General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 57m 13s
Overall Rank = 45/559
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/92
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30
Had bagal with cream cheese and a cup of coffee.
Swim
  • 36m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

While by the clock this was my fastest 1.2 mile race swim, I wasn't happy with my performance. I did not warm up and paid the price of the first 10 minutes or so. I also found myself not getting into a good groove - much too much time with head up sighting. On the positive side, I was not fatigued coming out of the water and was ready to go for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Better warm up. Need to work on mental toughness during swim - still a weak point - focus on the stroke and swimming rather than letting the mind wander. There are minutes to save in the water!
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Very good transition - ran straight from the water to bike and quickly out of wetsuit and threw socks on. Helmet on and glasses very quick. Ran bike out of transition and quickly mounted.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 27m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

After getting on the bike - I focused on a strong bike segment. I quickly got to speed and settled in. My goal power range was 250, with the average coming in right at 246, pretty close. The first lap was great, being out at the front of the race, the course was clear an little bike traffic to worry about. Loop two was a different story - The quarter race had started and the course was now filled with cyclists. I screamed through the turn around and pounded out the second lap. My second half effort was 5 seconds faster than the first. All in all felt pretty good with effort.

Hydration seemed pretty good - I had a full aero bottle, one 24oz bottle cytomax and a 24oz bottle of water. Did about a full bottle per hour, finishing with about a half left. Legs cramped a couple of times on the bike, enuralite capsules did the trick. Had gels about every 45 minutes chased with water.
Had trouble with speed pickup and HR. Didn't really matter - Power number was most important. Put them out of my mind and focussed on turning the pedals over.

remember to set the HR pickup once settled.

Test bike computer setup BEFORE - ensure speed pickup is working properly
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Very fast transition! Ran bike in and quickly out of shoes / helmet and into running gear - grabbed race belt and hat, putting them on while leaving transition.

Nothing - went really well!
Run
  • 1h 50m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started out really well. I was shooting for 7:45 average pace. The first mile went down at 7:40, and I was feeling pretty good. My quads were really burning, but the lungs felt ok and was feeling good, all things considered. Mile 2 came in, 7:24, I was really feeling pumped, legs really sore, but felt like I could hold the pace. Mile 3 was 7:18 and I was having the race of my life! That's when things started to fail. My lower back started bothering me during that 4th mile, causing me to let up a bit, with mile 4 at 8:09. It started to get worse, the next split at 8:52. I took more enduralites, got some extra fluids and did my best to stretch the back out. I pulled the pace back in, 8:23, but just couldn't keep it there, back just really hurting. By the end of the first loop, I was right at 4 hours. I had 1 lap to go in under 60 minutes to break 5 hours. I could do it - I knew I could - that meant keeping the splits under 9 minutes. I took each mile at a time, working to keep going and keep under the time bar. Mile 8, 9 , 10 came and went - Eleven seemed to take forever. Finally 12 showed on the horizon - only 1 mile to go. Clock showed 4:48:30 - I gave everything I had, trying to fight back as many seconds as I could. The best sight was the finish line, hearing my name called out and being 45th finisher overall - it made it all worth it!

I'm really hard on myself - always room to improve. I know I can run faster and maintain pace, sub 8 minute miles should have been no problem. Will work the core more working towards next race and just keep up the training!
Post race
Event comments:

Overall a very good race. My main goal for the race was to break 5 hours and qualify for the HalfMax Championships - mission accomplished. I didn't quite hit my stretch goal of 4:52, but still a very good result, beating my previous HIM by 30 minutes! Season is still young - lots of racing ahead of me!

Last updated: 2008-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/92
Overall: 122/559
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Box shaped swim in Bayou - straight out with left turn and then another left back to shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:27:02 | 56 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/92
Overall: 20/559
Performance: Good
Average Power: 245 watts
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: course was two loops straight down the island - dead flat with constant cross wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:16 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/92
Overall: 140/559
Performance: Below average
Average HR: 167
Course: Flat, two loops thru Moody Gardens and surrounding area
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-04 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Arnold, MD
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-04-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1316253

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Great race! Way to meet your goals and find spots to always get better! Good luck at the HalfMax Championships!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed