. But if someone comes to the pool looking ready to swim, we get out of te way

Chris
    2004-12-17 8:25 AM

User image

Master
    Harvard, Illinois
    Ask the gym to turn the pool temp. down a few degrees. Then they won't have a jacuzzi to stand around in. The lap pool at my gym is rather cool and if you don't move around and swim you'll freeze.

Mike
    2004-12-17 8:41 AM

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA
    Just prented is a water swim start and go out fighting to find your position, splashing a lot while passing next to them!!! ;-)
    2004-12-17 9:49 AM

User image

Elite

Flip turn to the face is also effective.  I wouldn't really do that.  Some people are really inefficient swimmers so they are winded with just one lap and need to hang on the wall for a while.  Then again, they may just be socializing.  I give'em a pass either way.  Life is too short.

When I am in the pool, I try to swim continuously.  When I need to rest, I swim back or breast stroke so that I don't clog up the wall.

2004-12-17 10:24 AM

User image

Pro
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use a local rec center pool ans Saturday morning lap swim is also apparently "senior lap swim". It's a 6 lane pool and there are usually 10-15 seniors there fore the 80min lap swim. I have no problem with the older folks aside from the fact that they tend to be inconsiderate. Last week they spread out into all 6 lanes, including the one empty lane I started in. They aren't very good at staying to one side of the lane and then spend as much time standing in the shallow end as they do swimming laps. I'm constantly having to go around people and I'm sure it's annoying to them to have some "kid" splashing past them all morning...but they seem to feel entitled to use all the lanes and generally not care much about anyone else trying to swim considerable faster. I noticed it's the ladies who are particularly inconsiderate for some reason. You might say that I should request te lifeguards keep one lane available for faster swimmers...and that's a good idea...but it was the lifeguard who asked me to move from the lane I had all to myself into a lane that already had 2 considerably slower swimmers in it. GRRRRRRRR...

2004-12-17 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
    St Charles, IL
    Thankfully, my gym has two pools, and two hot tubs.

One pool is heated and warmish, has a big wading section, and is where people go to 'hang out' in the pool.

The other pool is the lap pool, and it's kept cool enough that unless you are swimming, it *is* a might bit uncomfortable.

And then anyone looking for a hot tub, can go, well, sit in the hot tub.

It can get a bit crowded at times, and I've had to wait for a lane to open up, but I've found that at 6am, I can get the whole thing to myself.

-Chris
    2004-12-17 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oregon
    I hate swimming with others in the same lane.

I try and get to the Y a little early, before lap swim begins, to get a lane, usually one that reserved for fast people. I can't say I'm the fastest in the world, but I do swim faster than most.

I also have times figured out when apparently nobody likes to swim.

Daily
    5:00am - 5:45am rush hour
    5:45am - 7:00am dead
    8:30 pm - 9:45pm dead

Weekends 8:00 am dead (I guess too many have hangovers or something)

When the pool is crowded I just try and tell myself this is like race conditions.

Later,

2004-12-17 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
    Issaquah, WA,

I have the same problem.  "Social swimmers".  The swimmers that come to the pool just to talk about themselves and barely swim at all but sit on the wall and don't move out of the way when you want to turn.  I DO make sure that I make a big splash when I go by.  Another pet peeve of mine. . .Each lane at the pool I swim at is assigned according to speed.  I try and get there really early so I can be sure to set the pace for the FAST lane.  Almost every time someone comes into my lane that I am passing every 50 yards.  I realize that they may think that coming into my FAST lane will help to make other lanes less crowded (meaning more than 2 people) but if they go into a lane where everyone is going the same speed they would get in their workout and not be in my way. 

Sorry, venting. 

2004-12-17 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Oregon
    Is it rude to pass people? I do it all the time. Oh, Well.

Do I really have to wait until they reach the wall???????????//?//?????????//??

What do you think?????
    2004-12-17 12:39 PM
    in reply to: #93745

User image

Pro
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not in my opinion. The pool has many lanes. I always try to get an open lane or at least try to find one with someone swimming at a decent pace but that isn't possible on Saturday mornings (senior hour) so I'm constantly passing and going around people. They probably think it's rude but I think it's rude to take all the lanes and not leave any open for the faster swimmers. I'm not fast my any means, but compared to most at my local rec center I'm one of the fastest.

Blacktoe - 2004-12-17 11:59 AM

Is it rude to pass people? I do it all the time. Oh, Well.

Do I really have to wait until they reach the wall???????????//?//?????????//??

What do you think?????

2004-12-17 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
    Chicago
    .... when hair gets caught in my goggles.

• ... when I see gum at on the pool floor.
  • 2004-12-17 1:02 PM

Houston, Texas
    in my gym we have ppl hopp in lanes, now its only a 6 lane pool, and sometimes you'll see 6 ppl in the pool one per lane all hopping...well it quite frankly upsets me, there is no reason that all the hoppers cant be in one lane. let the pool be for lap swimming! sometimes ppl like to walk into my lane while im swiming and talk with a friend of theirs so i make sure to place a well positioned flip turn by them to splah their hair since most of them never even get thir head wet...

what can i say, im a meany,lol, and have little patience when it comes to ppl that get in my way when i am able to find time to work out in my schedule. if they are excercising i wont do that, but for the socialites, i have no hesitation remiding them they are in a swimming pool and some ppl are there to exercise. ;-)

this forum could use some more emoticons...
    2004-12-17 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Horse Country
    I'm one of those slow people who gets winded after 25yd and has to stop for a minute to catch my breath. The pool I use usually only has two lanes open, maybe three (the rest of the pool is "open swim" or "water fitness") ... I actually pick the lane with the fast guy in it because...

1) He doesn't (seem to) mind - instead of rotating, we split the lane 50/50 and I don't get in his way.
    2) I can watch his form while I rest.
    3) He knows how to swim, so as long as I watch what I'm doing and stay out of *his* way, I don't even have to think about him getting in *my* way.

At all times, when I stop, I watch for him and make sure I'm out of his way and not interfering with his workout. It's only common courtesy.

Don't even get me started about the day we both tried to share the lane with a "senior" who acted pretty much oblivious to our presence... :-(

I long for the day when I'm the fast guy...
    2004-12-17 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
    Potomac, Maryland
    That would annoy me too.  I swim at a municipal pool and have never had that experience.  Those who have to rest tend to keep to the side of the swimming lane, and I just veer to the part of the lane that remains vacant.
    2004-12-17 2:03 PM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I've had my share of wall huggers. Some are resting between laps - they deserve every bit of their portion of the lane. Others are socializing....these guys really bug me. Its only an issue when the pool has limited lanes open and the lanes are in use. Most of the time its little old ladies talking with someone on the other side of the lane lines. I'll say something politely to them. They then have two choices - clear out or start swimming. If they don't choose either of these two, a quick look to the lifeguard always gets results. If it doesn't, I'll get out the old policy posted at the pool - start circling or get out.

I'm more than happy to share a lane with beginning swimmers or unsure swimmers who are trying to improve. I'll give them 75% of the lane when I pass them to ensure they don't collide or hit me if they are nice. If I get attitude in any way shape or form, they will quickly learn the benefits of sharing with others.

For those with attitudes at the end - flip turns, heavy kicking and splashing and the occasional bump can be utilized. Drives me crazy when people are ridiculously impolite - they get whatever nastiness I can dish out.

Edited by jkbostic 2004-12-17 2:03 PM

2004-12-17 3:20 PM
    in reply to: #93770

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Denver, CO
    I hate it when I see bandaids floating around on the bottom. Eeewwww. I'd take the lane loiterers over bandaids anyday.
    2004-12-17 3:25 PM

Elite
    Livingston, MT
    I first would ask the lifeguard to fix the problem of kids coming into my lane to no avail. Then one day while swimming, this cute little 8 year old jumped over the lane line and right into my lane. I didn't see her and hit her in the eye with my wrist (which had a watch on it). The girl was crying, I felt like crap, and then I lit into the lifeguard. Ever since then, no problems keeping the lanes clear. I hate water aerobics, I don't see the need for a lane if all you are going to do is walk, play with floaties, etc...
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One of my biggest pet peeves of swimming at the gym is Rss Feed