General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Okay, I am Officially Frustrated! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-11 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Okay, I am Officially Frustrated!
Well we are 8 days away from my first tri and I still struggle with the swim. I have been practicing, training, taking lessons since the beginning of January, and although I have made some progress, I still can't go more than 50 meters without stopping. I am sure my stroke isn't the prettiest and most efficient, but I don't think that is the issue. I have slowed it down and do my catch up) I think much of it is psychological (I have a call into Steve Sax and Rick Ankiel for advice). I picture myself swimming the 400 meters without stopping and can really visualize it, but once I get in the water panic sets in! I am sure I will eventually get over it, but that doesn't help the current situation!

My question is regarding the swim portion for next week’s tri which is a serpentine swim in a pool. Do you think I am better off stopping at the end of each lap or two, gathering myself and catching my breath for a minute and then going again, eventually completing the 400 meters swimming freestyle. Or, should I swim whatever stroke I can to just keep advancing? I am afraid if I go this route I will interfere with other swimmers, which I do not want to do (I have asked the organizers to put me at the end of the line for the swimming).

The funny this I have no problem running or biking, in fact I did a 15 mile bike and 5 mile brick Sunday and felt great.

Sorry for the long post, but I respect the opinions I have received here and I know I will get some great advice on this subject also.

2008-04-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1330365

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Okay, I am Officially Frustrated!

I was in the exact same situation as you were for my first tri last year; in fact, it was also a 400m pool swim.  There is nothing wrong with stopping at the end of the lane to catch your breath.  Move to the side of the lane opposite where swimmers need to go under the lane dividers to cross over.  Take a few deep yoga breaths and then conquer the next length.

I ended up doing half the swim freestyle, and resorted to backstroke for the second half.  Nothing wrong with that either.  I saw people doing sidestroke, in fact.

Just try to relax as best you can, and focus on your breathing.  You'll do it.  Good luck!! 

2008-04-11 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

If you are at the end of the line, you will be with other swimmers who also struggle, so do whatever you are most comfortable with. You won't be the only one resting on the wall, nor will you be the only one doing other strokes. Get through the 400 in the way that is best for you.

Oh yea, and whatever you do, have fun!

2008-04-11 8:09 AM

User image

Elite
Do you run out of breath? Try breathing out more. At my first tri I did the backstroke for nearly the whole thing. It sucked, but now I can swim decently.
2008-04-11 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Do whatever you need to to get through the swim without interfering with others. As far as the problem goes other than continuing to work on your breathing I think it's something you're just going to have to push through and past 50M. The 1st time I tried to go past I almost didn't try as I felt out of breath, etc. but made the turn and kept going and somewhere in there found a rhythm. Good Luck.
2008-04-11 8:43 AM

Don't worry about needing to stop at the end of the pool to catch your breath. You most likely won't be alone. The last pool swim triathlon (800 M in a 50 M pool) I seated myself in what was a realistic time (410/450). By the time I got half way through the 800M I couldn't get within 10 feet of the end of the pool because so many peole were stacked up resting. There must have been 20 or more people hanging around. The course marshall waved me through to go to the next lane. I finished right at my predicted time. I was 352 out of the pool.

2008-04-11 8:54 AM

I had the same problem of feeling out of breath after just 50M of swiming when I first started. I just considered it as a warm up lap and stopped caught my breath and then did another 50. If I still felt out of breath I stopped again. Usually after a couple of laps, it was not a problem. I then started working on going lnger between resting.

Even in races I get out of breath sometimes shortly after the start, but I know what to expect and just calm myself down and ease up on my pace to recover without stopping. I also try to warmup before the start, at several of my races taht wasn't possible. So I had to get adjusted to the swim after the start.

Best of luck on your TRI
2008-04-11 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacasa, my first tri is next weekend and I'm in the same boat you're in! I too wondered how silly it might be to rest at the end of each 100 in a "race"! I'm glad people posted their experience on how that chances are really good, there will be others who are resting too. Good luck in your race!
2008-04-11 9:14 AM

User image

Master

Do whatever you need to do in your first race and don't feel bad about it.  Most who have struggled with breath issues seem to say it's because they don't breathe out enough, but you can work on that as time passes.  Try to stay relaxed during the swim and focus on the fact that you'll soon be out of the water and doing your stronger legs on dry land.

Have fun.

2008-04-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1330530

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Since your going towards the end of the line on race day you will feel much better about resting at the end of each 100.  You will be watching everyone swim and you will see that happen quite often I'm sure, Some may rest only a sec or two, others a bit longer. Even without me knowing what race you are doing I"m pretty confident that you will see enough people resting and breaststroking that any worries you have about that will taken care of.. Just remember there is the extra energy of the excitment of race day which is not nervousness..   Relax,, have fun,, finish swim and go out and pass people on the bike and run

2008-04-11 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

jacasa - Do you think I am better off stopping at the end of each lap or two, gathering myself and catching my breath for a minute and then going again, eventually completing the 400 meters swimming freestyle. 

Yes

2008-04-11 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
I read one article a couple of months ago.... just stop at the end of the lane (on the far right of course) and act like you're adjusting your goggles.

There are lots of people who have the same issue. You won't be alone.
2008-04-11 10:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bluffton, SC
I am unsure of the rules in a pool swim but if it was open water you could walk it if you wanted to.

I would breast stroke the whole thing if that is your best stroke.
2008-04-11 10:31 AM

Veteran
I'm in the same boat, but my swim is 500m open water. I'm very nervous about it, but I won't know what to expect until I do a practice swim some time in the next few weeks. My plan for rest if needed has to be backstroke since I will have nothing to hold onto if I get winded.

Edited by rxman 2008-04-11 10:32 AM
2008-04-11 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1330677

User image

Master
St. Louis
AUSQuest - 2008-04-11 10:07 AM

I am unsure of the rules in a pool swim but if it was open water you could walk it if you wanted to.

I would breast stroke the whole thing if that is your best stroke.

I know a guy who literally runs in the pool... doesnt swim. Believe it or not, he is pretty fast doing this. He was a sprinter for a long time, and he says he "just gets his hips down" and can plow through the water. Not something I want to try... but whatever works.

To the OP. Its definitely a psychological issue. If you can bike and run the brick you listed, you can swim 400m. My guess is, you just never relax in the water. Once you learn to relax, you will finish that 400m no problem.
2008-04-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1330939

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I doggy-paddled half of my first triathlon swim ... whatever it takes to get through it - and HAVE FUN!

2008-04-11 11:56 AM

User image

Denver, CO
I suppose I'm just reiterating what others have said (x2) but do whatever is comfortable including resting and changing strokes. Nobody really pays attention to what other people do on the course because they pretty much pay attention to what they are doing to complete. That is, unless you are heading for the podium then people pay attention.
2008-04-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1330756

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
rxman - 2008-04-11 11:31 AM

I'm in the same boat, but my swim is 500m open water. I'm very nervous about it, but I won't know what to expect until I do a practice swim some time in the next few weeks. My plan for rest if needed has to be backstroke since I will have nothing to hold onto if I get winded.

Never raced in a Tri yet but have volunteered/watched and there will/should be bouys/boats, etc. out in the water that you can legally hold onto just without propelling yourself forward should you need to rest.

Just to try and make everyone (including myself) feel better - A friend of mine entered the NJ State sprint last year (500M), an OWS, and not only did he not train 1 second for the swim but he didn't even have a swimming background from years gone past. Cutting to the chase he starts and as soon as about 10 strokes he makes a beeline for the nearest boat (only about 25M in). As he approaches a woman asks if he wants to quit. At that point male ego kicks in, he says no and he proceeds to swim side stroke (I think that's how I'd describe it) the whole way. Way BOP in the swim but got out, got himself together in a long T1 and finished MOP in the bike and the run.

My point isn't to try this at home but with all the effort that everyone's been putting in you'll get through and then rock the rest!
2008-04-11 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Did you estimate your time well? If so you will be with others swimming similar pace. I think you mentioned in a previous post you put a really long time down...so  you will not have to worry about blocking others in.

If you can keep moving forward and not resting that will be faster. When I did my first tri in the pool which was my 2nd ever, I felt very anxious so I did what we learned in TI and did sweet spot kicking on my side with one arm in front of me. I made forward progress but didn't stop.

You have 8 days, next swim see if you mix up your stroke you can do 400 without stopping. If there is a lane next to you empty try getting to the end of the lane and pushing off under the lane dividers as that feels a bit odd too.

Best thing is to stop at end of the lane or change strokes and if at all possible don't stop in the middle of the pool. 

No matter what enjoy your first tri 

2008-04-11 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks to everyone for your valuable advice. I swam tonight, and even though the results were about the same I did feel more relaxed!

One thing I realized in reading the responses was that I wont be the only one!
2008-04-11 10:36 PM

Regular
Something I have noticed about myself is I can swim for longer periods in open water. I can only do about 400 yards prior to stopping at the end of the pool, BUT just tonight I did an ocean water swim for 30 straight minutes. I think I get bored in the pool, but being in the ocean adds a little more excitement.

2008-04-11 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh Area, (Clayton) NC
I just did my first last weekend. But I was very nervous about the swim also, as I didn't feel I could do it all without stopping.
During training I'd be winded when trying to get my 100 yd time. I just finally decided, I wasn't going to worry about it. I would swim what I could, stop and take an extra breath or two at the wall if I needed, and just get through it.
The excitement and anxiety of race day was making me nervous, but I calmed myself with what I had planned.
Turns out I did loose my concentration in the swim, and got winded. But, I still passed a few people, and got passed by a couple.

The good news about having the swim be the trouble spot in your race, you get it over with right away! Once out of the pool I felt it was all downhill!

Looking at the results I found I worried for nothing. I swam better than I thought for my 100yd pace time, and found it was 300M, which added 28 more yards to what I thought I swam!

Like everyone has said, remember to have fun. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy! And give us a race report after the big day!
2008-04-13 11:01 AM

User image

Jacasa - I'm right with you on the "dang I need more air" panic feeling in the pool.
I'm still working on it myself, and only a few weeks ago I couldn't go more than 50 either. In my trisport class a few weeks ago our swim coach instructed us to swim a nonstop 100, take a 25 sec rest, then do it again. Several of us looked at each other nervously until someone voiced our collective question "what if we can't do that? What if we need to stop?"

Her response? "You can do it. I won't let you drown."

I thought she was crazy, and wrong. But we gave it a go.... and dang if she wasn't right. My strokes weren't pretty, and it didn't feel too good, but we all did it. It was a huge lesson for me. In fact after the first 75 I felt myself naturally relaxing. I think I just needed to push myself mentally. Now, 2 weeks later I do not have any problem swimming 200s (very slowly) without stopping. I'm still working up to the 500, but I have confidence I'll get there.

I know you don't have 2 weeks - but just wanted you to know there is another newbie out here who is pulling for you and knows you can do it. Good luck on your race!
Twerp
2008-04-13 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1333915

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Twerp - 2008-04-13 11:01 AM Jacasa - I'm right with you on the "dang I need more air" panic feeling in the pool. I'm still working on it myself, and only a few weeks ago I couldn't go more than 50 either. In my trisport class a few weeks ago our swim coach instructed us to swim a nonstop 100, take a 25 sec rest, then do it again. Several of us looked at each other nervously until someone voiced our collective question "what if we can't do that? What if we need to stop?" Her response? "You can do it. I won't let you drown." I thought she was crazy, and wrong. But we gave it a go.... and dang if she wasn't right. My strokes weren't pretty, and it didn't feel too good, but we all did it. It was a huge lesson for me. In fact after the first 75 I felt myself naturally relaxing. I think I just needed to push myself mentally. Now, 2 weeks later I do not have any problem swimming 200s (very slowly) without stopping. I'm still working up to the 500, but I have confidence I'll get there. I know you don't have 2 weeks - but just wanted you to know there is another newbie out here who is pulling for you and knows you can do it. Good luck on your race! Twerp

The exact same thing happened to me a couple of months ago.  I find that if I can get through that first 100, my breathing starts to even out and my stroke actually get better.  Now I can easily do 100 every time.  The challenge for me is to work beyond that distance so I don't get stuck in the mindset that it is my limit.  My coach gives me days of short sets and days of longer sets.  Those freak me out a bit, but keep my moving in the right direction.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Okay, I am Officially Frustrated! Rss Feed