Piranha Sports
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 18s
Overall Rank = 107/325
Age Group = 25 - 29 Male
Age Group Rank = 15/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am. Stuff was already packed in the jeep. I headed over to the Y to pick up my friend Taylor who was also racing the duathlon. It was her first multisport race so we talked about transitions and some other technical stuff on the way there. We arrived at the race site around 5:45am. Got our packets at 6:00 and set up our transition area. After that we got back in the jeep to keep warm. We were happy though, it was supposed to be raining by then and it seemed to have held off so far!
Event warmup:

Short 1/2 mile run to warm the legs up. I also decided at the last minute to wear my race pants instead of my tri shorts so I had to make a quick trip to the jeep to change. Got changed and made it to the start line in just enough time!
Run
  • 23m 7s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

The run wasn't too bad. MOST of it was a trail run though... it would have been helpful to know that before the race started but it didn't really mess me up any. The entire wave started out extremely fast. I hovered in the back for about 1/4 mile at my pace and then shortly started passing tons of people who were already tired. With the calf issues I was having my initial goal pace was around 8:15 to 8:30 minute miles. I felt comfortable where I was though so I stayed with it. I think this hilly climbs were a bit of an advantage for me as well due to my training on the hills around my house.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing. If anything, I would have probably slowed the pace just a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

The first transtion was ok. I fumbled around with my bike shoes a bit but still a pretty decent time. I also took a few seconds to take a swig from the water bottle since I didn't take water at the aid station for the run.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 45m 6s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was difficult for a first race. I felt like I handled it really well and I felt like I did a good job with my climbing. I also felt that I was a lot better this year after cresting the top of the hills and getting right back into the groove instead of going slow to recover from the climb. There were a few sections where the road was rough and a few sections where there was a gusty head wind, but I handled all of those pretty well too.

I don't think I could have done much different. This was a good bike for me on a hilly course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I had issues coming back into transition. The bike hit a clumb of dirt and twisted. I basically just picked it up and rand with it to my rack. I then had issues racking it, the aero bottle kept hitting the rack and the bike wouldn't go under. The transition time was still pretty good though so I guess all of those were just mind games. Got the shoes on quickly and I was off.

Have a bit smoother of a transition.
Run
  • 24m 51s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was a bit more brutal than I expected. With the hills and a lack of drinking on my part, I was surprised my pace was that quick. Usually I can belt out a great run in a tri, but with doing a run,bike,run duathlon... it's a whole different game! I also think I left some on the table which irks me. I guess just a lesson learned right?

Go harder... it was only 3 miles to the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished I ran to the jeep to get my camera so I could try to get some photos of Taylor finishing. She came in strong and I got some good photos. We went for a walk, got some warm clothes on and then went to the picnic area to watch the awards and to eat some pretzels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dont think anything limited me. I just had thoughts of my calf in the back of my mind. I was either going to slow down to a training pace or bail out if I had any issues with it. There were no issues so I just kept going and everything seems fine today. Like I said, I just left a bit on the table on the second run.

Event comments:

It was a good first race of the season. I was REALLY happy the rain held off! Taylor did a great job too for her first multisport race. She has a really strong run background and her finish time of 1:45:XX was awesome for that course and a lack of saddle time for training. She is going to do really well for herself this year. We packed up and headed home for some lunch. Took a mid afternoon nap and am now well rested!

Last updated: 2008-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:07 | 03.16 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/325
Performance: Good
The garmin said this run was a total climb of 1,412 feet. I don't think that is accurate considering the climb from the second run was just over 800 feet. It was the same run course.
Course: Run - 5K - within park. Moderatly hilly. Start at Fiddlers' Field in Hibernia County Park, 1 Park Road, Coatesville, PA Stay to right at all times. Entire course is within Hibernia County Park. Head south through park on Park Road by Fiddler's Field, turn right into campground area. Go to end of campground and around the last loop. Back towards Park Road and turn right past the park office (on the right) and left onto Park Road towards the "main entrance". At main entrance, turn back and head back all the way towards transition area at Fiddler's Field. Run into Transition Area
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:45:06 | 13.5 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Performance: Good
The garmin says the climb was 1,339 feet but now that number seemed low compared to the run. Just wondering if some of the climb from the run meshed in with the bike.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Bike - 13.2 Miles. Moderately hilly with some flat sections and some technical turns. Scenic!! Open roads - not closed to traffic. Do not cross the mid line of road at anytime please. Exit Transition area and head north on Park Road to Cedar Knoll Road. Right onto Cedar Knoll Road. Right onto Hibernia Road. Right onto Wagontown Road (deep descent prior to this intersection). Please SLOW down. Left onto Martins Corner Road. Right onto Coffroath Road. Right onto Cambridge Road. Right onto Telegraph Road (deep descent and sharp turn prior to this intersection). Please SLOW down. Right onto Birdell Road. Left onto Cedar Knoll Road (deep descent and sharp turn prior to this intersection). Please SLOW down. Right onto Park Road towards Fiddlers' Field. Head back to Transition Area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:51 | 03.15 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
The garmin said this climb was 803 feet.
Course: Run - 5K - within park. Moderatly hilly. Start at Fiddlers' Field in Hibernia County Park, 1 Park Road, Coatesville, PA Stay to right at all times. Entire course is within Hibernia County Park. Head south through park on Park Road by Fiddler's Field, turn right into campground area. Go to end of campground and around the last loop. Back towards Park Road and turn right past the park office (on the right) and left onto Park Road towards the "main entrance". At main entrance, turn back and head back all the way towards transition area at Fiddler's Field. The finish chute was just to the right of the transition area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0.97%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-07 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Brandywine Valley Duathlon

2008-04-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1320062

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Brandywine Valley Duathlon

Nice job AJ for the first race of the season...

Looks like you run paced were pretty solid and your bike split was great. Good to see the calf held up well. I forsee a good second season for you.

2008-04-07 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1320062

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nice way to start the season!  I think that second run in a du is much different than a tri run--much tougher.  But I'm with you on needing to be able to push through that discomfort.

Sorry I missed you.  I'll make sure that doesn't happen at Philly (if not before).

2008-04-13 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1320167

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, AJ! Nice start to the season. I am glad the calf was a non issue for you. And, yes, we've all left something out there on the course; it's really something that takes practice I think.

Nice work! Those 2nd runs during a du are brutal!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brandywine Valley Duathlon Rss Feed