Piranha Sports
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 50s
Overall Rank = 137/325
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Went to packet pick up the day before so I could figure out where this place was, and to drive the bike course. Good idea...I would have been very stressed out trying to find the park at dark AM before race day! Had pasta with asparagus and tomatoes for dinner. Semi-freak out when I realize that I'm now in the W30-34 AG. Lights out at about 10:30 a.m.

I created a spreadsheet to track all my races. I feel like inexperience is one of my key limiters, so I figure by tracking the details in an organized, searchable manner, I can minimize some of my rookie mistakes. I filled in the data for this race before going to bed, to make sure I was clear on my goals and race strategy.

Woke up at 5:15 a.m. and ate breakfast en route (PB & banana sandwich). I ate the sandwich around 6:15 a.m. In retrospect, I should have ate it a bit earlier, because I could still feel it in my tummy at the start of the run.
Event warmup:

Did about 1.5 miles on the run course. I wanted to make sure to get a good warm up in because of my hamstring and ITB issues...both my coach and ART doc told me to do so. Pre-race announcements at 7:45 a.m., and then went back to the car to change into race outfit. I ended up in tri shorts, a short sleeved cycling shirt, arm warmers, gloves and a visor.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I seeded myself about halfway back for the start, as it looked like a speedy field. The men went off in two waves before, and the women were the last wave (5 minutes apart) Even though this is an early season race, from looking at the results last year, it was pretty competitive. I thought the entire field went out a bit fast, but I reminded myself to "race my own race" and stick to the plan. I fell into a pretty comfortable pace early on and started picking people off soon. I kept an eye on my HR, because I didn't want to go over an average HR of 175 for this first run segment.

The second mile looped down toward the entrance to the park, and was mostly downhill. It was a good opportunity to being the HR back down and prepare for the end of the segment.

Third mile was challenging, and my pace slipped a bit. I was starting to get nervous about climbing the hills on the bike now, which probably played into the slower pace a bit. Honestly, though...my AHR was higher than I wanted it to be, and I was trying to stick with the plan.
What would you do differently?:

I wish my paces were more consistent, but that's not a huge deal. The pace actually is reflective of the course. I need to have more confidence in my hill running abilities. I run hills all the time in training, so it really shouldn't be an issue.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I'm horrible at transitions. I always think I'm forgetting something. I popped my helmet on first, grabbed the sunglasses (clear lenses for today) and had a gel.

Realize that I'm not forgetting anything. I need a routine for transitions.
Bike
  • 47m 34s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

My main goal for this race was to practice hill climbing. I've been stressing about them for Lake Placid, and this was a great opportunity to see how I deal with them in a race situation. My coach has had me work on hill technique since we started training, so it was a good chance to see how much of it has sunk in. I wanted to keep my HR around 155-157, because that's the low end of where I keep it for tempo workouts.

Since the climbing starts pretty much immediately (after a big descent out of the park), I had to get into a rhythm quickly. I focused on keeping the cadence up and my gearing. It worked!! The majority of the people I passed were going up hills. Then...they would all fly by me on the descent because descents are apparently my weak spot. I got up to 31.6 mph at one point, which is the fastest I've ever gone on a bike. Yes...I need to work on this before Lake Placid.

The course leveled out a little toward the middle, but then came up with more hills between miles 8-9. I kept with the same formula of getting into a rhythm and staying calm, and had the same result. It was really cool to pass some bikes with Zipps and aero-helmets going up the hills. (although...I give my bike half the credit for this ride). There was one steady climb of about .75 mile toward the end that was difficult, but I worked it without too many difficulties by keeping with my focus on cadence and rhythm.

After checking the official race results, it looks like I had the second fastest bike split in my AG! (I didn't check the girls who finished after me, though). The girl who won my AG was the overall female winner, so I'm not feeling too bad about that.

My overall speed was lower than I thought it would be, but I'm not complaining. I executed my race goal and feel a lot more comfortable on hills now.

Given the higher HR average, I think I need to start working harder during my tempo rides. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Still suck at transitions...this one was better, though. Another gel and I was off.

I would go a lot faster. :)
Run
  • 25m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal for this segment was just to hang on and leave everything out on course. I think I managed to do that.

It took a bit to get my run legs back, but I think they reemerged about half way through the first mile (just in time for the hills!). I knew the hills would be tough, as my quads were feeling a bit shot. I countered this by just trying to race within myself and focus on working as hard as I could at that given moment.

The hills at the end were challenging, but I did the mini-marker thing...run to that tree, run to that cone, etc. Since it was only a 5K, it went by fast! I ended the race feeling like I did leave everything on course, so mission accomplished.

Not too much. I left it all out there, as my legs were telling me hours later. I'm happy with how it ended.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to look at the sad post-race food...yuck. Sandwiches. Sorry...I can't handle a sandwich after that effort. Bagel, banana, yes...veggie sandwich, no. After that, I walked back to the car to get some warm clothes on, pack up transition and head home. (with the heat cranked!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't preview the run course before, so I wish I knew what that was like more. Other than that, for the first time in a long time, I feel like I actually raced to my fitness level. The gearing on the bike could use some work - I didn't shift up to the big ring until the end, and there might have been a section toward the middle when I could have used it.

I'm totally psyched about my bike segment. I can't believe I was worse on the run than the bike!! I think all this training stuff is actually working.

Event comments:

It was a great early season race. I'll put it on the calendar for next year, particularly if I end up doing IMLP again. It's a good gauge to see where I'm at and make some tweaks from there.

Last updated: 2008-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/325
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 7:12/168; Lap 2: 7:15/181; Lap 3: 8:02/185. AHR 177.
Course: The first mile is pretty much all downhill, starting on the road and then going into a dirt trail in the campground. The second mile started with an uphill climb, and then the second half is downhill as you work your way back to the mail road around the park. The last half mile is uphill. A challenging, but not overwhelming course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:47:34 | 13.2 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Performance: Good
AHR 165
Wind: Some
Course: It starts out with a huge downhill going out of the park, then miles 2-7 are pretty much a steady uphill - not too steep, but a couple points when you're out of the saddle. After that, about a mile downhill and then it's right back up for miles 8-9. The rest is all downhill. It's a challenging course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:11 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 7:32/168; Lap 2: 7:54/178; Lap 3: 8:02/180; AHR 175
Course: Same as the first run segment.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-07 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: Brandywine Valley Duathlon

2008-04-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1320018

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Brandywine Valley Duathlon

Congrats on a great race! You did awesome and it looks like you met all your goals. Super fast times too!

Well done and welcome to the 30-34 AG  

2008-04-07 9:22 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Darn!  There were more BTers than I realized there.

Great race!  No way to even split those 5ks--that last mile uphill is just not fair!

Best of luck at LP!

And I kind of liked the sandwiches--had on eof the veggie ones too.

2008-04-07 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Great job!! Sounds like were all in the same boat, seeing what we can do coming off all the winter training and no racing Always good to get some hills in a race before LP! If you were passing people on the up hill, that is better than the opposite. You can work on the descent
2008-04-07 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Awesome job!  Glad the rain held off, too.  It's very exciting that you did so well on the bike, especially on a hilly course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brandywine Valley Duathlon Rss Feed