View Member's Race Log
Alpharetta, Georgia
United States
Total Time = 1h 00m
Overall Rank = 57/62
Age Group = Under 40 Women
Age Group Rank = 19/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, showered. Surprisingly, I managed to get a good night of sleep (though shorter than usual) and awoke rested. Ate a Clif bar and had a small Mt. Dew for breakfast. Drove the hour(ish) to the site.

Set up two lockers. One for transition, one to hold the rest of my stuff. Cheered on the first wave on the swim, then went to the locker room to change into my swim gear. I listened to my mp3 player and worked with visualization. (Future note – specific songs to visualize the 3 disciplines…) Theme from Exile and 311 – Flowing worked really well for the swim visualization, need good songs for bike and run. March of Cambreadth was a good ender before watching Wave 2 finish in the pool.

Event warmup:

Warmed up with one down and back, water was a bit cold to start.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 366 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I focused on smooth and steady. I felt the least prepared for this leg, since I haven’t been in the pool a lot this year – mostly I’ve been run focused. I swam exactly like I’d visualized – and it was easy for 10 minutes… no stopping at walls to rest!
What would you do differently?:

·Sped up. I still had a lot in my tank given that I knew I had 10 minutes in T1 to normalize. It was a good pace for a tri where I’d be speeding through T1 to get to the bike though.
·I wish I’d kept count of my lengths.

Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

We were allowed 10 minutes for T1. My heart rate didn’t get very high in the swim in the first place, so I think I was probably back down to resting by the time I finished drying off and getting changed into my biking/running gear. Walked up to the spinning studio for the bike leg. I had time to sort-of adjust the spin bike I picked before our wave started the bike leg.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 9 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It’s hard not to be negative about this. It sucked. All of the bikes were set at the same resistance level – which was definitely higher than the gears I spin on the real bike. It was difficult to maintain a high cadence and due to the fit of the spin bike, I was cramping a lot after about the 10 mile mark. Like almost all of the other races I’ve done, I pretty much had my “Oh my God this sucks and I hate it” moment on the bike for this race. I know I was near tears from the pain in my quads and hip flexors (and the ego bruise, that was the most painful). The cheerful spinning instructor helping “motivate” us and playing bad music didn’t help the ego either. (Still hate Nickleback) Projecting the footage of last year’s Life Time Minneapolis race though, that was pretty cool. Given the ego kill, cramping, and being unable to hear my own music, I feel like 9 miles isn’t exactly defeat. 18mph is still a lot faster than I can pull on the real bike, after all. The bike leg eventually (mercifully) ended.

· Strength and Endurance were my limiters.
· Gotten up to the studio even quicker to ensure that the bike was adjusted where I needed it
· Mental toughness – HTFU. I think I psyched myself out of recovering after the cramps started.

Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

This consisted of wandering through a couple of studios to the cardio deck, finding a treadmill and chilling until we started back up.
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.44 miles
  • 13m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I “ran” in the 4-point something speed range until the last 40 seconds, when I kicked with 6.0 mph. The point here is not that I jogged, but that I freaking ran the whole run leg for the first time ever. It took about 7 minutes to get the uglies out of my legs from the bike – longer than usual just because of the cramping issues, I think. And the lack of bricks recently. No matter how far/slow I managed to go, I feel realty accomplished because it was my first time running the whole run leg.

· Sped up. I probably could have dogged out at least a 5mph pace after getting my legs running well.
· More bricks

Post race
Warm down:

I did some light stretching of my calves and quads, showered, packed up my stuff and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the case of swimming and running, just not picking up the pace. I'm learning about how to manage what's left in the tank still. I played it too conservatively, especially on the run. I should have been going faster because once it was over, the whole thing was over. With the bike, it's TITS. I need more time in the saddle, especially with my next race having an 18 mile hilly bike leg, so I've worked on my weekly plans to help me feel more comfortable.

Event comments:

Well done indoor race. The volunteers were supportive, the amenities were plush. I didn’t partake of the after-race food. T-shirt is green, not white! In the right circumstances, the spinning instructor’s motivation would have been nice, but I was just annoyed by her.

Last updated: 2008-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 366 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/62
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:00 | 09 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: Spinning bike
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 01.44 miles | 13m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Treadmill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-08 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon

2008-04-08 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1325096

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon
Great RR, Kate, and way to go on your race!  Despite some of the physical/mental hurdles you noted, you stuck with things, never gave up or quit, and you finished well.  Awesome!  More importantly, it sounds like you took some great mental notes for use in future races.  Hope this race kicked you off to your best season ever!!
2008-04-08 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Great RR!  I did the Lifetime fitness indoor tri here in VA and reading your report was so surreal because aside from our swim distances, we have almost the same distances in the bike and run!  i was around 9 miles on the bike and did 1.44 miles on the treadmill as well. 
2008-04-08 10:51 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Great job, Kate!  Way to stick it out and use the experience to make some notes for future races.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed