Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Animal - Human embryos - Breakthrough or Monstrous? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-04-02 4:09 PM

User image

Subject: Animal - Human embryos - Breakthrough or Monstrous?

While I am all for stem cell research, not sure what kinds of lines we are blurring/crossing/obliterating if we don't think this through fully

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23476268-38200,00.html?from=public_rss

2008-04-02 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1311747

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Animal - Human embryos - Breakthrough or Monstrous?
ChrisM -

not sure what kinds of lines we are blurring/crossing/obliterating if we don't think this through fully

We crossed that line a loooong time ago.

Also, FWIW, I renewed my driver's license today and took the opportunity to finally leave the Democratic Party, the party that has moral line crossing built into it's platform. I'm now "no party affiliation", which kinda makes me feel like a non-denominational voter. A very happy day for me anyway.

With the Pennsylvania primaries coming up, my only regret is that I'll now have to wait until November for the pleasure of voting against Obama.

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-02 4:40 PM
2008-04-02 4:43 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Old news - I have been doing this for YEARS in my basement.....

I don't see what the big deal is.......

2008-04-02 4:43 PM

User image

Buttercup

Interesting. Looks like they are pursuing ways to overcome/dismiss the human embryo objection to embryonic stem cell research.

A team has grown hybrid embryos after injecting human DNA into eggs taken from cows' ovaries, which had most of their genetic material removed.

The embryos survived for three days and are intended to provide a limitless supply of stem cells to develop therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries, overcoming a worldwide shortfall in human embryos.

What things do you think we should be thinking through, Chris?

2008-04-02 4:46 PM

User image

Champion

I am SOOO getting a set of gills.  My swim times are going to ROCK!

2008-04-02 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1311822

User image

Sensei
Sin City
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-04-02 2:46 PM

That and some webbed feet and hands..... SWEET!

2008-04-02 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1311816

User image

Renee - 2008-04-02 2:43 PM

Interesting. Looks like they are pursuing ways to overcome/dismiss the human embryo objection to embryonic stem cell research.

A team has grown hybrid embryos after injecting human DNA into eggs taken from cows' ovaries, which had most of their genetic material removed.

The embryos survived for three days and are intended to provide a limitless supply of stem cells to develop therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and spinal cord injuries, overcoming a worldwide shortfall in human embryos.

The embryos are 99% human.  Live for 3 days curently, so I assume they will at some point learn to keep them alive longer.  Perhaps for even 9 months.  Then what?  We have... what,  a 99% human?  full human?  what affect does 1% othe species DNA have on a human?  New "racial" lines?  What kinds of diseases that used to be unable to jump species are we now allowing across that bridge?  Limited to cows?  What about pigs, donkeys, monkeys, etc etc

Is a 99% human "less" of a human to dismiss the anti stem cell arguments. FTR, I am pro choice and for stem cell research, so these srguments don't sway me, but still, what percentage makes it "non human"?  90? 75? 50?  What about when these are brought to term?

What about the freaks in vegas that already have 50% dog/50% humans?

What was it Jeff Bridges said in Jurassic Park - Just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should

All very X-Men to me.

Edited by ChrisM 2008-04-02 4:59 PM
2008-04-02 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1311824

User image

Aikidoman - 2008-04-02 2:49 PM
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-04-02 2:46 PM

That and some webbed feet and hands..... SWEET!

My dolphin tail will kick your a$$!!!

2008-04-02 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Crap, is it taper time for IMAZ already?

Oh, I guess so since the Bib Numbers have been posted. Gonna be a lot of fun watching you blast through the desert. I am placing bets that you will be in the top 100 out of the water. (No Waves, wind, current etc.)
2008-04-02 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1311846

User image

Sensei
Sin City

That's 75/25 dog/human, SIR!!!!

I realized quickly that any more human that that, and they had too many bad habits......

2008-04-02 5:05 PM

User image

ChrisM -

The embryos are 99% human. Live for 3 days curently, so I assume they will at some point learn to keep them alive longer. Perhaps for even 9 months. Then what? We have... what, a 99% human? full human? what affect does 1% othe species DNA have on a human? New "racial" lines?

Why does it matter?

(Of course, I'm glad that it matters to you. )

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-02 5:06 PM

2008-04-02 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1311865

User image

Tim, stop trying to change the subject (you should have come last night, tirxie and Yanti in the same room?  fuggedaboutit 

Aikido, ROFL

OK, seriousnsess:

dontracy - 2008-04-02 3:05 PM
ChrisM -

The embryos are 99% human. Live for 3 days curently, so I assume they will at some point learn to keep them alive longer. Perhaps for even 9 months. Then what? We have... what, a 99% human? full human? what affect does 1% othe species DNA have on a human? New "racial" lines?

Why does it matter?

(Of course, I'm glad that it matters to you. )

Why does which part matter - and don't be so sure you're glad, because:

Let me say, I do not think an embryo is human.  Potential to be human.  Where is the dividing line?  Good question.  Survival outside the womb without artificial stimulus?  Guess I'd start there. 

So my premise at being distrubed is upon birth

On one level, it apears we will end up with a new "species".  What is it?  What traits?  More disturbing to me, what genetic immunities, diseases, mutations will arise?  Of course, we'd never know without experimentation.

2008-04-02 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1311874

User image

ChrisM -

OK.

Why does it matter that we'd have a new species that's 99% human. (putting aside for the moment how one would quantify a percentage of being "human" )

I'm still glad.

I think many people will read an article like that and simply dismiss it as being an issue that's not important enough to consider, or will just pretend that the moral/ethical question doesn't exist, or just try to avoid the implications.

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-02 5:26 PM
2008-04-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1311889

User image

dontracy - 2008-04-02 3:18 PM
ChrisM -

OK.  

Why does it matter that we'd have a new species that's 99% human. (putting aside for the moment how one would quantify a percentage of being "human"

I'm still glad. 

I think many people will read an article like that and simply dismiss it as being an issue that's not important enough to consider, or will just pretend that the moral/ethical question doesn't exist.

I think you give me too much credit.  I dunno, maybe too many Hollywood movies (I can see the Hollywood sign from my office right now).....  and a little knowledge of the depravities of the human condition.  Internment camps, rounding up "subhumans", blaming them for... whatever the ill of the day is.

We had a number of years where certain humans were quantified as "less than human" based upon a physical characteristic.  We were, and continue to be, quite capable of doing that.  But being black, or white, or asian, is different than changing the basic human DNA.   (and I can understand you might draw a parallel to fetuses.. fetusi?)

Is it a form of intellectual evolution?  Sure, Darwin's finch got a longer beak to get into the flower, or a stronger beak to break a nut, through natural evolution.  Is the use of science to create a chosen evolution different?

Other than that, I can't quite put my finger right on it.  Something seems very wrong about it. 

Edited by ChrisM 2008-04-02 5:29 PM
2008-04-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: #1311917

User image

ChrisM - 200

I think you give me too much credit.

I don't think so. You've been a cyber buddy for something like four years now. We disagree about a lot of things discussed here, maybe most things, and still remain friends.  That's a rare and good thing.

So I'm glad that this news gives you pause. And it confirms what I think of you. And I'm glad about that.

Other than that, I can't quite put my finger right on it. Something seems very wrong about it.

The questioning of the truth of human dignity comes itself from the dignity of being human.

TS Eliot - The Hollow Men

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-02 5:48 PM
2008-04-02 5:48 PM

User image

Buttercup
ChrisM - 2008-04-02 5:57 PM

The embryos are 99% human.  Live for 3 days curently, so I assume they will at some point learn to keep them alive longer.  Perhaps for even 9 months.  Then what? 

No, not 9 months. I think you are grossly misunderstanding the science.

From reading the article, the scientists have no interest in actually creating a new species or monster or thing or allowing anything to develop beyond the blastocyte stage (a matter of days).

The reason people have objected to embryonic stem cell research is because the human embryo is destroyed in the process of extracting the inner cell mass which is used to create the stem cell line. With this new development, no human blastocyte/embryo will be destroyed. The nucleus of a cow's embryo is destroyed and human DNA is pumped into it, thereby activating a mechanism that allows for cell replication.

What about when these are brought to term?

That is not the science they are pursuing. The blastocyte is destroyed in the process.

What was it Jeff Bridges said in Jurassic Park - Just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should

Yep, I remember that cautionary comment.

Oh, forgot to provide this helpful link - basics of stem cell research.

Edited by Renee 2008-04-02 5:51 PM

2008-04-02 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1311952

User image

No, not 9 months. I think you are grossly misunderstanding the science. [\QUOTE] 

No doubt I am.  I am not, nor ever claimed to be, a sicentific man.  But I am not naive (see below)

From reading the article, the scientists have no interest in actually creating a new species or monster or thing or allowing anything to develop beyond the blastocyte stage (a matter of days).

The reason people have objected to embryonic stem cell research is because the human embryo is destroyed in the process of extracting the inner cell mass which is used to create the stem cell line. With this new development, no human blastocyte/embryo will be destroyed. The nucleus of a cow's embryo is destroyed and human DNA is pumped into it, thereby activating a mechanism that allows for cell replication.

What about when these are brought to term?

That is not the science they are pursuing. The blastocyte is destroyed in the process.

Yep, I remember that cautionary comment.

Oh, forgot to provide this helpful link - basics of stem cell research.

Well, they have already created something that can live for 3 days.

I understand what the short article says the scientists' current intent is.  And I applaud it.  However, given the money to be made in patenting these days (and gene sequences are being patented), I am not naive enough to believe that the work developed by the scientists will not be appropriated by private investment, or perhaps they will be so inclined to assert ownership and sell it themselves, at which time those monetary investments will need to show some return.

Or, once this scientific process is published, what's to stop another scientist, here or elsewhere, from adopting these procedures for similar gain?

I may grossly misunderstand some things (interesting phraseology, but I'll take a pass), but I do understand others.

(BTW I sense you are interpreting my reluctance to the science as an attempt to further the conservative anti stem cell position, and as such is perhaps a knee jerk reaction to that threat.  I believe I stated I am for embryonic stem cell research.  My concerns extend much further than that issue.)

Edited by ChrisM 2008-04-02 6:00 PM
2008-04-02 6:04 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

Actually, it's Jeff Goldblum who ironically was....THE FLY!

2008-04-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1311976

User image

Buttercup
ChrisM - 2008-04-02 6:59 PM

Well, they have already created something that can live for 3 days.

I understand what the short article says the scientists' current intent is.  And I applaud it.  However, given the money to be made in patenting these days (and gene sequences are being patented), I am not naive enough to believe that the work developed by the scientists will not be appropriated by private investment, or perhaps they will be so inclined to assert ownership and sell it themselves, at which time those monetary investments will need to show some return.

Or, once this scientific process is published, what's to stop another scientist, here or elsewhere, from adopting these procedures for similar gain?

I may grossly misunderstand some things (interesting phraseology, but I'll take a pass), but I do understand others.

(BTW I sense you are interpreting my reluctance to the science as an attempt to further the conservative anti stem cell position, and as such is perhaps a knee jerk reaction to that threat.  I believe I stated I am for embryonic stem cell research.  My concerns extend much further than that issue.)

When you write "something that has lived for 3 days" do you understand that it was the embryo/blastocyte that survived for 3 days?  That we're talking about something that consists of about 100 cells?

When I wrote you grossly misunderstood the science, I was pointing out the huge difference between the stem cell line creation process - which involves blastocytes that are days old before they are destroyed - that this article is all about, and what you were writing about which is some monster that is brought to term. Seemed to confuse the entire issue.

I think that referring to a breakthrough in stem cell research in one breath and monsters brought to term in the next breath only confuses people. Speaking for myself, I was confused with why you were talking about monsters and such when the article is about stem cell research. Embyronic stem cell research is a science that is requires the destruction of blastocytes, that's why there is such a controversy about it.

And, no, I didn't interpret any political or religious intent in your post - my response was purely from a "I don't think it means what he thinks it means" point of view. Article discusses stem cell research vs what you are discussing. Hence, my confusion and desire to point out that it's impossible to bring it to term since the blastocyte/embryo is destroyed within days of the DNA implantation.

And... assuming you understand the process, I wanted to point out the difference to anyone else who is reading who knows little to nothing about the process.

Oh... and I am staying out of the slippery slope/mad scientist scenario/discussion. Or am I just dense this evening and that was the point of your thread? It happens...

Edited by Renee 2008-04-02 6:43 PM
2008-04-02 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California

I'm amazed nobody has raised the most pressing question in all of this...

At what point on the scale from animal to human do we have to stop grilling it for dinner?

2008-04-02 6:49 PM

User image

Giver

The embryos are 99% human.

FWIW, human DNA is 98% monkey. I may actually be 98.5% 

2008-04-02 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1312091

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
run4yrlif - 2008-04-02 7:49 PM

The embryos are 99% human.

FWIW, human DNA is 98% monkey. I may actually be 98.5% 

Even a caveman knew that.

2008-04-02 8:23 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

(island_of_dr_moreau_ver2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
island_of_dr_moreau_ver2.jpg (30KB - 3 downloads)
2008-04-02 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1312059

User image

Oh... and I am staying out of the slippery slope/mad scientist scenario/discussion. Or am I just dense this evening and that was the point of your thread? It happens...

\

Bingo (the point of thee thread part, not the dense part).  No comment on what happened scientifically.  But yes comment on the moral and ethical issues raised by the possibilities

And the word "monstrous" came from the article (quoted by both the church and an ethicist)

2008-04-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1312426

User image

ChrisM -

No comment on what happened scientifically. But yes comment on the moral and ethical issues raised by the possibilities.

Chris, we're already at the bottom of that slippery slope. Just biding our time until the avalanche catches up with us.

Given your set of beliefs, I don't see how you can construct a moral/ethical system now that can argue against these new bio developments.

I'd say that your position on abortion and ESCR shows that what you have now is an ethical/moral system based in a material/human definition of personhood, as contrasted to a transcendent/creator based system.

If it turns out that you're correct, then Jefferson and the rest of the founders were wrong.

If you are correct, then you can't make a moral/ethical claim against any act, since the prohibition would simply be another human construct, one that can easily be changed back.

So what is immoral today can simply be declared moral tomorrow, just because that's what people want.

So if you really want to build a life and a culture on that system, just be prepared to accept anything that comes down the pike. We've already declared that certain groups of people are not human persons and therefore can be legally killed. Today, the movement it seems is to gradually expand who may fall into that group.

It's not a stretch to claim later that certain groups are not a full 100% human and can therefore be made into slaves. The prohibition against slavery has no philosophical basis in the system you hold, at least non that can be successfully defended.

So welcome to the Brave New World, my friend.

We're at the bottom of the slope. But it's not too late to get back to the top of the mountain. The chairlift is there, and the line's not too bad.

Edited by dontracy 2008-04-03 7:36 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Animal - Human embryos - Breakthrough or Monstrous? Rss Feed  

of 2