General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike or Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-17 8:41 PM

Fresno,Ca
Subject: Road Bike or Tri Bike
Ok, Now Im really confused. I appreciate the letters on my last post regarding Felt or Cervelo bikes. I just returned from my LBS more confused than ever. After questioning me about my plans to use the bike, The LBS guy said that I might want to consider a road bike with Aero bars because it will be a more comfortable ride for what I will be doing most. My area has some very nice roads up in the foothills and I will be doing the majority of my riding there with a few tri's mixed in.
While I was there I rode the Felt 25 and the Specialized allez comp. Both are about $1600. The Felt was very rough. I felt every bump on the asphalt. The specialized on the other hand was a dream to ride. It was soooo smooth. I couldnt believe it was a road bike. It had some Zert things in the seat post, forks and seat stays that he said help smooth out the ride. I must say it was a HUUUUGE difference. What do you all think about getting a road bike and setting it up for tri's? Thanks again, Mike.....Hopefully someday I can make a decision.

2004-12-17 8:48 PM
in reply to: #93937

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Road Bike or Tri Bike
I had the same dilemma when I went to the LBS. I think they gave me good advice. I got a road bike with clip on Aero bars. If you want to go on group rides, or ride in local club rides, they won't let you do that with the handle bars on a tri bike. The road bikes give you much more freedom on who and where you ride. If you find that you are a hard core tri-athlete, then you can always add a tri bike later. That is what I'm going to do.

Edited by vadiver 2004-12-17 8:49 PM
2004-12-17 8:55 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

In the most simplified terms, the comfort you get in a road bike is paid for by the loss in efficiencies from position and aerodynamics on a tri bike. Depends on what you're going to be doing the most of, if you're going to be mostly racing tris, get a tri bike. If you're doing longer rides, centuries and charity rides, go with the road bike.

This is a good article explaining the differences:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

The "zert things" are their branding of carbon fibre.

2004-12-18 2:43 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
The last thing to consider is that road bike seat angles are more efficient for climbing and tri bike seat angles are more efficient for flat roads...
2004-12-18 8:23 AM

Champion
The more you like the bike, the more you will ride it. You don't necessarily need the latest and most expensive equipment. Lance Armstrong could jump on a Wal-Mart special and pound us all into the ground on our fancy bikes. If you feel just as fast (and more comfortable) on the Specialized, I'd go with that one. Add some aero bars if you'd like. It'll do just fine!

2004-12-18 10:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Max is right. A good road bike initially is a good idea. I started on a Trek 2100 this past year and feel like the LBS did a good job of fitting me (nothing else to compare it to). The shop asked alot of questions I did not know the answer to at that time. I was learning and a good quality, comfortable bike suited me just fine. This year, I will be adding aero bars and having my set-up geometry tweaked slightly for more of a tri position. I AM NOT turning the Trek into a tri bike, just getting the set-up a little better suited for the sprints which will be the majority of the races I will do this year. Now that I am getting more comfortable on the bike I can see that I will probably get a tri specific bike in the future and return the Trek to true road form for long distance rides. Some of the best advice I got was from a friend who has been riding 20+ years. He said get a bike of high enough quality that if I did not like riding or triathlon I could get rid of it. If I did like it I could ride the bike for many years until I wanted to upgrade. Of all the advice I got getting into tri's that was the best. Hope this helps!

Fred

2004-12-18 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Road Bike or Tri Bike

Go with what you like; comfort is very important!  If you feel more comfortable on the Specialized, then buy it. It should not matter one iota what anyone else things as long as you are satisfied.  Which Specialized are you looking at?  Allez? Roubaix?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike or Tri Bike Rss Feed