General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another Newbie post from MI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-10 1:39 AM

New user

Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: Yet another Newbie post from MI

Hello,

I happened onto this site in my endless search for new training guides and ideas to put together my personal work out schedule. But let me start from the begining... I am currently deployed with the US Marines in Djibouti Africa, normally I'd be living in Allegan, MI. I have a unique opportunity to train in a humid and hot area and wanted to capitalize on my chance to work towards a dream i've had. I would someday like to be an 'iron man'. However it has always seemed a daunting task seeings how i have never ran more than 12 miles at one time and frequently only run up to 5 miles at one time. reading the articles and threads on BT.com i have noticed i am atypical. I swim like a fish and run about as good as one too.

There is a pool here and i am trying to "swim my Djibooty off" a 50, 100, 200 mile swim program that our MWR puts on. we keep a tally and swim 1-3 km a day, and get a t-shirt when we're done. well they also put on a duathalon that i got to participate in and it litterally kicked my butt. It was a 500m swim and 5k run, i finished in 35.38 and took nearly a full week before i felt right again. I'm hoping to participate in a sprint or olympic tri when i get back in october. I really need to work on my run time and i haven't actually touched a bike in about 4 years. Any and all help is welcomed, i copied the sprint training plan 3x ballanced for beginners mostly because i can't run for very long in these conditions. I still keep my swim volume way above what the schedule alots for and wonder if i should cut back and focus more on running or if it really isn't going to matter what my swim volume is as long as i can still work at the recomended run and bike amount? another question is about the bike portion, i'm at a loss at where to begin other than just the time alloted in the training schedule.

Well, thanks for reading my rambleings.

matt

2008-04-10 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1327869

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
Subject: RE: Yet another Newbie post from MI
Welcome Matt!

You are much further ahead than most tri newbies with your fantastic swim base. Building bike legs isn't a huge deal when you have good cardio and strong run legs, you'll be sprint tri ready in no time.

So do you have access to a exercise bike or anything to ride?

BTW, we appreciate your service!

Cheers!
Glen
2008-04-10 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

35.38 for a 500m swim followed by a 5K run?  Ummm... no wonder you felt off afterwards!  That is ASTOUNDING! 

You are well on your way for a great sprint tri experience!  You picked a great site to join, and let me tell you as a tri newbie myself - you are well ahead of the game!

Welcome, good luck, and thank you for all that you are doing!

2008-04-10 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

From one Matt to another, welcome and thanks for serving.

Sounds like your swimming is great.  You aren't satisfied with your running and don't really have a gauge on your riding abilities.  Is that correct?

I received a piece of advice when I first came here and I'd like to pass it on.

"Train your weakness and race your strength."

If you are swimming every single day, and it keeps your from running and riding, you might want to cut back and train the weaknesses.  If you can swim every day and get one of the other two in as well, go for it.  Lots of folks do two workouts/disciplines per day.

2008-04-10 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1328146

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Train your weakness and race your strength.

Perfect advice!

Lots of folks do two workouts/disciplines per day.

I am still trying to fit in two a days.  I do them , but as brick workouts.  That gets old real fast!  I need to get up earlier to get in a run o rbike so my evenings are free for swim and strength. 

2008-04-10 9:14 PM

New user
Welcome! I'm also from Allegan, love to do some training when you get back. Enjoy the warm weather THANKS!!!!! Matt

2008-04-11 10:21 PM

Champion
No excuses!

First off thanks for serving!!!!

Secondly you will become an IRONMAN!!

It just takes time, keep doing what you are doing. Bike as much as you can and slowly build that base. Ironman is all about having an awesome base.

Thanks again and stay safe!

2008-04-15 2:45 PM

New user

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks for the advice. No unfortunately I don't always have time for 2-a-days; however, it's weird cause some days i can swim, run, and lift. I wish my schedule was more set in stone, but I do what I can. I only really need 10-15 hours of recovery, before I can perform again in the same event, right? (assuming it's a routine workout).

Yes that correct: I 'whip' at the swim, I can run - but this heat is killing me (it's weird to go from being able to run for an hour back home and only 20minutes here), and I still have yet to find the motivation to stare at a wall and ride that silly bike. We have them at our gym, I'm trying to fanigle one out in town though, so I can use it on our run trail. But I'll try to run in the morning to get my volume back up. I've been purposefully running in the heat of the day to try and maximize my physical stress, hoping that it'll help me out in the long run when i can build up in it. (maybe not...)

I appreciate the motivation. Again thanks for the advice.

The hotter the forge, the harder the steal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yet another Newbie post from MI Rss Feed