Balad,
Iraq
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 3s
Overall Rank = 21/58
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0430 and took a gel with some water. My previous pre-race protein powder potions haven't been sitting well. I decided to go lighter. PowerGel Latte w/ caffeine. Drank water, packed up, went to grab P but he was running late so I left my wing man. (I know, I know...you never EVER leave your wing man.) Got to the race, registered, got body marked, and set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

None to speak of. A bit of stretching. I was too busy looking for P and kibbutzing with the other participants to get in the pool.

While waiting for the first heat to finish, the alarm sounded for an incoming indirect fire attack. We all did the "duck and cover" and waited. The all clear came about 2 minutes later. Some of the first heat swimmers were caught in transition waiting for the all clear. How many racers have been slowed down by possible indirect fire, eh?
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim felt very good. Many in my heat took off in sprint-like fashion but I held my own steady, sustainable pace throughout. I was able to catch all...or so I thought.

I did a good job of counting laps, talking to myself, reassuring and pushing at a good sustained, solid pace. When I got to 15 laps, I didn't see the signal for my last lap so I paused and asked the counter. He held up two fingers, indicating that I had two laps left. I told him he was incorrect but I didn't want to waste time arguing. I knocked out my last two laps, only to finish even with the young lady in the lane next to me; a young lady that I had been ahead of the whole time.

The good news is that they recorded my correct swim time. They just added the extra lap time to my tranisition. See below.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have just gotten out of the pool when I knew my laps were done and let them figure it out. Instead, I did what they told me and did an extra 50m.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

First, I felt the swim was too short, so I decided to do an extra 50m. That added about 1:40 to my transisiton time. UGH!

Came out of the water and got my socks and shoes on relatively easily. I had flipped my shirt inside-out thinking it would go on easier. In my semi-fatigued state, it didn't. I took to long trying to figure out how to get my shirt on. I ended up just turning it right-side out and putting in on. Grabbed my reflective/ race belt and sunglasses and headed out for the run.

Just leave my shirt right-side out. I know I should consider going sockless but there are some other factors in that decision...like the fact that I have the sweatiest feet in the world. Oh, and I need to do JUST the race distance...no extra.
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I did a fairly good job of getting up to speed but I had lost all of my advantage from the swim. With the extra lap, I was smack in the middle and my minor snafu in the transistion put my behind when it came time to run.

I started out as strong as I thought was sustainable and tried to make up lost time but soon I realized that it was no use. I was passed by a couple of guys about half-way through the run.

Now that I "Monday Morning Quarterback" it, I need to push faster coming out of the transition. My pace is a full 30 seconds slower than my open 5k pace and I think these paces should be closer. Hmm...maybe that's a question for forum discussion. Maybe my expectations are too high.

I ran a smart race based on my current training goals and fitness. There's nothing I would do different tactically during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit disappointed. A mark I had set for myself in my mind was to finish in less than 40 minutes. My watch read 40:04; my official time is 40:03. I thought of all the places I could have saved four seconds and really felt like I let one get away from me. That coupled with the extra 1:40 or so I spent in the water and I would have been WELL under my goal.

I grabbed an apple and a Gatorade and went to see who was where. MAJ M was on the road already, P and B and had yet to swim. I mixed and mingled and then cheered for P as he swam. I then rode my bike alongside P for his 5k and coached him through his run. As he was standing around, B came out from her swim and so he and I jumped on our bikes and followed her for 5k.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm happy with my swim performance, other than the extra distance I did. My run suffered because I'm not doing the hard-core speed work necessary for a 5k. Of course, my weight plays a part in all this, too.

Event comments:

This is the kind of crap you get when you have Soldiers who are "volun-told" to support this event. My lap counter was a young PV2 who was probably ticked off that he had to be up at 0430 on a Sunday morning to count laps. End rant. That being said, I'm upset about a biathlon I did in a war zone. I need to get over it and just enjoy the day.

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 800 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 10/58
Performance: Good
Suit: Drag suit
Course: 16 laps in an indoor 25m pool. 10th overall swim time; first in my heat by time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  02:55
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running