General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Enjoying the Journey Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-17 3:12 PM

User image

Ontario, Canada
Subject: Enjoying the Journey
Hello Everyone,

I've been racing triathlons for the last 14 years and prior to that I was a cat. IV racer in Canada. I've done a multitude of different types of races except an Ironman distance. My only experience with a 1/2 Ironman wasn't pleasant. Although I've been involved in triathlon and cycling for awhile I now have certain limitations. In 1996 after completing a 4 hour ride with my cycling club I returned home and begin to ill. I went to the hospital, still in my cycling gear and was informed that I just had a mild heart attack. Within the first hour in the hospital I don't know how many times I was asked if I was taking cocaine, steroids, blood doping, etc. I was 32. I thought that I was the picture of health. The one thing that you cannot change is your genetics. Mine suck. It took my awhile to gain the confidence once again to begin training. I'm now still continue a train 8 - 12 hours a week and hopefully will do my first ironman in '05 or '06. I've learned to lead a very structured training regiment that includes specific workouts, nutrition, massage, etc. I'm not as fast as I once was but I still enjoy competing and spending time with my tri friends. Prior to 1996 I was the typical type 'A' and my goal was to finish in the top five of my age group. Now I train to survive. It's still a part of my lifestyle and is important to my state of mind. I now enjoy the journey and the destination is just the icing on the cake.

I maintain another training log but will update the Blog so that everyone can monitor my workouts. I've spoken to several different groups on a healthy life style for individuals with heart disease. My training heart rate zones tend to be different because of medication but excursion levels are the same. If anyone is interested I can provide more detailed information on nutrition, training, etc.

Thank you.

2004-12-17 4:27 PM
in reply to: #93855

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: Enjoying the Journey
Welcome to BT! It is great you have such an optimistic attitude after you health issues. Good luck with your training!

2004-12-17 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Welcome!  Yikes, MI at age 32?  Way too young - and it sucks that everyone questioned you the way they did.  But good for you for staying healthy!  Good luck with your training.

2004-12-17 11:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-12-20 1:00 PM

Veteran
Illinois
Wow! Sounds like you were hard hit early on... and amazing that you've gotten back into the racing world.

Welcome to the site!

-M :0)
2004-12-25 9:37 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Roadpro - welcome to the site, sorry to hear of your incident, glad it turned out the way it did. I'll be a frequent visitor to your blog as I'm more than interested to learn from someone that took an aggressive (but unstructured? unfocused?) diet and workout regimen and turned it into a schedule that works...I'm at a similar point...decent genetics, decent fitness poor discipline (diet, consistency)...Anyway, great to have you as part of the forum. Ciao. Rick

2004-12-27 12:22 AM

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
It sounds like you're giving yourself every possible advantage to have a healthy future.  Glad to hear you're finding a way to make it all work for you.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Enjoying the Journey Rss Feed