Martian Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 38s
Overall Rank = 648/1443
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 75/121
Pre-race routine:

So much easier to just do a running race, no getting there early for a good transition spot not to mention bike and swim gear. Picked up race packet the day before, so I had my chip and number already. Had my cottage cheese and berries around 6, toast with PB at 7:15 ish, drank some Infint during the drive, had a Gu around 8. Used the bathroom, got in line and ran.
Event warmup:

Jogged in front of the house, and did some stretching and used the foam roller. At the race, I jogged just a little and stretched a little, with all the people I knew the beginning would be it's own warm up which worked out fine.

Looked for fellow BTer's but found no one, probably showed up to late.
Run
  • 1h 58m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Met a brother firefighter in the first mile, we ran and kept the pace easy at just over 9 to 9:30 miles for the most part, he was doing the full so I picked up the pace at the Inkster Rd turnaround, to have an attempt at my goal of 2 hours. Passed a lot of folks after the turnaround and was pacing around 8:30 or less. I felt strong, ITB's felt a little tight but nothing serious, right knee cap was getting irritated as usual.

Had 4 GU's and hit 5 water stops and one Ultima. Seemed adequate glad it wasn't any warmer.

WTF is it with fat dudes going shirtless, that was somewhat disturbing to me. Can't believe a top isn't required to participate, not to mention the morons with Ipods on that can't hear you coming up behind them and move in front of you. Now I understand why there banned at some events.
What would you do differently?:

Do more running races. I haven't done a stand alone running event in years.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around had some food, found Trixie, Triok, Ranger and RKrueser and chatted for a few with them and some other folks. Headed for home as I had some things to get done before heading back to work, should've took the entire 24 off. Note to self, going back to work after a good day of racing sucks!

Event comments:

Nice race overall on a great course. I thought the shirts were a little goofy, not sure where the hell I'd wear it, not much in the race bag. Kinda surprised I spent $39 for a stand alone running race and spent $45 on two of my Oly Tris for the coming summer. Seemed overpriced. I'd rather have the option of opting out of a T shirt.

Volunteers were all great. Aid stations were plentiful and stocked well.

Last updated: 2007-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/121
Overall: 648/1443
Performance: Good
Lost all my run splits on my Polar due to hitting the wrong fricken button, why do they make it so easy to wipe out the info? Was looking forward to seeing my HR's and mile splits for the race.
Course: U of M Dearborn, which took up 2 miles running around the campus, before getting to Greenfield, to Ford, to Hines, turnaround at Inkster, and used the bike path behind Henry Ford Community College back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes