United States
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. On the 45 minute drive ate half a bagel and drank my pre-race Diet Coke. Got registered and met up with friends.
Event warmup:

No real warmup, just a bit of stretching and deciding what to wear since it was still a bit cold in the morning.
Run
  • 2h 03m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a training race for the upcoming Flying Pig Marathon on 5/4/08. My plan was to do the 13.1 and then go back out for 5 more miles. I started off running with two friends and we were probably going a bit faster than I should've been. It's hard to hold back when you're in a race though. I actually felt fine for the whole half mary, but going out for the extra miles was tough. I ended up doing a total of 17.5 miles, so just shy of my goal. I took about a five minute break after running the half to get a banana and waited on a friend. This was a bad idea. I felt tight and got cold after that and the last four miles were tough. Anyway, still a good training run for the upcoming marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Start out slower. Skip the 5 minute break.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did some really good stretching, and got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, just trying to get in the training miles.

Event comments:

This was a half and full marathon. It was a great race for the price! Only $15 if you register early enough. You'd be hard pressed to find a marathon for that price anywhere. The course was a bit on the boring side, but it was perfect for anyone looking for a training race. Gatorade and water approximately every 2 miles, cops and volunteers at intersections. Would've liked to have seen better mile markers... ran by many without noticing them.

Last updated: 2008-04-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Starts out with about a 2 mile loop in Xenia, then works it's way out to bike path which was pretty much totally flat. Some small rollers in the first couple miles but nothing big at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes