General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-08 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training
I'm doing IMFL and its nearing the time to begin "official" training.  I'd like to have a coach this time so I can tweak out my best possible time.  Has anyone used any of these services, and does anyone have some thoughts on them...pros...cons....anything.  I'm trying to spend my money wisely here, plus get a great product.  Any words would be welcomed.

2008-04-08 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1324936

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training
Check your inbox, I sent you a PM
2008-04-08 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1325019

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Birkierunner - 2008-04-08 9:53 PM Check your inbox, I sent you a PM

What was in the PM?  If there's goodstuff, feel free to share.

2008-04-08 11:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

He suggested Rich Strauss  http://www.endurancenation.us/

I'll check it out for sure.  I just wanted to get peoples feedback on if they tried these other ones and how they felt about them, but I'll look at this one as well. 

2008-04-09 4:04 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I just recently got signed up with Training Bible Coaching. I already knew the guys I wanted coaching me, and because he works through TBC I signed up.

I looked at all those coaching sites/organizations, and realized that the biggest thing is probably the individual coach, not who they work for.

Take a look at the pricing, what you get for your money, training philosophy and your goals. If that doesn't narrow it down, contact them and ask questions.

Edit: I want to add that I haven't been with TBC long enough to give you a good review or recommendation. I like the system they use, but no results yet.

Edited by OrbeaMan 2008-04-09 4:06 AM
2008-04-09 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
I really liked multipsorts.com as my training plan with BT as my support community.  The message boards on multisports were answered by Roch Frey and Heather Fuhr so they were very informative.  However, BT has a wider range of topics.  The training plan from multisports was awesome.

2008-04-09 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1325090

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
rkreuser - 2008-04-08 9:22 PM

Birkierunner - 2008-04-08 9:53 PM Check your inbox, I sent you a PM

What was in the PM?  If there's goodstuff, feel free to share.

I told him I was having his love child and its none of your business Surprised   No, actually I just feel weird recommending non-BT training plans on an open BT forum - hence the PM.  Nothin' fancy.

2008-04-09 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I used the BT beginner IM plan last year to prepare for CDA. This year, I am using another BT plan in preparation for FL. IMO, it is all about how you want to spend your money. And for me (silver membership) the plans are free...that makes it an easy decision.  The downside to the plans are that they are generic in nature and not individually customized.  Is that a huge difference?  Guess we will see in November.  But I can assure you that I will be adequately prepared for the race

Edited by ADollar79 2008-04-09 8:03 AM
2008-04-09 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1325540

User image

Elite
New City, New York
I'll save you the hassle. I'm done

Edited by rollinbones 2008-04-09 8:14 AM
2008-04-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1325491

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

birkie, thanks for the consideration. It's appreciated. We have no problems with people discussing where they got their training plans or other tri web sites. This is an open forum after all. And we're always doing what we can to make BT better.

What I do find problematic is when people take every possible opportunity to use our forums to recommend a specific site, sometimes cutting/pasting their same post multiple times within 24 hours.

Where's the line between discussing and shilling? It's tough to say. Case by case, I guess.

2008-04-09 8:59 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Hope I didn't cross the line. It's a good discussion.

2008-04-09 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1325705

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

OrbeaMan - 2008-04-09 9:59 AM Hope I didn't cross the line. It's a good discussion.

Not at all. Every triathlete knows about Training Bible. And if they don't they will. Actually I think the president of their company has posted on here once or twice.

And this is a good discussion. I probably have more to learn from it than anyone else.

2008-04-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1325282

User image

over a barrier
timebaron - 2008-04-08 11:34 PM

He suggested Rich Strauss  http://www.endurancenation.us/

I'll check it out for sure.  I just wanted to get peoples feedback on if they tried these other ones and how they felt about them, but I'll look at this one as well. 

There are several bt'ers that have used Rich's plans to success. I'm using his Advanced 1/2 Iron plan as well as his marathon plan this year. For IMOO, I used his Intermediate IM plan as well as attending his IMOO camp. I like the price points and the structure/resources.

I haven't used any others for comparision but did a lenghy search process before deciding. I still use BT gold for support of the this site, but just preferred Rich's training philosophy.
2008-04-09 10:14 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I don’t have 1st hand experience with all the listed options but I am familiar with most and even know some of the coaching approaches of the coaches.

MarkAllenonline uses eGrip to create an online plan for you. AFIK the software develops this plan some input from the athlete via a questionnaire. I am not sure if you get particular feedback from coaches.

Mutlisport follow a similar format as markallen although I am not sure if they develop a training plan for the particular needs of the athlete of they give you a general plan and built upon it tweaking for your needs. Same as above I am not sure if you get specific training feedback.

Training Bible is a mix between full time coaching and general online coaching depending on the plan. The cheaper version gives you a general plan adjust to your needs (for what I can see on their website) and you get one monthly training review phone call and more frequent email contact. I think you get to work with one of the many ultra fit coach associates from Friel

EN nation is an online commuting (very similar to BT) in which the athlete pays for a annual membership and he/she receives access to general training plans and other features such as articles, videos, webinars, etc. The plans are not designed specific for the person but for the self-coached athlete it can be a good economic option. They also have virtual training groups and plans designed for specific races (i.e. IMLP)

I believe BT works in a very similar manner (although Mike can correct me or provide better info) although here you get different membership options, much more content, the outstanding training logs and a bigger community, plus growing extra features every month. I think the performance members get some sort of extra guidance via the D3 coaches.

You also have full time coaching although this can vary from getting a plan specifically design for your needs and constant interaction with the coach including even 1:1 sessions to something like Training bible in which you get a plan designed and limited communication.

For instance curently I offer what I call full time coaching meaning I’ll develop a specific training plan for an athlete based on his/her particularly needs, schedule, goals, etc and adjust it on a regular basis to make it more efficient. I develop and annual training plan so the athlete and I know what are the training phases or goals we’ll peruse during the year. I interact with my full time athletes ALL the time, via email, phone calls, messenger, BT, etc. they know I try to make myself available for the as much as possible and sometimes I am the one chasing athletes down to get training logs completed or updates  

I include field testing to develop training zones, power/pace analysis, race analysis, race prep, etc. I don’t get to do 1:1 with all my athletes because some leave far away (even in other countries) but we take advantage of technology to get some stuff done such as swim analysis using video. I also have 12 week training plans for those athletes looking for a cheaper alternative, and they pretty much get the same as above but on 12 week block, there is less flexibility to tweak the plan and the communication is limited.

I can’t tell you which one might better suit your needs, for that you have to do your homework, what fits your budget and weight the pluses/minuses, but there are certainly many great options out there to suit most of the athletes needs. Good luck!

2008-04-09 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all the input so far!!  Marm, I didn't feel I was stepping on any toes with this question, since we're all kinda adults here.  For me, it's ALOT of money to spend, and I just want to make sure I get the best tailored plan that I can afford.  I may only get one shot at an IM for a few more years, so I really want to get feedback to see what people think.  If BT has the best one "for me" then that's what I'll go with, if Jorge is best, then it's Jorge.  For whatever reason, people are not quick to discuss what "their" training was, whether it's because they paid a boat load and figure it's not worth "giving valuable info away" or whatever.  I've looked at hordes of sites, and was just wanting some "personal" feedback from those who may have tried one or some of these. 

Again, thanks for the input, I'm looking at it as closely as any "A" type personality triathlete would. 

2008-04-09 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1326909

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

It's always appropriate and ok here to ask that question.  This is an open forum and BT has no better way of finding out what we can do better to help triathletes than letting people talk openly about what they like and don't like.

And we'll never be the right resource for everyone, so for those who we don't fit the bill for, at least we can help them find the resources that are right for them.

2008-04-09 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1327133

User image

Elite
New City, New York

For the record Mike and I worked out whatever issues there were. It was more a cyber miscommunication. I'm sure had we spoken face to face there never would have been an issue at all.

Anyway, I had, and have (admittedly almost at nausium), recommended the plan on opentri.com. As I've stated, I have no affliation. It is simply a plan I found that works for me. The plan is free. All I've ever intended is for people to go there and see if it makes sense for them. It is just another resourse. Use it. or don't. Pay for a coach or don't. I just like people to make the best choice for themselves. Easier to do if you aware of as many options as possible.

Frankly, the site pales in comparison to BT. I just think it's a resourse (the plans) that many are not aware of. I certainly hope everyone returns here as do I.

Good luck and long live BT

2008-04-09 9:10 PM

User image

Master

In addition to all the resources mentioned (and to make sure you are really confused as to which to pick):

eraceplanner.com is a piece of software that has plans in it.  I've looked at it and it is really nice. 

Do a search on Mike Plumb (tripowersports I believe). $80/month for a custom plan.  It fills a niche.

Rocketman here on BT is my coach.  He also coachs about 5 other people here on BT I believe. 

2008-04-10 12:00 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

I'll give a little different perspective. I've been using BT plans to train. A friend of mine is a coach and has offered to coach me at no cost. I sent him my BT plan to get his opinion on it. His view was that the plan was great. The only challenge was that if a person had a glaring weakness, the plan I'd chosen didn't address that.

So, if you are a fairly balanced athlete, and can keep yourself motivated, then the BT plans may work very well for you. I on the other hand have a clear weakness in running (closely followed by swimming and biking - but I nail the post race party) so getting more running is good for me.  It also helps me to have someone to flex my plan week to week based on my schedule.

Bottom line, it's personal to you because of money, strengths, weaknesses, goals etc. And, IM isn't only a physical prep, it's a mental one too. Just food for thought.

FWIW 

2008-04-10 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
More good advise.  I'll certainly look into all the above options, and so may others...THANKS!  This will be my 4th IM. All others were done to "JUST FINISH", but I've put a lot of PREtraining into this, and feel I may be able to "go for it" if I've just got the right plan and coaching behind me, HENCE all the questions.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multisports vs Mark Allen vs Bt vs others IM training Rss Feed