General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Cal Ironman dream course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-02 11:43 PM

User image

New user
Subject: So Cal Ironman dream course
So the question has been raised about rumors of a CA full IM. None of us think itll happen anytime soon. SO what if you could design your so cal dream IM course. Where would it be? What would be the swim, bike, run elements? Why would it be special to you? And dont worry about traffic and road closure logistics...this is fantasy.

I will start.

Swim: Lake Mission Viejo. I watched my Dad do the the old OC tri in the early 90s and it seemed like a popular race. It is one of the reasons I am involved now. They are bringing it back this year. I grew up in that waters of that lake and it is a beautiful staging area.

Bike: Two mandatory elements need to be involved. Santiago Canyon and The 84 Olympic Course. Most people have ridden the canyon route or will for the OC intl later this year but how many have done the 84 Olympic route (if you happen to be in MV and need a course layout let me know). My parents took my to see the road race in 84 when I was 9 and I remember it vividly. There are some short climbs on that thing that are just insane. Would probably have to be two loops but it would be a really challenging course.

Run: Out through MV, around Rancho Santa Margarita, through Ladera Ranch to Ortega Hwy to MV again and back up Marguerite to the lake. Plenty of downhill to offset the uphill...ball buster for sure

Dare to dream I say. WHo knows you might get a burr your and just do it on your own someday.

Ill be looking forward to everyones responses. I am headed to Mexico on Friday for a littel R&R in Cozumel.....dont feel sorry for me...it is what I need to do!

2008-04-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1312488

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: So Cal Ironman dream course

You could do an IM up at Big Bear or at Solvang. There's already a century ride there in both places, so the locals are accustomed to it to a degree. I like the concept of a Big Bear Lake IM. You've got the lake for the swim, and plenty of highway for both a bike and run.  Not sure on the routes exactly, but maybe the bike could drop down through Redlands, where they are accustomed to having the Redlands Classic every year and are probably more bike event-oriented than many SoCal communities.  BTW, the Redlands Bicycle Classic runs today through Sunday (April 3-6).

http://www.redlandsclassic.com/  

Edited by SevenZulu 2008-04-03 9:50 AM
2008-04-03 11:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by mixie 2008-04-03 11:49 AM
2008-04-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1313326

mixie - 2008-04-03 9:47 AM

Hmm, how can you have a Cal IM and NOT have an Ocean swim? For me, being that I grew up in Ventura County....

Swim would have to start at Zuma beach, bike up PCH and run up PCH

what can I say? I'm a born and raised California girl! I love the pacific ocean <3

Then again, a Central Coast route could be fantastic, San Luis area. You could bike up to Hearst Castle. Now THAT would be cool :D 

Hmmm, I started to post a Zuma or Leo Carillo swim, a ride up PCH (but you'd have to add some climbs.  Yerba Buena would make it interesting), run through Malibu colony

2008-04-03 12:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-03 12:38 PM

That would be a cool course.

Hey, I was also down there during the Olympics.... think I went to see boxing at the Sports Arena.  As an aside, volunteered at the water polo games at Pepperdine.  Pretty amazing stuff

2008-04-03 6:42 PM

Pro
Irvine, California

What about around the Monterey area?  I know it's freakishly popular all-year-round, but for good reason -- some of the most beautiful coastline ever.  I've heard there is a Pacific Grove tri, not sure if there would be a way to expand it into a full IM though.

Big Bear would be sweet too.  When I lived in Redlands, I'd get up there fairly often for hiking or skiing.  An added challenge would be the altitude.  Big Bear Lake is around 7,000 ft if I remember correctly.  A big issue would be the bike leg though.  It would almost have to be on Rt. 38, which is the main road up there, so you really couldn't close it off completely to traffic.

2008-04-03 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1313354

Champion
Northridge, California
ChrisM - 2008-04-03 9:57 AM

mixie - 2008-04-03 9:47 AM

Hmm, how can you have a Cal IM and NOT have an Ocean swim? For me, being that I grew up in Ventura County....

Swim would have to start at Zuma beach, bike up PCH and run up PCH

what can I say? I'm a born and raised California girl! I love the pacific ocean <3

Then again, a Central Coast route could be fantastic, San Luis area. You could bike up to Hearst Castle. Now THAT would be cool :D 

Hmmm, I started to post a Zuma or Leo Carillo swim, a ride up PCH (but you'd have to add some climbs.  Yerba Buena would make it interesting), run through Malibu colony

I was gonna say Zuma as well. Having done the Malibu tri there, it's a great spot for the swim and transitions. Malibu Tri handles 3000 athletes in the TA (incl relays) and major spectator, expo, and media presence. The logistics there would be perfect for an M-Dot race.

Lot of options on the ride...I'd go north on PCH to Oxnard, Potrero Rd to Lynn Rd to Moorpark Rd to Moorpark (there's some climbing), 118 west and then south to Oxnard, loop out to the beach, then back to PCH and return to Zuma. That's about 100 mi right there.

I'd say the run is a little trickier to manage if the bike is ongoing on PCH north of Zuma. You could probably get away with going south: Under PCH via the undercrossing at the Zuma gate. North side of PCH to Pepperdine heading south, then loop through the Pepperdine campus (some hills there just before what would be the half mary), then--if you can get runners across PCH--back to Point Dume and a loop along the perimeter of Pt Dume and down Birdview Ave to Westward Beach. Out to the point and then back along Westward and into Zuma for the finish.

That's my version.

I also think swim at Castaic, bike out Soledad Canyon and Pearblossom Highway to the far side of Palmdale and back, then run TBD would be a cool IM.

Edited by tcovert 2008-04-03 6:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So Cal Ironman dream course Rss Feed